Alonso Confirmed for Daytona 24 Return With WTR

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Alonso WTR Daytona 24hr Deal.jpg

Fernando Alonso will continue is post F1 career odyssey this January with the Wayne Taylor Racing Cadillac team, taking on the legendary Daytona 24 hour event once again.

Returning to the big US endurance race for the second time this coming January, former double Formula One World Champion Fernando Alonso has been confirmed as part of the four driver line-up with the crack Wayne Taylor Racing outfit -- joining current pairing Jordan Taylor and Renger van der Zarde alongside fellow new recruit, and Toyota LMP1 team mate Kamu Kobayashi in the #10 Cadillac DPi-V.R.

“I am very happy about joining the Konica Minolta Cadillac team and Wayne Taylor Racing to race together at the Rolex 24 At Daytona,”

“This is undoubtedly one of the greatest races in America and world motorsport. Returning to the United States is always special. The atmosphere created by the fans is unique throughout an incredible weekend.

“I really hope to fight for the win, as well as having fun and putting a smile on the fans’ faces. I made my debut last year both in endurance races and with these sportscar prototypes, as well as on this track.

“I was left wanting much more after a brake issue ended our hopes of stepping on the podium. After an intense year in which I’ve competed in both Formula 1 and the WEC, I’m really looking forward to 2019 and attempting to conquer one of the most important races in the world.”

Unlike earlier this year when the Spaniard had a difficult debut with the United Autosports team, finishing a troubled 38th following a series of mechanical issues, WTR have proven to be a formidable partnership with the big American Cadillac, pitching Alonso and his new teammates firmly in the pound seats for a solid result come January 26th.

Now with much more experience in long distance endurance racing thanks to a very successful season in the World Endurance Championship with Toyota, can Alonso add yet another major trophy to his already impressive racing resume?

ah you're the expert huh?
Montoya is still one of the best .... especially through traffic....

quote:
“I watched Juan Pablo race against us at Daytona this year and was so impressed by him through the traffic, he definitely hasn’t lost any of his speed or determination,” concluded United team owner Richard Dean.

and he was able to put the crappy Acura in IMSA on pole at Long Beach this year.

ah you're the expert huh?
Montoya is still one of the best .... especially through traffic....

quote:
“I watched Juan Pablo race against us at Daytona this year and was so impressed by him through the traffic, he definitely hasn’t lost any of his speed or determination,” concluded United team owner Richard Dean.

and he was able to put the crappy Acura in IMSA on pole at Long Beach this year.
Lol I'm a fan of Montoya and know what he is capable of, I'm just saying he wasn't in he top form last season. And no I'm no expert, but experts like Marshal Pruett, who is friends with Montoya, has pointed it out before.

win some competitions and welcome back to F1 , fernando, you know....sebas and hamilton are waiting for you. And my support goes to Ricciardo! :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 252 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 168 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 124 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.8%