Alonso Completes Indy Test - Cleared to Enter Race

Indy 500 is the greatest race in the world in the same way that America is the greatest democracy in the world.

Personally I just don't find oval racing entertaining at all. Don't get me wrong, it's an amazing show they put on, I mean the pre-race entertainment is just absurd; literally the most patriotic thing I've ever seen in my life, with Fighter Jets, marching bands, cheer leaders etc. lol, it's the most American thing ever I think :p, and an incredible amount of money is put into it, but I just can't seem to get into oval racing.

I've tried and tried to see if I can get interested in it, and I just can't. It's like American football. American's seem to think it's "the greatest", but I just don't get it, nor is it entertaining. Again, it's an incredible thing, - whatever it is - but it's not something I consider to be worth watching.

One thing I have noticed is that America is very good at creating their own version of sports (typically ones that are hugely favourable to commercial television), and then calling them the "greatest" for the simple fact that it's 'MURICA! . Like they're the only country that really takes part in Oval racing and the "Big 4" sports (NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL) and then calls them "World Championships" and "World Series", when they're anything but "World".

But again, this is just my opinion and people are free to tell me I'm wrong :)

That said, I will try to watch it this year (if I can stay awake long enough as it'll be on at like midnight here) to see how Alonso will go as I do find his switch to Indy for this race fascinating!

Last edited:
If the argument of authority (edit: or fanboyism) is the reason you can't have an individual, argumented opinion, I feel sorry for you.

All argument is based on "authority" or precedent, and I choose to cite a two time F1 World Champion as my "authority" (along with the vast majority of the other drivers in the world) as opposed to an internet writer's opinion. That's how you actually argue in the real world. In the cyber world, argument (or speech rather) is often shut down or censored by overreaching authority or personal attacks (e.g. "you are a troll" or "I feel sorry for you" or "off topic").

I've tried and tried to see if I can get interested in it, and I just can't. It's like American football. American's seem to think it's "the greatest", but I just don't get it, nor is it entertaining. Again, it's an incredible thing, - whatever it is - but it's not something I consider to be worth watching.

One thing I have noticed is that America is very good at creating their own version of sports (typically ones that are hugely favourable to commercial television), and then calling them the "greatest" for the simple fact that it's 'MURICA! . Like they're the only country that really takes part in Oval racing and the "Big 4" sports (NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL) and then calls them "World Championships" and "World Series", when they're anything but "World".

But again, this is just my opinion and people are free to tell me I'm wrong :)

Okay. You are wrong. :) I don't dislike "Australian Rules Football" (whatever that is) because it's "Australian." On the contrary, I find it interesting and refreshingly different. It used to be on here regularly. V8 Supercar is so wonderful precisely *because* it's so Australian, not the other way around. Those races can be a snoozefest too, but I don't relate that to the sport being overly "Australian."

You assertion that America "invents" sports is about 25% true. Sure, we put our own spin on things, but if you do a little research, you will find, as with most things, British roots in our sports. For instance:

- Baseball? The earliest known reference is in a 1744 British publication.
- Basketball was invented by a Canadian.
- Ice Hockey was first played in Canada and parts of N. America, brought over by British and Dutch soldiers.
- American Football is simply a combination of Rugby and Soccer. We didn't invent either of those.

As for the NFL. :rolleyes: I plead the 5th on that one. lol. They are truly out of control. :thumbsdown:

No nation is perfect, and big nations are always resented, but, speaking for myself only, I'm extremely proud of the origins, even if many (or most) of our Congress couldn't even tell you what the Federalist Papers was about. So when it comes to labeling something "American" it's a very tricky prospect because we accept immigrants who want to abide by our laws (up until now...even illegal ones) instead of turning them away and leaving them on an island in the Pacific.

As for the display of patriotism that seems to pique your curiosity, that's a recent addition. I never extrapolate what a government or state, local govt., etc. may do with what ordinary citizens believe or who they are. Because the two are often, if not always, at odds. Middle America is very "Apple Pie" and such, so they are naturally very patriotic (like the South), and have produced some of our greatest leaders, such as Lincoln. But all that pomp with the big flags and marching bands (other countries don't have these? well, they should!) and cheerleaders (grid girls) is a product of the post 9/11 frenzy that Mr. Bush Jr. worked up (about the time every politician started wearing the American Flag on their lapel to "prove" they were patriotic) that most Americans now, finally, reject. Fighter planes over sporting events are a product of NASCAR mostly, however, the actual flyover is not an American invention, but a British one (they call it a flypast I believe). As with many things, we got them either wholly or partially from Great Britain, same as the ideas that were enshrined in our Constitution.

(By the way, you have the influences backwards. Commercial television has ruined the flow of the games, since there was no game day television when the games were invented).

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion. We are quite used to doing our own thing here. ;) But my opinion is that the Indy 500 is the oldest (1909), most diverse(the list of winners includes 28 foreign nationals and even one from New Zealand, wherever that is :p), most open (just pass the rookie test), and greatest race in the world. We have welcomed foreigners from almost every nation, and you can add to that the first female driver and black driver. Thus the massive frenzy around Alonso's arrival. He said so himself. I remember Michael Andretti trying his hand at F1 and being treated with contempt.

P.S. - you may want to ask the Italians about oval racing. It's true the majority are in the U.S., but that's primarily due to NASCAR and the size of America, not because "we all like oval racing." Notable ovals in other countries include Argentina, Japan, Germany, Australia, the United Kingdom, Italy, and France.

In fact, I have always said the IndyCar Series is the greatest test of driver skill because it involves racing on ovals (which is more exhausting physically, due to the danger) and very complex, but different from road racing. Because someone does not understand it, does not negate the challenge. That's why Fernando is here. He's a true racer. And a true Champion. I'll be his biggest fan and I promise to fly a Spanish flag that day...just for you. ;)

Rob, you're a fanboy. Using someone's opinion as an argument proves just that. To add to that, no, not all arguments are based on authority or precedent. Saying that the sky is blue or that a poppy flower is red is based on neither, but instead on observable reality, which some people call "facts". You don't think much before knee-jerk responding just for the sake of it, do you? And since even you believe that I may have my own opinion, saying that I feel sorry for you is an increasing part of it. Try to spend more time on knowing yourself and enjoying life rather than trying to be on top on all occasions.

Okay. You are wrong. :)

But my opinion is that the Indy 500 is the oldest (1909), most diverse(the list of winners includes 28 foreign nationals and even one from New Zealand, wherever that is :p), most open (just pass the rookie test), and greatest race in the world. We have welcomed foreigners from almost every nation, and you can add to that the first female driver and black driver.

No you are wrong matey. The TT owns that accolade. ;):D By a very long way.:whistling:

rULt7kP.jpg

15SboJZ.jpg

:thumbsup::sneaky::sneaky:

View attachment 189230
Fernando Alonso has passes his first IndyCar test with flying colours at Indianapolis, claiming the "car was driving itself" after impressing onlookers.

Looking forward to seeing Alonso at the Indy 500? Does the move for this race possibility ignite your interest in the great American event? Let us know in the comments section below!

Yep! I'm one of those that, not without a bit of shame :redface:, is looking forward to the Indy500 this year with the expectation of watching Alonso. :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back