Alienware worth the money?

Hi all...

Im seriusly thinking of buying an Alianware gaming pc
and the Area51 ( i think ) is the one I was eyeing up ! the spec I put
in the basket came in near £1300 And I was sooo tempted to hit the BUY
button but then sense kicked in and I thought lets ask the guys on RD if
there worth the wonga ...

I really dont want to spend £1300 if I can help it !!!
the cheaper the better obviusly but it comes ready to use out the box
with no head aches (I HOPE )
IF you had upto £1000 to play with what would you do ?

cheers lee

I've heard it from so many people, I get a headache. Building your own is the cheaper option, better value. You say what goes in, and you also get much longer warranty on each part, rather than a relatively short warranty on the whole ready-built PC. Also, you can upgrade the PC bit by bit if it struggles.

Hey, it's your money...

Own build now isn't really that much cheaper, if at all. The advantage comes from the knowledge & skills you gain from building it, if something goes wrong you know how to take that part out & replace it :)

This is the spec :

750 Watt Alienware® Approved Multi-GPU Power Supply
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 2048MB
896MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1
500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM
20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Writer
Single High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Port
Integrated 7.1 High-Definition Audio
gitech® Classic Keyboard UK - Space Black
Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
all in for £1,307.55

I agree with you on the getting to know components and gaining skill but I still think you can save quite a few bucks by sourcing from right places and building your won...

Another thing about own built is the pain of guarantees on the components and the pain of getting them replaced...

If you have the money for AW go for it :)

Own build now isn't really that much cheaper, if at all. The advantage comes from the knowledge & skills you gain from building it, if something goes wrong you know how to take that part out & replace it :)

This is the spec :

750 Watt Alienware® Approved Multi-GPU Power Supply
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2 x 2048MB
896MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 260
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit with Service Pack 1
500GB SATA 3Gb/s 7200 RPM
20X Dual Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Writer
Single High Performance Gigabit Ethernet Port
Integrated 7.1 High-Definition Audio
gitech® Classic Keyboard UK - Space Black
Standard Optical 3-Button Mouse with Scroll Wheel
all in for £1,307.55

That's simply very expensive....not worth the money at all, if you where to build that system you would be looking at around £750-£850 with everything you need. What I posted is better and £300 cheaper.

Own build now isn't really that much cheaper, if at all.

It is though, it's so much cheaper, specially if it's alienware :D

And most PC shops charge to much for full builds, you end up paying to much for pre-built systems, but if you have the money to spend and don't mind wasting £150-£400 or so and maybe the full PC getting damaged in the post ( it's happened to people I know ) or don't know how to build pc's then it's fine.

Or though I would use XP untill Windows 7 comes.

the Guru has made a fine example of a great pc :)

Lee
Alienware has 2 sides for buying
yes because they take good care of their products i think (and if not mistaken they overclock their system)

but no, because for that money you can get much more....or the same products for less the money and yourself build it, so you know where the problems might be and replace

and also agree waith with xp until windows 7 gets out.

That's simply very expensive....not worth the money at all, if you where to build that system you would be looking at around £750-£850 with everything you need. What I posted is better and £300 cheaper.

So the spec is a good spec tho good enough to play max on race07/gtr/stcc maybe the odd COD4/5 ?
and all for around 750/850 yes

Lee if you want to play race07/gtr/stcc maybe the odd COD4/5 you don't have to spend that much money.

I Spent £600 and i can play race07/gtr/stcc on max settings and i could even play cod4/5 with still good settings(no lag/fps hits)

If you dont want to build your own check out Overclockers.co.uk They do built systems. For example:

- Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz Overclocked to 3.40GHz! (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
- Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
- OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 Gold Low-Voltage Triple Channel Kit
- Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler
- ATI & Nvidia Graphics Card Options
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
- Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant PSU
- Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
- 1yr Onsite Collect & Return Warranty (Can collect from any address (UK Mainland ONLY) and same day collection possible if requested before 11am)

Add vista 64 ultimate and a GTX260 "216" 896 MB vga card
and it will cost £1270.96 inc VATand factory overclocked as well.

Id say that was better than the AW system.

So the spec is a good spec tho good enough to play max on race07/gtr/stcc maybe the odd COD4/5 ?
and all for around 750/850 yes

It would run those games like they where not even running :D

For £800 / £1000 you could get a i7 rig with a GTX275 / 285 and it would play those games without a glitch and any more demanding of today's games, while being future proof. Can you build your own system or know of anyone if you can't though? that's the main question here I think.

If you dont want to build your own check out Overclockers.co.uk They do built systems. For example:

- Intel Core i7 920 2.66Ghz Overclocked to 3.40GHz! (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
- Gigabyte EX58-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
- OCZ 6GB DDR3 PC3-10666C9 Gold Low-Voltage Triple Channel Kit
- Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 CPU Cooler
- ATI & Nvidia Graphics Card Options
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 32MB Cache
- Samsung SH-S223F/BEBE 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- Corsair TX 650W ATX2.2 SLI Compliant PSU
- Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
- 1yr Onsite Collect & Return Warranty (Can collect from any address (UK Mainland ONLY) and same day collection possible if requested before 11am)

Add vista 64 ultimate and a GTX260 "216" 896 MB vga card
and it will cost £1270.96 inc VATand factory overclocked as well.

Id say that was better than the AW system.

Overclockers is a bit hit and miss though, I know people who had very bad experience with them, deflict products and poor return service, while know some people and few on here who don't have no problems with them at all.

• Kyle Evers

NO! Alienware is a rip off! Do not buy one. I can guarantee that if you look in the right places you can build a custom computer to your liking with equivalent or better performance for a lower price of potentially $700. Do NOT get an Alienware.

Hi Lee ... this Lee says ... build your own, or if you can't face that, do a "design your own and we will build it for you" from somewhere like scan, overclockers type places :thumb:
IMO: Alienware lives off its name, and charges top whack for a gimmicky case with last years components in it.
That spec you showed is silly expensive ... trust Damo ... he knows his stuff :wink2:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 435 39.5%