Alfa Romeo Racing Reveal 2019 Formula One Livery

Well I used "imo", people are free to disagree, but white is a non-colour to me. Just like I don't understand how people can drive in white cars.

About the profile pic, it's mostly the stance of the car over the kerbs why I use it, not the scheme which is anything but nice imo.
Hey man, you're more than welcome to your opinion, I didn't say you weren't.

I was just interested as to how you arrived at that opinion. By the same logic black doesn't count either then?

In my opinion, white (and black for that matter) is more than legitimate as a colour option. White carries meaning and evokes a certain feeling when used well. It's a shame you don't like white in my opinion.

Whatever were Williams/Martini thinking when they decided on
martini-williams-racing-2.jpg
this colour scheme....

Best looking car in 2019 season imho. It was worth the waith. :D

My provisional :) list:

1-Alfa Romeo.
by far best looking on grid, imho. last year was great this even better
2-Renault.
sexy every year. this perhaps even more sexier =)
3-Toro Rosso.
same. cool again. no need to change much since this is only two years old livery
4-Mercedes.
shiny. slick. fast. not afraid to try new things but still good old silver arrow
5-Ferrari.
mat and unique. boldy go where no team has gone before
6-Red Bull.
love them but looks quite same every year huh?
7-McLaren.
kinda cool. probably grow on me lately more
8-Racing Point.
ugh overdone. would win a best livery award on "mardi gras" for sure
9-Haas.
black. black and some more black. so what? more details missing badly
10-Williams.
no comment. somethings awkwardly wrong and not right here... =/

Hey man, you're more than welcome to your opinion, I didn't say you weren't.

I was just interested as to how you arrived at that opinion. By the same logic black doesn't count either then?

In my opinion, white (and black for that matter) is more than legitimate as a colour option. White carries meaning and evokes a certain feeling when used well. It's a shame you don't like white in my opinion.

I'll say one thing about white to emphasize what I meant with my earlier statement.

I married a woman that didn't show up in white and loved her even more because of it. Cause neither of us had any right of wearing virgin white, and at least we weren't hypocrits about it. White is an absence of any colouring, black is the opposite, it's everything at once...which is marginally better but not by much.

For the rest, when people disagree with my statement they're free to show that choice, I won't sleep worse over it.

Well, speaking from the vantage point of someone who did 6 years of art school back in the 80s, and has been teaching art and design ever since, I must say, he does have a point. Both white and black are actually not colours but shadings, hence they do not appear in the circle of colours
Farbkreis_Itten_1961.jpg

However, we are not discussing art / painting here, but design. In design theory, white and black are very important as they form either end of the spectrum of perception. They are by nature a first choice if one considers "coloring" a complex object where the complexity of the object actually cries out for an absence of colour which helps the viewer make sense of the shape of the object. As such, white and black are the "easiest" choice if you try putting colour on a complex object. Anything you add will automatically conflict with the physical structure already in place, hence the love designers have for white objects. Add to that the metaphorical value of white as the virgin colour of modernism, it is indeed a natural designers' favourite.
As for racing cars, white is also a colour which tells us very little about the velocity the car can achieve, red, as the most active colour can do that like no other, orange and yellow come in second and third. Green tends to be the most neutral colour of them all, witness how folks always have problems telling you whether it is a "warm" or a "cold" colour. As such, it is the most unlikely racing car colour. "Blue" which is traditionally associated with stillness or silence also has its problems ...
That said, I remember beatuiful cars in British racing green and great blue Tyrrell formula one cars ;)

Last edited:
I'll say one thing about white to emphasize what I meant with my earlier statement.

I married a woman that didn't show up in white and loved her even more because of it. Cause neither of us had any right of wearing virgin white, and at least we weren't hypocrits about it. White is an absence of any colouring, black is the opposite, it's everything at once...which is marginally better but not by much.

For the rest, when people disagree with my statement they're free to show that choice, I won't sleep worse over it.

I'm sorry, I just don't see how that answers the question. You said - 'If you use white as a base then you have no idea about liveries' Or something like that. Then went on to say you don't like white...

That's why i'm a bit unsure what you mean. Is it fair to say you just don't like white cars, not that livery designers don't know what they are doing?

Well, speaking from the vantage point of someone who did 6 years of art school back in the 80s, and has been teaching art and design ever since, I must say, he does have a point. Both white and black are actually not colours but shadings, hence they do not appear in the circle of colours
Farbkreis_Itten_1961.jpg

However, we are not discussing art / painting here, but design. In design theory, white and black are very important as they form either end of the spectrum of perception. They are by nature a first choice if one considers "coloring" a complex object where the complexity of the object actually cries out for an absence of colour which helps the viewer make sense of the shape of the object. As such, white and black are the "easiest" choice if you try putting colour on a complex object. Anything you add will automatically conflict with the physical structure already in place, hence the love designers have for white objects. Add to that the metaphorical value of white as the virgin colour of modernism, it is indeed a natural designers' favourite.
As for racing cars, white is also a colour which tells us very little about the velocity the car can achieve, red, as the most active colour can do that like no other, orange and yellow come in second and third. Green tends to be the most neutral colour of them all, witness how folks always have problems telling you whether it is a "warm" or a "cold" colour. As such, it is the most unlikely racing car colour. "Blue" which is traditionally associated with stillness or silence also has its problems ...
That said, I remeber beatuiful cars in British racing green and great blue Tyrrell formula one cars ;)
Nice insight man, enjoyable read.

should be Alfa since officially the Sauber marquee has closed shop, at least in formula one. it's really weird considering they used to be a mercedes spin off, a lot of stuff happens in more than a dozen years ...
Yeah but -apart from that strange BMW episode- they've been partnering with Ferrari since 1996 in several areas (engine ofc, gearbox, etc.).

Sauber feels like they're just a TV show now which dropped it's prime time spot to it's spin-off, but keeps the show going in F2 and the other feeder series. Super weird.

Sauber Motorsport AG is the team behind Alfa Romeo Racing and Sauber has built the car like last year.
The only thing that has changed is the team name in F1 to Alfa Romeo Racing and the name of the car.
It is like Aston Martin in DTM: HWA built the car and R-Motorsport ist the team behind the brand Aston Martin.

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back