Alfa 1300 Junior @ Magny Cours & Hockenheim - Tues July 13th 2010

Carlos Diaz

Happily driving a "girly" car
flyertc65.jpg

1300junior.jpg

Servername: RD GTL Racing Club
Class: Alfa Romeo GTA 1300 Junior (Download HERE)
Track: Magny Cours National / Hockemheim Short
Start Time: 19.00 GMT
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min (1 timed lap only)
Race: 2 x 18 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins that come with the mod only.

A W E S O M E R A C I N G !

OK, I'm a bit biased as I finally got an earned sixth place in race 1 (6th out of 11), and had a nice little fight with Phil Brown, but hey, so what :D

In race 2 (Hockenheim Short) didn't go quite so well. I got off to a bad start with a tank slapper that nearly took Jack out behind me, so at T1 I was last. Coming into T1 for lap 2, I was side by side with Jack, with me on the inside. We touched slightly, and Jack went flying, so I waited, and we had a good fight until Jack lost into T2. I spent the last 5 or 6 laps chasing down Hans, getting to within 0.5 secs on the penultimate lap, but I lost it into the hairpin on the infield section, and that was that.

I think Jack Smith deserves some kudos to, as I found out he uses a flying yoke for racing, and yet still posts some good times. Well done that man!

Thank you Carlos and RD for a great nights racing.

That was great fun!

I turned up a little late and barely had time to download the mod. Managed a few practice laps but decided to skip qualy and keep practicing from the back of the field. In the race my driving was rather messy (sorry for that) and did too many mistakes. But I eventually got used to the car and managed to take P4.

Race 2. I qualified 4th and got off to a good start. For a while I was 2nd, chasing Stuart. We had very similar pace so it was very hard to gain on him even though the gap was quite small. Stuart went a little wide in one of the sharp corners and I managed to sneak by. For the rest of the race the gap was pretty much constant at 3.8 s. (If the gap had been a little smaller we could probably have had a good battle with the slipstreaming). It was a very good race, no time to relax!

Thanks Carlos and RD for yet another great event!

That was a good night Carlos, The little Alfa has very good manners and was fun to drive. MC was a good track to begin with and I qualified 4th.

The start went pretty well till we got around to the sharp R hander before the start/finish chicane. As Carlos was doing flips, I was pirouetted in a separate domino effect bump, spinning around perfectly to continue on... now I am 5th and chasing down Stefan, who slides wide entering the straight with Hans up ahead. meanwhile Knut and Tim are pushing me.

Lap 4...Knut gets by on the straight and then Tim L, but then he tangles with Hans at the Right hander again and I am back behind Hans till he losses it and hits the wall at the end of the front straight,( too bad, you had very good pace tonight Hans) and then Tims back again keeping the pressure on till he runs wide at the start/finish chicane...then Knut goes off and I get by him for a few laps till he re-passes around lap 12. In the closing laps Tim L closes right up again, even gives me a gentle nudge out of the S/F chicane to hurry me up,as we battle right down to the finish...great stuff Tim, and Grats to the top finishers Stu Tom and Bob

Race 2, needed a breather, and did not qualify as well, though the little Alfa seemed to bring out the best in everyone on this track, sorry to lose Tom and Stefan however... Started 7th, got a good start and with a bit of help was up to 3rd at the end of lap 2! now I'm having fun, trying to focus on consistent lap times and not even looking at the lap counter or gaps, although Knut an Stu where slowly pulling away.

Eventually I sense the the yellow of Carlo's Alpha behind, but kept up a good pace for several more laps till I inexplicably caught my left rear in the gravel, and for the first time tonight the Alpha protested and slide benignly into the wall entering the stadium, a quick short reverse out as Carlos blasts by and I recover fairly well, but now it takes a few corners to get back into the flow and I realize "Blue 11" is back there now. Bob catches up in the stadium hairpin but I keep turning in and Bob gives me room as we race on into the next lap. By now I realize Tim K is also there and I get stormed by both at the end of the back straight... get driving guys, finished 6th...

Super event Carlos and RD, grats to Knut, Stuart and Bob, hope we see this car again soon!

We were wondering what had happened to you Tom, I thought one of us had made you angry or something lol.
Sorry to hear about your connection problem.

Not at all, I was angry at Virgin though....even more so as the First race was so good. The car was sublime, flying through the Mangy Cours jump/link section was great fun, especially at near full speed while side by side with Stu.

Looking forward to using it again sometime (hopefully soon :p)

An outstanding mod, IMO, which led to an exceptional event. :good:

Race 1 - Magny Nat.
A couple of drivers had slower than I was expecting qualis, so I ended up near the front, but with old Rocket Bob behind me, and the equally fast out of the blocks Tom on the inside of me. I got (for me, at least :) ) a decent start, decent enough to get into the 1st corner ahead of Tom & Bob. Unfort. I pushed the loud pedal a little bit too early out of Estoril and drifted wide, dropping my left wheels into the cat litter. Not a spin, not even a full "off", but a discretionary lift was called for, and that was enough for Tom & Bob, and I ended up like that poor old sod in Spa, getting passed on both sides but Schumacher & Hakkinen. As I hadn't really gone fully off, I basically picked up where I left off, closing in on Bob who was in turn trimming the gap between himself & Tom.

I'd closed up on Bob enough to think about where I'd be able to pass, but under braking for that Lycee right hander before the start finished chicane, he suddenly slewed to the left and off the track due to, as I suspected and he later confirmed, downshift issues. It was desperately bad luck for him, but good for me, as I was just getting into the zone where I would be close enough to have to compromise some of my lines and braking points to avoid contact, so I didn't really get held up too much.

Setting off after Tom, it felt completely different to chasing Bob, as it felt like Tom was on the middle gear settings whereas Bob & I were both on the shortest. Tom was quicker towards the end of the back straight at top speed still accelerating after my red light had come on, whereas I was getting better drive and acceleration out of the slower corners due to my shorter gears. (Tom will no doubt now post that he was also on the short gears, and that I am, in fact, an idiot).

Tom went in a bit too deep into Lycee, allowing me to steal through, and then we were at each other non-stop until the race end. I was getting better initial acceleration out of Estoril, then Tom would try and slipstream and get level, but I'd be later on the brakes, and hit the chicane first. Then on about lap 15 or so, Tom got easily the better drive out of Estoril, got level into the chicane braking zone, and braked later than I could, so I had to concede the corner. Luckily enough for me, I managed to slip back past after some extra late braking and some early throttle on pretty second hand tyres, and I knew all I had to do was stay in front until the chicane where Tom was quickest. I managed to just about do it, and came home, avoiding the spinning Jack on the S/F straight.

Brilliant, brilliant, nip/tuck stuff with Bob early on, and especially with Tom after that.

Race 2 - Hock Short
This track kind of polarises people, some love it, some hate it, and I'm very much in the love camp. Pretty good times straight away, I knew I'd be at least near the sharp end. Managed a good lap in quali and sneaked a pole.

Got away well (again, it's all relative :D ) and off I went. with Bob & Knut in pursuit. Bob had an off, which released Knut, who was gaining all the time - I think he's being rather generous to say it was only 0.1 :). Anyway, Knut closed in, but I reckoned I could make it really hard for him to pass, utnil I came round the curve approaching the hairpin, and someone had taken out the 50m board, which I was using for my whole braking, downshifting and turn-in process (serves me right for not using something that can't get knocked over). That totally threw me, and so I slithered on and out the back of the hairpin helplessly, and Knut went through. That was about a 1.5 sec gap, but while it did stay pretty constant for a while, I never really managed to close in apart from the odd lap where I threw in a low 1.17, and he'd do a high 1.17, so it kept me interested.

Then my interest kind of took a kick in the knackers, as I was having a bit of a ragged lap as the tyres suddenly got...interesting, a mid 1.18, but the fiend Omdal throws in a mid 1.16. :frown:

That 2 second swing suddenly pushed the gap out to about 5 sec from just under 3 sec, and despite me having a few banzai slidey-slideys, and nicking the odd tenth here and there, it was pretty much hold stations until the end of the race. Great driving Knut, thoroughly deserved. An honourable mention in despatches for Bob who fought all the way back from his off to grab a podium.

As I say, this mod is magnif, and I think the Junior will prove a very good competitor to the Fiat 131, so long as the track isn't too 'fast', as the 131 has that serious issue of too-short gearing options, severely capping the top speed.

Thanks to Carlos for another cracking Tuesday Club & RD

As I say, this mod is magnif, and I think the Junior will prove a very good competitor to the Fiat 131, so long as the track isn't too 'fast', as the 131 has that serious issue of too-short gearing options, severely capping the top speed.

Great report Stu:good: I forgot to say how much I liked the mod! Concerning the Fiat it is very easy to add a final drive ratio. Just change two lines in the .grb and .hdc file and make sure we all use the same files (otherwise the server would detect cheating).

My realistic goal now in these race events is "try not to be lapped", up from an earlier goal of "just try to finish a race". That realistic goal never came to be in these two races today but were close to being achieved. In fact, as Stu mentioned in R1 he lapped me on the last lap at the S/F straight because I decide to get too heavy with the gas pedal and began fishtailing.. hitting the left wall I believe.

In the second race I was not that far off the pack pace but I left the track a few times due to: pressing too hard trying to close any gaps or using the old drivng in the mirror trick, which spelt diaster and I was eventually lapped. Had a great time trying to out do Tim who finally got me.

Thanks to all for a great time, to Carlos for the events and to Bob who spent hours with me on the computer trying to fix a game bug.

After receiving a new part fore my gear (broke my break pedal lol) on Tuesday , so no practice at all, going online to get the "Alfa"under control ,it's a great mod good fun to drive a bit tail happy.

Q on p7 not bat at all,good start passing Philip on the long strait an after lap 1 on p4??(some guys in trouble)Knut was getting on steam an passed Philip an was rapidly closing an passed me in lap 3 , on the last corner of lap 3 Tim L try to pass me on the inside but shoot him self off an Philip back on my bumber but I stay in front for a few laps.
Then at the end of the long strait just before the "Turn-Jump-Turn"watching my mirror to see where Philips was an go to wide in the corner ,game across a concrete wall(who put it there??) to renew my acquaintance (not the first time we met) try to run it over but Junior was not strong enough,engine dead race over on p5 after 6 laps (shame).

Watch a good fight between Stuart an Tom nice to see; Stuart just fore Tom,grats guys.

The car give not the same feeling on Hockenheim ,had more problem to hold it on track an lost the car a few times no idea why, but I was not alone in this.

Q on p8 lost a place by the start ,passed TimL in T2 lost it p9 than Bob lost it,then passing TimK (good quali Tim) having trouble with Carlos, p7 after a few laps Timl an Jack having trouble TimL waiting on Jack, p5, Tim K was gaining fast I go wide before the S/F but hold it on track,Tim along side of me an give me a kiss, than I lost the car in T2 Tim an Bob go by,
p7 in the last 2 laps Tim Ling was closing fast on me but hold my place to the fin.

Knut gets the price, Grats Knut
Thanks Carlos ,you amaze us every time

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 208 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%