Alex Zanardi Seriously Injured In Handbike Accident

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Former double IndyCar Champion and Grand Prix driver Alex Zanardi has reportedly been involved in a serious accident during a hand bike race in Italy.

Media reports have suggested that the four-time Paralympic gold medal winner and all round motorsport superstar Alex Zanardi has sustained serious injuries following an accident while racing his hand bike in the he province of Siena on Friday. Of the few reports available at present, Zanardi apparently had to be airlifted to hospital after an accident involving a lorry on the 146 state highway near Pienza.

Of the little information available at present, apparently Zanardi is being treated at the Le Scotte di Siena hospital, and has been classified as a code 3, which the reports consider to be known as serious.

Very little news in the English media is available at present, and I for one hope and pray this is just an over exaggeration, however once more news is available I will update this post.

Original Source; Gazzetta.it

Update @ 19.06: 19:30 BST

Image credit: @alexSchmurtz

Alex_Zanardi.jpg

Last edited:
This man cannot live without injuries. Hope it's not serious...

Edit: I'm Italian and Gazzetta (not gazetta) is sometimes exagerating the news, nothing new. But they are the most important Italian sport journalists

Several time zones and thousands of miles separate the central U.S. and Italy, but I am deeply disturbed by this report.

On track, Alex was as electric as the lightning bolts on the Target Ganassi IndyCars he drove.

His will and determination are inspiring in so many ways.

Praying for healing and comfort Alessandro and his family.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 69 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 13.8%