Alex Zanardi Seriously Injured In Handbike Accident

Back in the 90's when he showed up in CART and kicked everyone's a** I wasn't a fan... because he kicked all my favorite drivers' collective butts. But since then, after his accident and gold medal paralympics achievements, all I can say is this man is a remarkable human being. Look up "champion" in the dictionary and it should have a picture of Alex Zanardi, racer to the core, just astonishing the level of commitment and determination he has. Everyone says it, but to say he is an inspiration is absolutely true. Thoughts and prayers to Alex and his family, that he recovers and continues representing the best of what we can overcome and accomplish.

I'm reporting what I know, it was an open road outside the handbike race because they were moving from place to place to a meeting before the race, coach says that he lost control and spin in the front of the truck. He is in very serious condition at the hospital, he had a face and head surgery and we are waiting for more news.

Back in the 90's when he showed up in CART and kicked everyone's a** I wasn't a fan... because he kicked all my favorite drivers' collective butts. But since then, after his accident and gold medal paralympics achievements, all I can say is this man is a remarkable human being. Look up "champion" in the dictionary and it should have a picture of Alex Zanardi, racer to the core, just astonishing the level of commitment and determination he has. Everyone says it, but to say he is an inspiration is absolutely true. Thoughts and prayers to Alex and his family, that he recovers and continues representing the best of what we can overcome and accomplish.
+1
such a lovely post
thanks man.
thoughts and prayers with Alex and his family...
And I really wish now, after he recovers, that he stop racing.
He's done more than most of the guys ever did. He's now true icon and he should just do a celebrity appearances and maybe host a show or a racing commentator.

Truly gutted to hear of the awful injuries sustained by Alex. A year before he had his horrible smash in Germany I was involved in a road accident that has left me with zero mobility or sensation in my left leg and approx 15-20% mobility in my right leg. I was feeling sorry for myself and suffering depression. Seeing Alex fight back from those horrendous injuries inspired me. It made me realize that no matter how bad things may seem there is always someone worse off. Fight back Alex like only you can and hopefully one day I'll meet you in person and thank you for the inspiration you gave me

this sounds disheartening: "Currently, the cardio-respiratory and metabolic parameters remain stable [he can breathe and digest], the neurological picture remains serious [we have no clue how seriously his brain is damaged] and the prognosis remains confidential [we dare not tell the truth]." [my reading]

I'll x-post the same post I did on another forum.

"
From the quote[About his inability to speak at the moment], it does sound like it is a vocal chord issues, yes.

However, I've been through major brain trauma myself, and when I woke up with a broken skull and brain bleed, I was unable to speak as well. Even when my recovery were well underway, this kept being an issue. I was diagnosed with a "mild aphasia", and have been able to recover fine from it. It did take time though, and I had my last session where I spent a day doing loads of different mental excersises for the doctors to be able to figure out what kind of lasting damage I got. Turned out to be some fine-motoric issues on the right side of my body, some short term memory issues and a tiny bit of speech issues, where the last part would never be recovered no matter how hard I trained, as it was likely due to the scarring on my brain.

The most frustrating thing with it all, is that with aphasia I was able to think the words, I "sent" the words from my brain to my mouth - and I don't know how to describe it, as I cannot feel it now, but back then, I felt the words in my throat. Everything worked perfectly, I knew the words, I felt the words, I did everything just like I did pre-accident. All the sound that came out of my mouth however, was "aaaa" and "nnnn". No matter what word, no matter how hard i tried. It all felt like it did previously. It was just not coming out at all.

Man that was frustrating.

I wish Zanardi a continued good recovery! And I hope that any potential lasting issues, is things he will be able to work around, like his legs after 2001. That's so much better than things you can't work around, but will forever frustrate."

that press statement is horrific, this is a slow and tedious process, I wish his family all strength, hope they can take a break individually from time to time. also hope they are in contact with the Schumachers, I bet any statement on Michael Schumacher's situation would not read very differently., tiny tiny steps after a lot effort. makes me think of German handball hero Joe Deckarm who "recovered" from severe trauma some decades back, hitting a concrete floor that should have been wood in a gym somewhere behind the iron curtain

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back