AIW GTR3 VIR broken?

I've found AIW files are almost car specific. If Rieza used their car to create the AIW file, then the GT3's of S397 could very well be erratic. Take Limerock Park for example. The US2000 handles the chicanes with ease, but the GT3s often drift wide, drop a wheel onto the grass and spin to the inside of the track. I think if someone recreated the AIW using a GT3 car, then they might handle those sections with greater smoothness. But then how do you catelogue the various files, sort them and move them in and out of track folders so that your specific car benefits from the new AIW file.?

With rF2 your able to make multible fast paths to compliment your favorite car mods in the track's AIW which is a great feature. Your ultimate racing experence against the AI is when the AIW (fast path) was made using the same car make your using though this specialized AIW can work fairly well with other car makes if it has similar braking points and fast paths as the original car make that was used.

In rF1 you don't have this rF2 feature so i needed to install the same track multiple times and then i would add to the track's name with the car mod i used to make the fast path in that AIW. rF2 is great because it can save alot of space on your HD thus less clutter and faster loading times!

Last edited:
Just raced the GTR3 rF2 pack on VIR. AI seems to be all over the place, except for the track. While the MR18 is just fine.

Are you using the latest update? The AI should be working properly now. A game files integrity check just to be sure might be worthy. Also its worth a mention that not all the s397 GT3 car AI are working very well... like the Mercedes (is really quite off), Corvette and Radical show some poor behavior under some conditions.

Your ultimate racing experence against the AI is when the AIW (fast path) was made using the same car make your using

This seems not to be the cases in my experience. For sure different car types benefit from slightly different driving lines but this is a minor effect imo.

Other than mod cars how can you bring an s397 GT3 car into DEVMODE ? I doesn't seem to work and crashes rF2.

When you see bad AI behavior like going wide it could be a corridor issue, but in many cases I found that I needed to make tiny tweaks in the fast line manually to get the AI to act as i wanted. This AI problem was most noticeable in short radius corners (hairpins) or chicanes where the car velocity needed to slow from the first to second apex.

rFactor 2 AI has some nice features and the editor is much improved over rF1. That said the AI in general needs more work.

The braking is not very nice (constant tapping of the brakes in medium or cornering brake zones) where some s397 GT3 cars get into this cycle of on throttle, then on brake leaving short skid marks on the track in the brake zone. Also as noted, for some reason the cornering speed calculations are off in some cases and the cars push wide, lift on the throttle, correct to return to the fast line, and continue... all the while loosing a lot of time.

Cheers

Last edited:
My years of my experience from the start of rF1 (2005) to present the different fast lines can be extremely important with different car mods used. I agree that the corridors are very important on specific tracks. I done extensive corridor work on both Long Beach and Le Mans 2017 and my final results really paid off. Long Beach was a nice challenge to get nearly perfect and now runs fantastic.

Providing proper blocking lines is important which can really improve your racing experiece against the AI.

In DEV mode you can't use S397 GT3's or any car which incorporates encryption so i use a similar one.

Last edited:
My years of my experience from the start of rF1 to present the fast lines are extremely important with certain car mods.

Yes, very good. Fast lines that best suit a specific mod cars AI behavior will result in better AI.

For building generic AIW to cover a wide range of AI car types then a specific car used in creating the fast lines has little effect.

Cheers

For building generic AIW to cover a wide range of AI car types then a specific car used in creating the fast lines has little effect.
For my personal use i make several fast paths per track's AIW to cover my favorite classes when it's a difficult track for the AI. The default track "Lime Rock Park' is a difficult track for some car makes and is a favorite so i plan to provide it some tender loving care when i get some spare time!

Last edited:
For my personal use i make several fast paths per track's AIW to cover my favorite classes when it's a difficult track for the AI

What is the name convention for vehicle specific lines to override the fast path?

I have yet to find a working example in any AIW's and there is nothing in the tech documents other than the BLOCK line.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 177 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 493 39.3%