AIW changes: green flag location, corridors, pace lap lines

I wasn't sure where to post these questions I've been wondering about – they should be applicable to AIW files in any ISI-based sim i.e. rFactor, GTR2, RACE 07, GSCE, Automobilista – but I thought the GTR2 forum was probably the most appropriate, given the many knowledgeable folks around here. Others who work on RACE 07, the original rFactor, or Automobilista may wish to chime in too.

Through single-line manual tweaks or using a dedicated tool like guitarmaen's AIWCAM editor for larger modifications, are the following changes possible?
  1. If doing a race with a formation lap, forcing the green flag to wave well before the end of the pace lap or midway through the first lap? For example, CART, Indycar, ALMS, and IMSA races at Mid Ohio begin on the back straight, but end at the normal start-finish line: to your knowledge, could this be simulated? In this thread at EEC someone suggests this can be achieved by moving the teleport points in the AIW.
  2. Changing AI "corridors" (the track boundaries that they see) without changing track cut boundaries, or vice versa? As of right now, using guitarmaen's editor, I seem to simultaneously change these two boundaries, as if they were one in the same. But dealing with them separately could be useful. For instance, this could be helpful in providing fixes for "overtake stacking" problems or minimizing overzealous track limits penalties without adversely affecting AI behaviour.
  3. Separately modifying the inside and outside lines and speed cars take on the formation lap?
Thanks in advance for any ideas and feedback! :)

Yes it's possible to edit corridors separately. I use this for street circuits to prevent the AI from going 2-wide into narrow parts of the track.
Bez tytułu.jpg

As you can see here, the corridor (red) is narrowed before a chicane, which prevents the AI from divebombing the inside. But far edges (brown) and cut detection (green, not visible because it's overlapped by far edge) is still where the original corridor should be so the player isn't penalised if they drive there.

Last edited:
Also, modifying formation lap speed is possible and very easy, you just have to add FormationSpeedKPH = XX line to a .gdb file ;)

Yes it's possible to edit corridors separately. I use this for street circuits to prevent the AI from going 2-wide into narrow parts of the track.
View attachment 531395
As you can see here, the corridor (red) is narrowed before a chicane, which prevents the AI from divebombing the inside. But far edges (brown) and cut detection (green, not visible because it's overlapped by far edge) is still where the original corridor should be so the player isn't penalised if they drive there.
That's great to see! Exactly what I was hoping regarding AI corridors. :) Another half question down!

Is it possible to use the AIW editor to narrow or expand the track cut boundaries using guitarmaen's editor? For example, by letting only the cut detection boundaries be visible then using the "increase/decrease track width" keyboard shortcuts to change their location?

P.S. By the way, is that T1 at Adelaide?

Last edited:
You can download a version of it here: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/aiw-cam-editor-by-guitarman.31499/

For an example on how it's used for correcting AI fast lines and to get an idea of its appearance, check out this post: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/wp_cheat.212452/post-3461898
Yes use this, and it can edit the track boundaries separately without affecting the no-cut area. I was just working on a short tutorial on how to use it for a couple of friends. You can affect AI passing at corners behavior, and prevent crashes. Just takes a bit of patience and testing.

That's great to see! Exactly what I was hoping regarding AI corridors. :) Another half question down!

Is it possible to use the AIW editor to narrow or expand the track cut boundaries using guitarmaen's editor? For example, by letting only the cut detection boundaries be visible then using the "increase/decrease track width" keyboard shortcuts to change their location?

P.S. By the way, is that T1 at Adelaide?
Nah, it's one of chicanes on Bucharest Ring

Yes, you can edit track cut boundaries in said editor, these are the last 2 values in WP_DWIDTH. You just need to set far edges to be visible (by clicking FE button from Draw menu). Also keep in mind these boundaries are set in relativity to track corridors so if you want to make a cut detection 1 meter wider you need to set it to 1 (or -1 depending on which side you're working on).

Yes, you can edit track cut boundaries in said editor, these are the last 2 values in WP_DWIDTH. You just need to set far edges to be visible (by clicking FE button from Draw menu). Also keep in mind these boundaries are set in relativity to track corridors so if you want to make a cut detection 1 meter wider you need to set it to 1 (or -1 depending on which side you're working on).
Gotcha. Thanks so much! Really helpful. :)
Nah, it's one of chicanes on Bucharest Ring
Darn. So close! ;)

View attachment 531395
Thanks for this. I'm going to try this editing technique for my two street circuits

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 73 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 102 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 144 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 272 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 397 40.0%