AI won't pit problem

I tried 10 lap race, tyre usage x7, fuel off. My tires start falling already at lap 2 and lap 3 i can barely drive so i have to pit. But the AI does all 10 laps and are not even slower. Looks like their tires are always 100%, they NEVER pit and their pace doesn't change at all.

Am i missing some settings?

Ah cool :) Do you know what AI fuel is besides pit? I mean do they start every race fully tanked or it's adequate to number of laps? Coz i assume more fuel makes them slower, if i race with fuel off i go with minimum 1L and wonder how many liters AI have in their cars. And will they still adjust fuel in pit and refuel if the fuel usage is off?

One more question about tires, in .tyr files in some cars i noticed "1.000e-008" instead of "1.000e-7" or e-6, what's the difference?

Something is still wrong with the AI pitstops. Tried fuel usage x7 and they pit at lap 1 for god knows what reason, like half of the AI cars or even more. I'm in ~10 place after they pit at lap1 and then i'll pit at lap 6 to refuel to the end and i finish 1st with 58 seconds gap over 2nd place. Idk what's wrong but i cannot make this game playable if i enable either fuel or tire usage. Maybe there is something more to be set in PLR file or somewhere else?

Also i wonder if AI do ever pit to repair at all. Because if i play with tire/fuel usage both disabled AI NEVER pits, that's why i opened this thread. So if they don't repair, but their pitstops are longer compared to the player and they pit at lap1 to refuel i have no idea what's going on.

Yes if both fuel/tires are disabled i never see AI pit. But i want races with pitstops to make it more interesting.
I run X7 fuel to see how AI pits or if i want quick 10-15 lap race with at least one stop. Problem is there is no logic in AI pitting at lap 1 and they stay there for 10+ more seconds than me i gain so much time and positions because of it.

Tried with 7X fuel usage. Can confirm that about 50-60% Ai cars pit after first lap.
I max use 2x tire wear and fuel usage when I race against the AI in gtr2 and Ai 95-105% more in the 95-98% as I am not a fast driver.
You will not see realistic pit time for Ai as they always fuel when in the pit.
This will not change unless you or somebody else can fix the code! Simbin is not doing it as last update was +13 yaers ago.;)
To enjoy those older games you need to focus on what they are good at not the faults or issues they got.

You can write pages of faults and bug in Gtr2 and yet it is still the most complete race sim out there.!
That is off course a shame but I guess the economy in releasing race sims are not that great so the studios are focusing all or most attentions on DLC and hardly any resources about fixing even glaring faults .

I'm quite new into GTR2, was just curious if this game might turn out to be any good. My first impression was very positive and i thought i found what i was looking for but man it's such a shame coz i think pitstops, tires and fuel are very important in simracing games and here it doesn't seem to work well. So it looks like this game is great if you want to casually have fun and just enjoy driving, but it's not good for realistic, fair races with AI and competing for positions?

In conclusion, a 100% perfect realistic game doesn't and surely will never exist.
All have qualities and .... flaws or missing features .... GTR2 is one of the most complete ... but as all other ones ... it's not perfect.
And let's not forget its age ! ..... even nowadays ... some are more realistic than other ones ... but have flaws or missing features.
For AI ... there are also worse than GTR2's AI ... but AI will remain AI ... not always reacting like a real driver.

In conclusion, a 100% perfect realistic game doesn't and surely will never exist.
All have qualities and .... flaws or missing features .... GTR2 is one of the most complete ... but as all other ones ... it's not perfect.
And let's not forget its age ! ..... even nowadays ... some are more realistic than other ones ... but have flaws or missing features.
For AI ... there are also worse than GTR2's AI ... but AI will remain AI ... not always reacting like a real driver.
Well said! IMHO (other than Grand Prix Legends, GTR2 and iRacing) modern sims are basically hyper-realistic eye candy with no huevos, crummy/inconsistent FFB and lame AI.

Yeah a lot of sense in what you say. I think it's more of what each player wants and what is more/less important for him in the game coz every game is different and good in different aspects so you have to find the right one.

I'm not saying GTR2 isn't realistic but some features like pitstops and tire/fuel usage don't work correctly imo. AI tires and fuel should always run out in more or less the same time as the player. They should spend the same time in the pit etc. because right now it looks random or just wrong making racing with fuel/tire usage pointless. You win every race because they pit longer or more times or you lose because they don't pit or they have fresh tires all the time/longer than you. So we could technically say that GTR2 doesn't have these features which at least for me is a big con considering it's a racing sim game.

The point is that both fuel, pitstops and AI works pretty well but not when you go to fare away from medium settings!
like AI on 80 or 120% and extreme multiplier for fuel and tires.
My guess is that a hardly noticeable error at x1 gets very noticeable when multiplied by 7.

Have you tried the 10 Anniversary patch? Paul , Gtr233 might have reduced the fault there?
Or play your self with the Tire files!

Or change Sim, Rf2 are pretty good but also got a long list of bugs that from the looks of it will never be addressed.

GTR2 at the start is in fact an endurance racing game .... all 2003 championship races are endurance:
or
- 3 hours
- 500 Km
- Spa 24 hours.

Surely not done for short races and exagerated tyre and fuel multipliers at the start, surely added as it was mostly asked ( and still is ).... as canned effects are mostly asked for a FFB while sometimes they may mask some more important FFB feels.

At the moment find the best AI ... I should say: RF2, Automobilista and RRE ( this one very well done when using Adaptative but preparing it first ).
But they have other missing features or qualities than GTR2 has.... let's say it's mostly one of the most balanced ones.

NB even though I drove it for a few years, Race07 and Evo ... is more sprint races. Is the AI better ? I truly don't remember as I drove it mostly online.

Although I have not raced online for many years (primarily because of asinine "wreckers") I recall that other real players were much more realistic racing foes than any AI. The multiplayer racing experience is hard to beat - but watch out for moronic "wreckers"!

Right Gwaldock ... but driving in league races is basically different. ( RD Racing Clubs are included of course ).

A real "wrecker" will not be there for long. Mostly 1st lap is nearly always controled by admins as well as after an official written complain.... penalties are given for the next race first ... and if this kind of behaviour happens a few times afterwards, it may even reach a pure ban. ( this is very rarely happening ... as most league racers are there for clean driving .... what doesn't mean that incidents may not happen from time to time like in real races ).

Whatever the system ( even ACC ratings ) .... the pure lobby races will remain +- the same. I quickly noticed it in the past and I'll never drive on lobbies again.

The point is that both fuel, pitstops and AI works pretty well but not when you go to fare away from medium settings!
like AI on 80 or 120% and extreme multiplier for fuel and tires.

Thing is, that's exactly what made me like this game at first - extreme adjustable settings. Coz in other games you have sth like low, mid, high and all of them suck. Here in GTR2 i thought you could find the almost perfect settings both for AI and pitstops. Tire/fuel usage should scale with % race distance which also isn't a thing in GTR2. And yup i have the 10 Anniversary patch installed.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 93 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 69 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 101 13.7%