AI won't pit problem

I tried 10 lap race, tyre usage x7, fuel off. My tires start falling already at lap 2 and lap 3 i can barely drive so i have to pit. But the AI does all 10 laps and are not even slower. Looks like their tires are always 100%, they NEVER pit and their pace doesn't change at all.

Am i missing some settings?

Uhhh ! really what's the interest doing 10 laps with tyre usage x7 ? ....
Try with snow with slick tyres if it exists.... I'm really not sure GTR2 will be done for that. :D

Don't you realize sometimes you're maybe asking too much ?

I tried 10 lap race, tyre usage x7, fuel off. My tires start falling already at lap 2 and lap 3 i can barely drive so i have to pit. But the AI does all 10 laps and are not even slower. Looks like their tires are always 100%, they NEVER pit and their pace doesn't change at all.

Am i missing some settings?

interesting, I have made the test myself at hq barcelona with hq GTs 2003 and indeed the grid starts to pit in at lap 9 which is too high for tyre wear x7. I can drive myself till lap 5 or 6 (I am slower though) with hard tires then it is Holiday On Ice at each corner :roflmao:
Good news as there is an easy fix with notepad++
However AIwear values need to be tested more deeply then I will upload a hotfix for HQ cars soon :)

Last edited:
Uhhh ! really what's the interest doing 10 laps with tyre usage x7 ? ....
Try with snow with slick tyres if it exists.... I'm really not sure GTR2 will be done for that. :D

Don't you realize sometimes you're maybe asking too much ?
Idk what's your problem really. I run 10 laps with tyre x7 to test this thing obviously. If it doesn't affect AI then it won't do it at all, no need to do 100 laps or something.

@GTR233
So.. the solution is to change stuff in game files? Why there isn't anything about that already on internet?

No problem, Revar ... as I understand now you were making a test ... as it wasn't mentioned in your 1st post.

Find something like GTR233's fix .... is now much more difficult since Nogrip has disappeared ... there were treasures there for GTR2 that disappeared with it.
This fix will be tested further by him for sure .... this seems to do the trick ... but it's also necessary to check if it doesn't create a possible side problem ;)

Just checked a 20 min race in NGT class with 7 tms tire wear and the AI did pit, at around lap 7 and 8. Ended 1st after 10 laps in DubaiGP as I didn't pit.
There was/is a difference in tire wear depending on the brands, Michelin/Pirelli/Dunlop/Firestone...
GTR2 install here is vanilla except some graphic tweaking files, so it depends on the patch?

Just checked a 20 min race in NGT class with 7 tms tire wear and the AI did pit, at around lap 7 and 8. Ended 1st after 10 laps in DubaiGP as I didn't pit.
There was/is a difference in tire wear depending on the brands, Michelin/Pirelli/Dunlop/Firestone...
GTR2 install here is vanilla except some graphic tweaking files, so it depends on the patch?
No it depends on both the track and car you choose.
Try GT like Ferrari 550 at barcelona under 100% rain without driving aids : if you can do 10 laps at tyre wear x7 without changing tyres then you are a champion :)

>>> hotfix for HQ CARS : https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr2-10th-anniversary-patch.152429/page-5#post-3062174

>>> hotfix for 2005-FiaGT mod :
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/2005-fiagt-mod.159124/#post-3062176

Last edited:
No it depends on both the track and car you choose.
Try GTs at barcelona under 100% rain without driving aids : if you can do 10 laps at tyre wear x7 without changing tyres then you are a champion :)

Did just this. Had it at 21 mins wich corresponds 12 lps in changeable conditions and race was sunny. Had a crewchief's message "worn tires" when the AI starts to pit. When entered into last lap last AI cars pitted which gifts me victory.
Laptimes from 1.45 to 1.43 (3rd lap) dropped to 1.50 (last lap).

Let me say this, it's not me - anybody can do so. Maybe it's the vanilla game?
Anyone out there might have a default GTR2 install and crosscheck, please?

we never said 12 laps but 10 laps and it is obvious under 100% rain.

Anyway I have looked at default tyre wear values (I never modified these values till yesterday in HQ tyres so it was vanilla tyre wear values), and it is totally unfair because vanilla player tyre wear is between 1.3e-7 and 2.2e-7 whereas AI tyre wear is always at 0.5e-7 whatever compound they use !!!

So yesterday I fixed tyre wear for HQ tyres and 2005 fia gt mod with higher AIwear values and also different settings for the different treads because soft compound must have higher tyre wear than hard compound which is not the case in vanilla game.
As usual, all the fixes I have made in 10th Anniversary PATCH are dedicated to HQ cars/tracks only, vanilla game remains vanilla game (except some generic HQ textures of course) with bugs/glitches not fixed in Simbin patch 1.1 in order to avoid online mismatch for people who play online.

Umm i think i'm lost. So no AI pits for vanilla cars and mods? I have GTR2+10th Anniversary PATCH installed, also using some mods that add new cars/tracks. Can i change something myself in a game file for singleplayer or is it more complicated to fix?

Umm i think i'm lost. So no AI pits for vanilla cars and mods? I have GTR2+10th Anniversary PATCH installed, also using some mods that add new cars/tracks. Can i change something myself in a game file for singleplayer or is it more complicated to fix?

GENERIC QUICK FIX FOR UNFAIR AI TYRE WEAR :
CAREFUL AS YOU WILL HAVE MISMATCH IF YOU PLAY ONLINE SO DO IT ONLY FOR OFFLINE USE !!!

So here is a very easy and quick solution with notepad++ free software : https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

Vanilla AIwear is around 0.600e-7 so you can choose any AIwear value from 0.800e-7 to 1.600e-7 : the higher AIwear is the quicker AI pit in to change tyres. In this example I will set 1.250e-7

- you need to select all *.TYR files from GameData\Teams\ folder (you can use Windows search engine with *.TYR tag and select subfolders too)
- open all the *.TYR files in notepad++
- at the top bar click Search then Replace...

Find what: AIWear=
Replace with: AIWear=1.250e-7 //

Note: DO NOT FORGET THE // at the end of 2nd line if you want to restore default values later

- click REPLACE ALL IN ALL OPENED DOCUMENTS
- click SAVE ALL and CLOSE ALL
- done in few seconds :)

Thank you! It works and AI did pit this time. I set AIWear=1.550e-7 but the thing is they pitted almost at the end of the race. You said we can choose any AIwear value from 0.800e-7 to 1.600e-7, why it cannot be higher than 1.600e-7? Also for different tyre compounds, how the values should vary to make it kinda realistic? Let's say i set soft at 1.250e-7, how much lower should i set the hard compound? And front/rear should be identical?

Unfortunately tyre wear setting isn't scaling with race distance in this game right? Like it is in F1 games for example, no matter if you drive 20% or 100% race distance.

Sorry for double post but i noticed one more thing, AI seems to spend much more time in pit than me. Maybe they're refueling despite fuel usage being off? Coz if i pit myself the default settings are set to add 70L and i have to go all the way down to 1L if i want to change only tires which takes me 22s. AI sits there for ~34s.

I gave you the easy way to modify many TYR files in few seconds, but if you want to modify each compound inside every TYR file as I did in hotfix for 2005-FIAGT/HQ cars then there is no other way than type each line one by one so very long work.
You can open a tyr file in the hotfix I have made : as all default GTR2 cars are RWD then tyre wear should be higher on rear wheels, moreover the more the tread is soft the more tyre wear should be high. I have set the same difference as player tyre wear for the different compounds : delta is 0.100e-7

I will check about fuel but yes I think you are right as AI will refuel full tank and not only the minimum to finish race so it may explain they take longer in pits

Back to opening post, the vanilla GTR2 does it correct here. AI do pit around the time the player gets a crewchief message "..worn tires..", no matter what conditions.
Just did a clean reinstall of GTR2 to be sure as I don't want to go in a debate.

It's really weird compared to other racing games. How to achieve a fair realistic race when AI has different numbers of tyre usage, fuel and pitstop times than the player? Right now i'm winning so much time because AI sits in pit twice longer than it should. I don't even know if they start the race fully tanked or not, maybe i'm also faster here because of that. Definitely not how it should be but there are no ingame settings to adjust it.

Back to opening post, the vanilla GTR2 does it correct here. AI do pit around the time the player gets a crewchief message "..worn tires..", no matter what conditions.
Just did a clean reinstall of GTR2 to be sure as I don't want to go in a debate.
I will speak only about maths and facts : open any .tyr file from GameData\Teams folder with notepad, then look at every wear entry (with notepad++ you can search for wear tag)

WearRate= is for player and values are between 0.150e-6 to 0.300e-6 depending on the car and the softness of compounds

AIwear= is for AI and values are around 0.503e-7 and 0.517e-7 whatever compound...if you know maths then it means 0.05e-6

Now compare your tyre wear VS AI tyre wear : ratio is x3 to x6 !!!
So revar has pointed out a real unfair tyre wear between player and Ai : facts only here, it is maths

It's really weird compared to other racing games. How to achieve a fair realistic race when AI has different numbers of tyre usage, fuel and pitstop times than the player? Right now i'm winning so much time because AI sits in pit twice longer than it should. I don't even know if they start the race fully tanked or not, maybe i'm also faster here because of that. Definitely not how it should be but there are no ingame settings to adjust it.
You can force Ai to adjust fuel, open your PLR and go to line 388 and set
AI POWER CALIBRATION="4"

Another reason why AI may take longer time in pits is that they fix aero damages

Aiwear=1.550e-7 is maybe too high then try lower values maybe

Thanks, it was line 338 for me but changed it as you said. Can i now adjust it or AI will do it automatically? Don't know what exactly this option does.

You might be right that AI can be fixing some damages and that's why their pitstops are longer, didn't think about that. Is it possible to disable damage for AI to test it? Somehow i can only disable player damage.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 156 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 298 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 424 39.6%