AI seems to be very unbalanced

I really want to like the AI but I feel that it is very unbalanced in several situations. For example I tried to run a race with DTM 2016 at Paul Ricard. I usually run the AI at 112% fixed because I do not want to have to adapt it to my own pace on every track,

However, while I was pretty much on pace in terms of lap time the AI was very unbalanced in several parts of the track. I gained a lot of time in the small hairpins. But in the last sector I lost over 1 second to the AI in the 3rd to 4th gear corners. I found this to be a problem on a lot of track and car combinations with this pattern. I gain a lot on the AI in the straights (even with maximum downforce) and slow turns but lose very much time in medium and fast turns.

Is there any workaround or known solution to this behaviour?

Well, the AI isn't too good in tight turns and hairpins.
Druids at Brands, and the technical first section of Nürburgring is ample proof of that.
It shouldn't lose time on the straights though, so I suspect that's more a case of you getting a better exit than anything to do with the AI as such.
But as @Christian Moreau mentioned, it's mainly a problem when using fixed AI.
Granted, adaptive AI doesn't solve the problem completely, but it does alleviate it somewhat.
One of the effects of adaptive is that not only will it adapt to the player, it'll also give the AI access to some tools that makes it better on tracks that it struggles with.

Seems like adaptive is the answer here, no?

I have been racing the adaptive AI quite a bit lately across about every class/track combo you can think of and they seem to zero in on my lap times very quickly.

Kind of a refreshing change of pace, as with a lot of other sims (even some of them I consider to have decent AI) my go-to trick is to set the AI a couple notches slow and then see how many positions I can make up from the back. With R3E, I tend to find I end up approaching it more like a real race (e.g. getting sweaty palmed in qualifying over "just one more spot" cuz I know it's gonna be a b**** to make up positions when the flag drops).

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back