AI Pitting too fast

Hi guys,

Despite there are tons of questions involving AI after some time googling and reading some threads I didn't find anything to help me. So there is the question:

I'm doing offline endurance races against AI. Start with full tank so do AI. After the tank is empty AI pits, usually one lap earlier than me, and loose about 30 seconds overall. When I pit it took some 80 seconds to refill the tank.

I'm lost here. I put 30 or 50 seconds of lead and when I finish my pit stop I'm 30 to 50 seconds behind.

How can I fix this? Is there a config file or a place where I could set refueling time for instance or something that adjust the pit time for AI?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Despite there are tons of questions involving AI after some time googling and reading some threads I didn't find anything to help me. So there is the question:

I'm doing offline endurance races against AI. Start with full tank so do AI. After the tank is empty AI pits, usually one lap earlier than me, and loose about 30 seconds overall. When I pit it took some 80 seconds to refill the tank.

I'm lost here. I put 30 or 50 seconds of lead and when I finish my pit stop I'm 30 to 50 seconds behind.

How can I fix this? Is there a config file or a place where I could set refueling time for instance or something that adjust the pit time for AI?

Thanks in advance!
I'm late to the game, but did you find a solution?

I'm late to the game, but did you find a solution?

make sure there is this file for the layout/track you are using:
"data\ideal_line.ai"

if not, then make a copy from
"ai\fast_lane.ai" -> "data\ideal_line.ai"

edit: oh that only fixes stuff when AI is pitting first lap, not knowing how to calc fuel...i missed the part about the time the pit maneuver lasts...idk about that

Last edited:
In case you're still wondering:
each car folder (whether it's a mod or vanilla) contains either a data/ folder or a "data.acd" file. "data.acd" is a packed file which, if extracted, will expose the data/ folder. It can be extracted using Content Manager.

Inside the data/ folder is a file called car.ini. Inside that file is a section called [PIT_STOP].
In that section is a set of definitions for how long different operations take during pit stops. If the different cars you're running aren't balanced in this section then it would cause some to take longer than others in the pit.

If your cars have a data.acd file, then be aware that this file has priority over the data/ folder. This means any changes you make at data/car.ini won't have any effect as long as the data.acd file is still present. To make your changes effective, you can either delete the data.acd file or else use Content Manager to repack the folder into a new data.acd file that includes your changes.

Also: if you make any changes then your edited version of the car will not be accepted on servers. If you need to retain a vanilla version for online racing, then you might need to make a separate copy of the car for your edits.

Last edited:
each car folder (whether it's a mod or vanilla) contains either a data/ folder or a "data.acd" file. "data.acd" is a packed file which, if extracted, will expose the data/ folder. It can be extracted using Content Manager.

Inside the data/ folder is a file called car.ini. Inside that file is a section called [PIT_STOP].
In that section is a set of definitions for how long different operations take during pit stops. If the different cars you're running aren't balanced in this section then it would cause some to take longer than others in the pit.

If your cars have a data.acd file, then be aware that this file has priority over the data/ folder. This means any changes you make at data/car.ini won't have any effect as long as the data.acd file is still present. To make your changes effective, you can either delete the data.acd file or else use Content Manager to repack the folder into a new data.acd file that includes your changes.

Also: if you make any changes then your edited version of the car will not be accepted on servers. If you need to retain a vanilla version for online racing, then you might need to make a separate copy of the car for your edits.
You are the king. You wouldn't believe how long I searched for this answer

It's an unfortunate design decision. In reality the speed of changing tires or adding fuel is mostly determined by the rules of the racing series, not so much by the vehicle. Some racing series might require hand tools and gravity fed gas cans, others might have pressurized fuel hoses and knockoff wheels, more crew over the wall, etc.
It's clunky to have to make different versions of each car just to simulate how different the pit stops are in different types of racing.

I wish we could set some global pit speed parameters when setting up a race, which apply to everyone in the race. The individual cars could just contain percentage modifiers like "this car has a 10% penalty to tire change speed". Anyway, unfortunately Kunos didn't do it like that.

Resurrecting an old thread here in case it helps someone - I also just had this issue in an endurance race using Vintage cars. I was running a 'Classic Le Mans' and was losing 30 seconds or so to the AI in every pitstop (needless to say the race didn't go well!)

On checking the replay and timing the pitstops, my stops were taking exactly the time specified per litre in the [PIT_STOP] section in 'car.ini'. However the AI seemed to refuel instantly and therefore their pitstops only took the time specified to change the tyres, giving them a huge advantage.

I changed the setting on the car I was using under 'FUEL_LITER_TIME_SEC=0.6' to '0.1' so the total time to refuel was roughly the same as the time to change tyres and this 'fixed' the issue.

It's a bit of a pain but worth doing if you want a decent endurance race with vintage cars - on newer cars I never noticed as the refuelling time is much quicker by default.

make sure there is this file for the layout/track you are using:
"data\ideal_line.ai"

if not, then make a copy from
"ai\fast_lane.ai" -> "data\ideal_line.ai"

edit: oh that only fixes stuff when AI is pitting first lap, not knowing how to calc fuel...i missed the part about the time the pit maneuver lasts...idk about that
Yes the tracks have the file. It's game related that happen in every car and in every track. It just depend on the time of the tires change, if the car takes more time to change tires than you're ok if not you will face the problem. It become clear when you load a replay with the essentials app running and set the camera in any AI that's going to the pit, then you see that once it touches the pit stall it's refueled automatically and instantly.

You are the king. You wouldn't believe how long I searched for this

I've changed the PIT_STOP but it only works for the human driver not AI. In fact I did that to make my pit stops shorter so the difference to AI would be small and also recompiled the data.acd just after to reflect the changes.
So, still no solution at all until now.
I've asked Ilja (in the comment sessions of the patreon) several times already to address this issue, specially because he is redoing a lot of stuff AI related due to the changes he is doing with the rain.

Resurrecting an old thread here in case it helps someone - I also just had this issue in an endurance race using Vintage cars. I was running a 'Classic Le Mans' and was losing 30 seconds or so to the AI in every pitstop (needless to say the race didn't go well!)

On checking the replay and timing the pitstops, my stops were taking exactly the time specified per litre in the [PIT_STOP] section in 'car.ini'. However the AI seemed to refuel instantly and therefore their pitstops only took the time specified to change the tyres, giving them a huge advantage.

I changed the setting on the car I was using under 'FUEL_LITER_TIME_SEC=0.6' to '0.1' so the total time to refuel was roughly the same as the time to change tyres and this 'fixed' the issue.

It's a bit of a pain but worth doing if you want a decent endurance race with vintage cars - on newer cars I never noticed as the refuelling time is much quicker by default.
As I said in another post, it's a shame because you loose a lot of immersion. I did this and shortened my pitstops time but I don't like the experience. Let's hope Ilja do this fix.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.0%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 353 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 492 39.2%