AI Pitstop Duration Question

Trying to some races against the AI. Going into the pit stop AI pitted with maybe 5-6 second in the lead and I was able to go a lap longer so when I pitted I was maybe 15 sec ahead. Pitted, full fuel, no tire(90L, VRC LMP900 cars). coming out and I am 22 sec behind? I stumbled a bit pulling away but losing 35 sec vs AI only losing 10? 2nd stop, AI leads by 21 sec still, after its pitstop I JUST made it ahead of the AI at the pit exit. I went into replay to see its stop. It was stationary for maybe 3 sec and limiter to limiter it was about maybe 30 sec total(at Le Mans). Unless its short fueling by some significant amount it seems kinda weird, considering it really only differs in range by maybe 1 lap.

The same is happening to me. I opened a thread also.
I believe too few people do races that need to pit, they prefer shorter ones and eventually race online.
That said I really don't know if someone will have the answer to that.
I'm doing endurance races from '70s in a half distance. For Daytona and Sebring it was ok because I could open up enough time in the lead, but know that I'm in Brands Hatch, no chance.
My pit time to fully refuel is about 80 seconds for the AI it's about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Yeah I am not sure if I've ever gotten an answer anywhere. I've ran more races since and sometimes it seems fine other times it puts a lot of effort to catch them, sometimes its not possible. I've normally try to run a 2 hours long race, with time acceleration and increased fuel burn to get the race to be based on my range about 2 or 3 stops. On some mod it seems to be worse than others, maybe it has something to do with fuel flow rate and maybe it penalizes more at certain point.

Yeah I am not sure if I've ever gotten an answer anywhere. I've ran more races since and sometimes it seems fine other times it puts a lot of effort to catch them, sometimes its not possible. I've normally try to run a 2 hours long race, with time acceleration and increased fuel burn to get the race to be based on my range about 2 or 3 stops. On some mod it seems to be worse than others, maybe it has something to do with fuel flow rate and maybe it penalizes more at certain point.
I imagine that somewhere in the configs of each car must have data regarding in fuel flux or time to refuel.
If I find something I let you know!

Well, the config has a number (car.ini, fuel_litre_time_sec=) but there's no reason it would be different for players and AI.
Thanks mate,

I did find one thread today saying something like that, but appears to only affect the player not the AI.

I also found something related to the length of the track, that should be in Km because the AI will build strategy upon it, but it's Kunos track and it's in Km so must be a cold clue.

I'm going to give it a try. In the worst case I change the fuel flux for me to be competitive, but would still prefer to be related with real life if possible.

*PS: Just saw that the clue to length was giving by you in other thread and is in meters!

Last edited:
Yeah to my knowledge car/track have fuel consumption hints that are used when the AI has done 0 laps in the session, if you do a combined practice/qualify/race session then it'll learn what it needs for the race.

Yeah to my knowledge car/track have fuel consumption hints that are used when the AI has done 0 laps in the session, if you do a combined practice/qualify/race session then it'll learn what it needs for the race.
I will try this today to see if anything changes, but as I was already running a time of qualifying I believe the math for AI was already right.
Yesterday I made a decent math for my pit instead of just filling the tank and I was putting 14 liters more than necessary, meaning 8.4 seconds lost.
I made a race to try and the AI made the same math, we pitted in the same lap, but I was leading by 30 seconds and still went 20 seconds adrift after the pit.
The car.ini indicates 0.6 seconds per liter and I'm going to change to 0.5 so 100 liters will take 10 seconds less. I believe it will be enough to give a competitive race where I don't need to take too much risks and make qualifying laps to try to open a massive difference in order to win.
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Hi there,
Reliving this thread because passed a year and I got no workaround.
I've watched some replays of my races with essentials app running to see what AI is doing and ... bullseye, once they stop at pit stall they got their tank fully refueled instantly, like a programmatic stuff.
So their pit lasts only the time to change tires.
It's really mesmerizing, because there is no info in the net.
Recently I was looking for variables from AI to see if there was something there missing, but can't come close to an end in this matter.
It's really frustrating because, last year I've raced a 70's WSC endurance in half distance and really struggled in more twisting circuits to have a pace fast enough to overcome the pit deficit. I've "cheated" by reducing the time to refuel my car as Stereo has proposed to help, and thus could do some decent races, but others was a complete disaster, making such a big and waited project a bit of a disappointment.
And I'm not addressing the problems with damaged (crashed) cars that come back to track running in such slow speeds with suspension problems that spoil the race causing traffic jamming and more crashes.... And the AI lines, track boundaries... the list goes on.
If someone could find a solution for this refuel time problem or how to get this instantaneous refuel disabled making the game to refuel in the proper time, please let us know.
For me, I'll keep trying to find a solution as I really do almost only offline races.
... who knows in the coming year, with this fixed and more knowledge to overcome the game limitations, track and AI problems I redo my 70's project in a more proper manner.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back