F1 2014 Ai lap times way too fast at the end of a race.

F1 2014 The Game (Codemasters)
I think this has been reported in a few different ways previously. I am hoping that someone can come up with a solution. ? It's ruining the game
By the last third of a season race (100% distance) the Ai are lapping quicker than the start by about three to four seconds. I accept this as track rubbering in and less fuel. However, my own respective lap times are only about 1 or 2 seconds quicker on average. This meaning when i have a healthy lead or track position i find myself having to defend aggressively, then watching cars i have lapped trying to unlap themselves. The final 10 laps a car that i was pace matching mid race can finish 20 seconds ahead of me without my laps getting any quicker!
To get around this i am now doing a mid race save when i notice the Ai speed increase happening significantly and then reloading the race on a lower difficulty level. This actually works out about right for race pace. But it's not right!!
What setting in the game files controls the Ai speed increase during the 100% race ? is it gradual grip increase or speed increase or what? Can this be modded to make the final Ai lap time speed the same as mine? Do the Ai actually have to manage their speed for fuel saving?
I have read replies regarding this before about my tyre wear and strategy but i have tried different approaches all with the same result !!

Any help much appreciated!!

Try to shortshift to limit wheelspin :)
I have tried that with 2013 when you could adjust your gear ratios to suit the majority of the corners then use that method for the rest.
I really enjoy F1 2014 and i have started my career with Lotus to work my way up and not just bang straight in with a top team. So i understand that races will be harder, don't get me wrong i am familiar with what is going on. It could just be the fact you can't set your gear ratios now that is the problem combined with what i feel is a more arcade style game play than previous versions.
I have tried Chessmaster02 method and that works quite well. I will keep trying that for now. ;-)

I agree, what I did is simple. As I own 2013 and 2014, I copied 2014 cars into 2013, with their audio and physics. The 2013 engine is more sim-like (although not perfect) I cannot play online sure, but not only do the graphics look better, but I can at least lock my brakes when I brake too hard. And you really feel the loss of downforce from this year's vehicle. if you own 2013, perhaps you should try that.

I agree, what I did is simple. As I own 2013 and 2014, I copied 2014 cars into 2013, with their audio and physics. The 2013 engine is more sim-like (although not perfect) I cannot play online sure, but not only do the graphics look better, but I can at least lock my brakes when I brake too hard. And you really feel the loss of downforce from this year's vehicle. if you own 2013, perhaps you should try that.
I think i shall give that a go. Sounds like a winner to me!!

I think this has been reported in a few different ways previously. I am hoping that someone can come up with a solution. ? It's ruining the game
By the last third of a season race (100% distance) the Ai are lapping quicker than the start by about three to four seconds. I accept this as track rubbering in and less fuel. However, my own respective lap times are only about 1 or 2 seconds quicker on average. This meaning when i have a healthy lead or track position i find myself having to defend aggressively, then watching cars i have lapped trying to unlap themselves. The final 10 laps a car that i was pace matching mid race can finish 20 seconds ahead of me without my laps getting any quicker!
To get around this i am now doing a mid race save when i notice the Ai speed increase happening significantly and then reloading the race on a lower difficulty level. This actually works out about right for race pace. But it's not right!!
What setting in the game files controls the Ai speed increase during the 100% race ? is it gradual grip increase or speed increase or what? Can this be modded to make the final Ai lap time speed the same as mine? Do the Ai actually have to manage their speed for fuel saving?
I have read replies regarding this before about my tyre wear and strategy but i have tried different approaches all with the same result !!

Any help much appreciated!!

I don't know if this is the same thing you have been experiencing but I completed a career race in Canada recently. I was in the final 30% of the race and had a 12 second lead over the car behind. My lap times were consistent, getting faster gradually and at race pace. Then in 1 lap the car behind closed the gap by 7seconds. I did not lose 7 seconds in my lap. The AI car then outpaced me strongly until I responded. Strangely, it could not pass me on the DRS straights, on which I was able to keep ahead. It was all over me on sector 1 and 2 though, where my worn tyres were an issue - not so apparently for the AI. I forgot to check the lap times at the end though, which might have revealed something. But 7 seconds in one lap!!! That has to be a glitch. I haven't noticed a leap like that since, but the AI do definitely come on strong in the final 30% or so, but seem to me to fall back quite often in the final two laps.

I don't know if this is the same thing you have been experiencing but I completed a career race in Canada recently. I was in the final 30% of the race and had a 12 second lead over the car behind. My lap times were consistent, getting faster gradually and at race pace. Then in 1 lap the car behind closed the gap by 7seconds. I did not lose 7 seconds in my lap. The AI car then outpaced me strongly until I responded. Strangely, it could not pass me on the DRS straights, on which I was able to keep ahead. It was all over me on sector 1 and 2 though, where my worn tyres were an issue - not so apparently for the AI. I forgot to check the lap times at the end though, which might have revealed something. But 7 seconds in one lap!!! That has to be a glitch. I haven't noticed a leap like that since, but the AI do definitely come on strong in the final 30% or so, but seem to me to fall back quite often in the final two laps.
That is more or less exactly what i find. I have tried chessmaster02 theory and i go out hard for 4 or 5 laps. Get from maybe 10th or 12th to about 4th or 5th place and go lean and standard fuel and block until i can finish the race on faster compound tires and rich mix, this kind of works... but my pace is still not as quick as i think it should be. Only maybe 2 seconds quicker, and i don't like blocking more than once or twice to stop an overtake. I am thinking maybe the Ai tires wear rate is not as great. Following a car when we were both on worn tires and tire strategy the Ai was able to corner still as if it were reasonably fresh tires but i was struggling with massive understeer which wasn't present before. I checked their times they do not seem to suffer from worn tires or a change in fuel mixture. I also think we don't benefit at the end of the race from a lighter car from less fuel. Previously i have received stupid comments from people so i will state again..."this is my impression of the game, if you disagree that's fine. I am open to changing my driving style... But i don't need aggressive comments about what i am stating" Thanks.. ;-)

I was racing the Hamilton AI in career at Spielberg last night and was watching out for this phenomenon. First of all, I had tested the setup (Mercedez) for tyre wear in P and it looked really good - but I also practised making sure I didn't get tyre squeal on turn 2 (I stay in 6th to approach that, which helps I think).

I took an early 1.4s lead (turn 1 at start) and the Hamilton AI was pretty consistent from then on, cutting the gap to within DRS range by the time I was 2 laps from the first tyre change. The Hamilton AI then had to defend against Vettel during my pit lap, so when I pitted my gap had opened to 4s. I had a good lap then on new tyres and maintained the lead when the Hamilton AI pitted. From then on and until the end of the race, I did not see any extraordinary gains by the Hamilton AI. That said, the tyres performed really well and Spielberg was very kind to traction (at least in the Merc).

I also checked the sector times; it was just like Q. Whilst I was faster in sectors 1 and 2, the Hamilton AI was slightly faster in sector 3. This was not like my experience in Canada where one AI suddenly cut the gap by a massive amount. If I spot that at other circuits I will advise; maybe it's a circuit related glitch if it is a glitch.

I was racing the Hamilton AI in career at Spielberg last night and was watching out for this phenomenon. First of all, I had tested the setup (Mercedez) for tyre wear in P and it looked really good - but I also practised making sure I didn't get tyre squeal on turn 2 (I stay in 6th to approach that, which helps I think).

I took an early 1.4s lead (turn 1 at start) and the Hamilton AI was pretty consistent from then on, cutting the gap to within DRS range by the time I was 2 laps from the first tyre change. The Hamilton AI then had to defend against Vettel during my pit lap, so when I pitted my gap had opened to 4s. I had a good lap then on new tyres and maintained the lead when the Hamilton AI pitted. From then on and until the end of the race, I did not see any extraordinary gains by the Hamilton AI. That said, the tyres performed really well and Spielberg was very kind to traction (at least in the Merc).

I also checked the sector times; it was just like Q. Whilst I was faster in sectors 1 and 2, the Hamilton AI was slightly faster in sector 3. This was not like my experience in Canada where one AI suddenly cut the gap by a massive amount. If I spot that at other circuits I will advise; maybe it's a circuit related glitch if it is a glitch.
Ok, Thanks. I have also posted on another thread about tire wear. I was racing Yas Marina and Magnussen was in front of me after our first stop at around lap 20 i was matching his pace but after a while he then started pulling away. This was mainly due to my lap times. Due to my tire wear i started to understeer and maintained pace my going into rich mode. However these are the lap times of that stint. lap 21 to 33 his times 1m53 to 1m52 very constant no tire wear and got quicker. My pace 1m52 down to 1m55 having to alter my line and driving style to cope with this understeer. So for the last laps he was 2 to 3 seconds a lap quicker due to my tire wear and gained 9 seconds. Now i have been told that Ai do not suffer tire wear? is that true? Even if i was to adjust my setup to minimize tire wear the fact that the Ai don't have tire wear is a problem. So with your point if tracks are tire friendly then this speed difference won't matter much, but high wear circuits the Ai will appear a lot quicker near the end of a stint.

AI do suffer tyre wear, they just manage it better than most players. Adjusting setup and being easy on the throttle/brake is the best way to minimise it... The AI lap times get faster as the fuel runs out but so should the players. Don't know about this being a big issue as I for one don't experience this at all, if anything I'm faster than the AI towards the end of a stint.

mrMorj and many others have reported this same issue. As it is the PLAYER driving style that is too aggressive on tyres and most of you that have a smoother driving style don't see the issue I can understand why you mock those players with less smooth driving styles, however, can anyone give advice about which game files can be changed to increase the AI tyre wear so that people like mrMorj can enjoy the game. ANYONE ANY IDEAS?

mrMorj and many others have reported this same issue. As it is the PLAYER driving style that is too aggressive on tyres and most of you that have a smoother driving style don't see the issue I can understand why you mock those players with less smooth driving styles, however, can anyone give advice about which game files can be changed to increase the AI tyre wear so that people like mrMorj can enjoy the game. ANYONE ANY IDEAS?
Does Ai have tyre wear though? The way that the Ai go around corners would suggest that their driving style is more aggressive than mine..lol.. however, i don't mind the fact that my lap times are affected by tyre wear as this is normal. The point is exactly what you and i suggest, the Ai should have tyre wear and slightly increasing lap times for a little more realism!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 275 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 402 40.1%