AI is a Joke

26 February 2020

AI won't overtake you unless you pull over and stop in the grass. So bizarre. Multi class turns full useless, same class as well since fastest cars are not able to pass you.

Some cars stuck spinning wheels in the starting grid and keep steady after green light.

After few corners, 99% CPU occupancy bogs the simulator down to 0,1 FPS. (Maybe a 8700K@5.2 Ghz, 2080 ti and 64 Gb RAM is not enough, who knows, maybe I need a upgrade, alright?)

We're in 2020 and the AI is worse than 1991 games.

Good job Kunos! Lol

Getting 99% cpu on an official car/track suggests something more specific than "official car on Monza" is going wrong. 20 car pileup maybe? During the race start I have 70% and it drops to 60% in racing and I have an i5-8400 which should be slower than yours since it's only like, 4.2GHz on turbo. But I just grabbed a random Kunos car (Alfa GTA) and I'm not actually running a very stock game at this point.

General advice for getting best performance out of AC's AI is dial your own aggression way back for the first lap, hold your position and then go for it on lap 2. Of course you can go maximum attack from the start but as you can see the AI does not handle it well. So why make the game worse for yourself?

Last edited:
Getting 99% cpu on an official car/track suggests something more specific than "official car on Monza" is going wrong. 20 car pileup maybe? During the race start I have 70% and it drops to 60% in racing and I have an i5-8400 which should be slower than yours since it's only like, 4.2GHz on turbo. But I just grabbed a random Kunos car (Alfa GTA) and I'm not actually running a very stock game at this point.

General advice for getting best performance out of AC's AI is dial your own aggression way back for the first lap, hold your position and then go for it on lap 2. Of course you can go maximum attack from the start but as you can see the AI does not handle it well. So why make the game worse for yourself?

From my research the 99%occupancy bug (yes, it's a bug, if I can play Xplane-11 I can play anything regarding CPU) is from the force-feedback refresh rate. I've tried now with half-refresh FFB and it didn't crash.

But AC is not up to have a decent race against PC, the AI coding is a complete bull-crap. The standing start is a total mess, some cars standing still after green, others crashing into the next one (medium aggression setting), I'm going back to the age-stone rF2, at least it's race able against AI.

To back up on first lap sounds too much artificial workaround for me but thanks for the tip anyway.

Last edited:
No worries, if RF2 gives you what you want you're better off there.

99% occupancy just means one of AC's threads is running slower than it needs to in order to reach 333Hz physics simulation, unfortunately it's not very specific which one. Player physics (including colliding with AIs), directX, and controls have to share a cpu cause they depend on each other immediately so it's the sum of a few processes.

Sadly Kunos has stopped developing AC since 2018. Not sure if you are using mod cars and tracks though, because the experience varies greatly.

For sure. You have to take the time to set it up as a modder and I'm not sure many really do... and even then the AI works better with some cars than others, and better with some cars on some tracks than on others. (Not all AI lines are equally suited to each car.)

I do take the time to set my cars' AI up as best I can, but it's almost never ideal.

From my research the 99%occupancy bug (yes, it's a bug, if I can play Xplane-11 I can play anything regarding CPU) is from the force-feedback refresh rate. I've tried now with half-refresh FFB and it didn't crash.

But AC is not up to have a decent race against PC, the AI coding is a complete bull-crap. The standing start is a total mess, some cars standing still after green, others crashing into the next one (medium aggression setting), I'm going back to the age-stone rF2, at least it's race able against AI.

To back up on first lap sounds too much artificial workaround for me but thanks for the tip anyway.

If the cars don't move at the start of the race and you are using Content Manager and CSP, go to the CSP settings and under New AI Behavior, deactivate AI Flood. Solved my issue with the standing AI.

As for the AI itself, I have had great battles with the AI so far. I typically run full aggression, but only 95% AI strength on average (depends on the car type). They come at me pretty hard but seem to respect my space so I don't get punted. If I get out of line, they take full advantage and go for the pass. I can't speak for how it compares to RF2 because I don't own it, but I have heard it has fabulous AI. If it wasn't for the extra time investment it would take to get caught up on it with mods and such, I would probably buy it and try it out. I'm still trying to catch up on all the AC stuff since I just got the game a couple months ago.

• Deleted member 197115

This.

giphy.gif

If the cars don't move at the start of the race and you are using Content Manager and CSP, go to the CSP settings and under New AI Behavior, deactivate AI Flood. Solved my issue with the standing AI.

As for the AI itself, I have had great battles with the AI so far. I typically run full aggression, but only 95% AI strength on average (depends on the car type). They come at me pretty hard but seem to respect my space so I don't get punted. If I get out of line, they take full advantage and go for the pass. I can't speak for how it compares to RF2 because I don't own it, but I have heard it has fabulous AI. If it wasn't for the extra time investment it would take to get caught up on it with mods and such, I would probably buy it and try it out. I'm still trying to catch up on all the AC stuff since I just got the game a couple months ago.
Thanks for the heads up. Yes, I was launching through Content Manager. Going to check.

But AC is not up to have a decent race against PC, the AI coding is a complete bull-crap. The standing start is a total mess, some cars standing still after green, others crashing into the next one

I have well over 4,000 hours in AC, 90% of the time racing AI, I can assure you that what you are experiencing is not the way it is supposed to work. I hope you will find a solution so you will be able to enjoy the AI in AC. It will never be perfect, none are, but particularly with the extra AI settings in CM it can be very entertaining

I agree, if some one prefers RF2 AI, then just race RF2 AI, but in his case, IMHO, I believe something is wrong in the way his AI is acting up.

Yes, last times rF2 AI is getting worse and worse and nobody from staff seems to be uncomfortable with that. But is still better than AC, first racing lap is a complete mess, I can overtake a Audi R18 using a Fiat 500 due the bad coding. And, if you change the racing line is almost impossible to be overtaken by the AI. It's a pity because there's nothing comparable to AC content regarding.

I'm running an i7-9700 with 2080 and 32gb of ram in VR and have never experienced anything like your describing, and while the AI isn't perfect I get clean starts and clean races with overtaking done by both myself and the AI on me. Something isn't right at your end.

The AI isn't perfect, but its generally pretty good once you made it past turn one. From my limited knowledge the AC AI uses very little base information to achieve what it does, which in turn makes it easy to make mod tracks work - but still if you set up your mod track wrong, mostly regarding track limits, the AI will suck and behave stupid and unpredictable.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 89 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 334 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 464 39.1%