AI Fuel Stops (Or Lack Of)

Littlefysh

Professional Nutcase
I have a championship of Endurance races that I'm running with the HQ03 field that's 75 cars big. I have several tracks that will run 6, 12 or 24 hour races with nobody running out of fuel, which is fantastic.

I'd love to add Brno (HQ version or original) to this calendar, especially as a 24 hour race, however when testing with a 3 hour race anywhere up to 10 GT class cars run out of fuel at the end of the first stint, they never bother to come into the pits.

I've tried altering the "FuelUse=" line value from the original (around 63000) to the HQ value (around 80000) all the way up to the hundreds of thousands but none of it makes any difference. Between 5 and 10 GT class cars still run out of fuel before completing 35 laps, before the end of the first stint.

If I could have any help with this it would be greatly appreciated as I adore Brno and would love to run it in my Endurance championship.

As a note, I have this issue with Dubai (original and HQ) as well as several other circuits, so anything regarding fuel use to help would be greatly appreciated as it would fix several circuits that I really enjoy.

Any and all help appreciated.

Are you sure all these cars are short of fuel ? I mean it could be mechanical failure, the reason of abandon is detailed at the end of race in bottom lines.
I will try to reproduce your issue so tell me exactly your race setting : Full HQ03 grid at Brno 50 laps ???
I will give you a detailed answer tomorrow after test because there are many settings for fuel usage in car ENG/HDC, track AIW, and PLR.
If it is always the same car(s) affected then it is a bad setting in eng file with this/these specific car(s).
If all cars are affected then it is a bad value either in AIW or PLR

Full HQ03 Grid (#9 and #10 JMB Ferraris are the 550s, not the 575s run at Estoril) with me running the #75 Porsche and retiring myself immediately after crossing the timing line after a rolling start (formation lap skipped). 3 hour race at HQ03 Brno which has garage positions altered and max vehicles value changed to 75. FuelUse line tested at the 3 approximate values stated above only, no other values tested. AI at 98 but it has been tweaked in the PLR file a bit so I can't be exact, aggression at 0.85 in PLR. This field of cars has no issues with fuel at Fuji, Paul Ricard, Silverstone, Spa, Sebring, Interlagos or Road America (all but Spa are mod tracks) so I don't believe its an ENG file issue. It's different cars each time, varying makes/models but the GT class is first to run out of fuel because I think their stints are shorter.

Mechanical failures are disabled and I am aware of the statement at the end of the line stating reason for retirement and there are always 5-10 cars listed as "Fuel". There is the odd occasion where there are retirements due to accidents, but they are rare and suitably listed as "Accident". I'm testing only the first 40 laps as the first stint for the GT class cars is 28-35 laps.

Ok so I understand now : your issue comes from the fact you have altered track max vehicules value. Indeed Brno can only manage 36 cars slots max : any extra car will have issues when going to pit. You can imagine that every HQ track would be set on 100 cars grid if it could work without issue :D

Because I have made 3 races of 50laps each with full grid (36) :
- first race : 5 cars gave up due to brake or engine failure
- second race : 2 cars did not finish
- third race : 3 cars did not finish
Each time AI were able to refuel and finish race with default max vehicules value.

Last edited:
So am I to understand that these cars are retiring because there is not a pitbox free? I have never found this an issue on circuits in GTR2 before, or indeed in any similar games. Is there a way to easily add pitboxes to prevent this issue?

I know RFactor can be used with the AIW creator but I cannot use that as I'm using everything via Steam and I'm running Windows 10. I am also aware of Guitarmaen's AIW CAM editor but I have no idea how to use it or if it is even capable of altering/adding garage and pit locations.

Unfortunately that is not so easy, otherwise all custom tracks would be set to 100 cars grid. 10th Ann. Patch v9.7 should be released for Valentine's day so it is too short for me, however I keep your request in mind for further updates :)

That's a shame, there's nothing like a 24 hour race with a 75 car grid. I guess I'll settle on the Endurance calendar I have at the moment then.

Thankyou very much for your help and for taking the time to identify this limitation for me.
:thumbsup:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 311 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 213 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years