AI Feedback Thread

It's always useful to hear if certain track / car / difficulty settings result in issues. So if you have issues at a certain combination then please report here.

Please report using the following template:

Car Used:
Track & Layout Used:
AI Difficulty:
AI Aggression:
Comments:

If there is a correlation in reports, then we can look at tweaking things :)

Game Stock Car Extreme v 1.25

Car Used: V8's
Track & Layout Used: Brasilia Full Course
AI Difficulty: 107%
AI Aggression: 70%
Comments: Whenever the AI exits the final corner onto the start/finish straight, they slam on the brakes when rejoining with the "oval" part of the track

Last edited:
F_Classics
Spielberg (modern)
25% aggression, 95% AI

Only a minor problem, and I cannot reproduce it every time, but since you ask, the cars seem to be parked just a bit far back in the garages, so from time to time, they clip the wall and lose a nose cone as they exit their garage. One of the main ones seems to be garage 17 (that's the number on the wall, not necessarily the AIW number).

Karts,
InterlagosKart 3

Any setting

As the karts drive off the track into the long pit entry lane, they collide with the inside tyre wall where the pit lane turns to the right. Most of the time they free themselves and continue, but occasionally it causes a jam in the pit lane.

Alex forgive me if I do not respect the form but my problem is general Ai behaviour. Their are really unbalanced between practice - qualifying - race in performance.
For example, Retro at Interlagos Historic, at 95% difficulty slider, they do 2:31.x in practice - 2:34.x in qualy - 2:36.x in race. It is not good.
They should be more consistent and realistic. Practice should be a little slower than Qualy, while Qualy should be equal or slightly faster than Race. In race the slowdown in Ai performance should be only due to fuel load, otherwise if they drop it is inevitable that you overtake everyone in front of you, and that is no fun.
So, consistency is they key. Thank you Alex and again, sorry

I agree the consistency is essential for offline racing, and it is something I have spent obsessive hours adjusting lol.

I'm pretty sure I read a while back that Reiza are aware and working on this.

In the meantime this is what helps me:

Run very low fuel in Practice. With 6 laps of fuel, if I can get in top 5 with a *really* good lap then I know my AI% setting is right for the race. (if practice is too easy, exit and raise the AI % or the race will be a walk in the park - keep repeating until you get this right - it needs to be set so that it is a supreme effort to get in top 3 in practice)

For qualifying, add the line
RaceQualRatio=(1.02) to the AIW file (after worst, mid & best lines).

This will speed up the AI in Qual, so it is a better challenge to get a top grid slot.

Then (if you already got the difficulty setting right in practice), Qualifying should be tough, but still possible to qualify high, and race should be about right for you from the spot that you qualified.

Hope that is some help

just to add my 2 bits in here. I used to do a lot of ai speed editing in race 07. and because ei found FP to be way out of the other sessions. I only used to run qualy, and kept restarting until I was happy I was used to the track (if I needed practice) I would adjust the aiw for qualy and race was normally fine. I did this with just the mid adjust line. I think race to qualy is okay, its FP to everything else. Just don't use FP :)

Alex forgive me if I do not respect the form but my problem is general Ai behaviour. Their are really unbalanced between practice - qualifying - race in performance.
For example, Retro at Interlagos Historic, at 95% difficulty slider, they do 2:31.x in practice - 2:34.x in qualy - 2:36.x in race. It is not good.
They should be more consistent and realistic. Practice should be a little slower than Qualy, while Qualy should be equal or slightly faster than Race. In race the slowdown in Ai performance should be only due to fuel load, otherwise if they drop it is inevitable that you overtake everyone in front of you, and that is no fun.
So, consistency is they key. Thank you Alex and again, sorry

Practice performance is something we unfortunately have had a little difficulty adjusting, though we´re still looking into it. While it can be a nuisance, it´s somewhat mitigated by the fact practice results are not relevant to the actual competition.

AI qualifying performance however has been addressed since v1.15 (they were as fast as in practice before), but they are supposed to be 1-2% faster than in race. A difference of 2s between quali and race in a +150s laptime from the AI is reasonable and the player should be able to make up that difference himself with a low fuel qualifying setup.

The problem is that in some cars like the formulas have enough scope for faster laptimes with low fuel qualifying setup, whereas others like the Mini won´t provide as much scope to the player and thus the AI will be relatively harder to beat in qualifying. Ideally you´d want specific session multipliers for given series, but this is unlikely to happen in this version of GSC.

I have another general AI problem. On the straights, I can get closer to cars in front of me because of slipstream, but the AI doesn't seem to have this advantage. They indeed sometimes break a little instead of attempting an overtake. Another problem I found was, that the AI sometimes drive their line and doesn't recognise, that the player is beside him. This happens especially on corner exits, when the player is on the outside of the turn and the AI on the inside. The AI then drives it's line and pushes the player off the track. An example:

Car Used: Stock Cars 2013
Track & Layout Used: Londrina
AI Difficulty: 97
AI Aggression: 60
Comments: AI pushes driver wide on corner exit.

The end of the day they are basic ai on a home pc... I understand if they get stuck on wall or brake at a corner which isnt needed, but pushing you off i think thats the awarenesss the ai will have.. (average) If you make them to aware they end up being weak like ACs AI, they wont come near you. So i would rather have an over aggressive ai than a tame one. :)

However... there is something i like to see, is what the RF2 Ai do. Thats they take a blocking line down to slow corners if your near. Not sure if that can be done in old engine. But that does make overtaking/outbraking more challenging.

This is an example although the ai did it very late and maybe not perfect its still effective.

View My Video

I have another general AI problem. On the straights, I can get closer to cars in front of me because of slipstream, but the AI doesn't seem to have this advantage. They indeed sometimes break a little instead of attempting an overtake. Another problem I found was, that the AI sometimes drive their line and doesn't recognise, that the player is beside him. This happens especially on corner exits, when the player is on the outside of the turn and the AI on the inside. The AI then drives it's line and pushes the player off the track. An example:

Car Used: Stock Cars 2013
Track & Layout Used: Londrina
AI Difficulty: 97
AI Aggression: 60
Comments: AI pushes driver wide on corner exit.

Reduce AI aggression, it's at 25% by default for a reason...

Karts,
InterlagosKart 3

Any setting

As the karts drive off the track into the long pit entry lane, they collide with the inside tyre wall where the pit lane turns to the right. Most of the time they free themselves and continue, but occasionally it causes a jam in the pit lane.

I'm tweaking this, but I haven't seen them jam the pitlane myself. The AI has a mind of it's own with such fine margins like that pit entry... (reproducable settings key again here...)

I'm tweaking this, but I haven't seen them jam the pitlane myself. The AI has a mind of it's own with such fine margins like that pit entry... (reproducable settings key again here...)

Completely agree Alex, that's why I didn't report it earlier - they knock the tyres most times but I cannot reproduce the traffic jam. It happened twice but must have just been an unlucky 'bounce' off the tyres at the same time that other karts were close behind. Settings don't seem to make any difference as they have already slowed to pit limit. But as I said, extremely minor,

Game Stock Car Extreme v 1.25.2

Car Used: Karts 125cc and Shifter
Track & Layout Used: Ortona 1 and 2 (Probably 3 and 4 since the sector with problems is part of all layouts.)
AI Difficulty: 100% to 120%
AI Aggression: 25% (Default)
Comments: After the 2nd turn (2nd sector - based on the layout 1 and 2), the AIs leave the track several times, especially when they are close to each other.

Cheers

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing