AI: dirty tricks and the effect on public server driving

Last night for the first time in ages I went for a spin against the AI, and damn was I unhappy with their driving "skills".

It seems that any time I got near overtaking them there was some very dodgy manoeuvre by them intent on taking me out, the list includes brake checking, heavy doses of swerving across my line (both on straights and also as we were turning in after outbraking them).
At other times when they were behind they would run deep into the back of a corner and usually the back of me, using as a "berm" and me nerfing me off into the weeds.
Another one I found real annoying and downright dirty was the US Police chase manouvre. Any time they were close behind me and especially through a bend, they would try to get their front end under me slightly and spin me by nerfing the back end of my car sideways :nono:

I had the AI set at 103% or 104% and was starting at the back so I could work my way up the field, but I think in every race I started I was punted off into the dirt by some dirty trick or other ... :pissed-off:

A thought that struck me about all this is whether the public servers are full of such dirty tricks because people think because the AI do it then its OK for them to do ti too?

Discuss :laugh2:

I agree with the above 100% settings turning the AI into nutters! Also the novice, semi pro, pro settings affect their agression and ability so 105% in Novice is way different to 105% in Pro and that I think is why people have different experience of AI.

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that AI cars can be leaned on and rubbed against a lot without pushing them off. So you get someone who might be a good player in Single Play coming online and thinking a little leaning and rubbing is ok, but there used to racing AI, try leaning on Real Players as much as you can on AI in single play and I guarantee you'll be pushing people off all over the place...

After about 2.5 years of strictly no AI I have recently returned to doing a couple of shorter races against 'em on tracks / combos I will use in an online tournie race lateron. It gives you quite a good feel which breakpoint markers to trust in a melee, how to go through turns side by side etc. I agree the AI is dirtier than it was way back, but also so much more clever: The approach to t1 in l1 is still awful compared to online racing, but the queue you could depend on to virtually hand you 12 or so positions on a golden platter has all but disappeared. Really enjoying it atm (95% Pro cause I'm a slow guy :) )

Hehe intersting obs about publics

I race them pretty much exclusively, am not really into the rules and setup of sim servers to be honest, kinda takes the fun out of it for me, its supposed to be a game, not the army!!

But as people say you tend to lose omore than win on publics, every no and then you ahve a belter of a race, but most of the time its hopeless

I bring it on myself most of the itme, but retribution is grande fun!!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 364 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%