AI difficulty versus online difficulty

Hey guys,

After reading lots of interesting threads on the forum (thnx for that by the way)
I noticed that some peolpe ask if you can increase the ai difficulty above 105%.
I race @ 95%, (maybe 96% is possible for me but I haven't tried it yet)
and most of the time I'm not even on pole at these races.

Online racing isn't yet an option for now (crappy internet)
but I love to race online later
What is the difficulty in online races compared with the ai difficulty?
(IF it's even comparable at all...)

Will I be desperately slow or is midfield possible?
(It may be a vague question but I got really curious)

For example; I drive 2:03 at monza (dry weather in the honda)
On the forum I often read times that are below 2:00
Are you guys all this darn fast?

grtz and lots of respect to you all simracers!!

Huge difference between AI and real human opponents I find.

AI is more predictable, whereas racing against real people, is well..more realistic :D Different kind of racing, you have to respect each other, give each other room, you can force the other into mistake, and above all you can trust the racers in this club to give you a clean race. You wont be shunted off the road (or at least not on purpose anyway).

For sure there some people on here that are mighty quick. But you'll soon find some people that are of the same pace to fight with on track. Be it in 1st, 10th or 20th. Its about fun at the end of the day.

Join up - http://forum.racedepartment.com/misc.php?do=form&fid=6

You wont regret it :)

I have to agree with Nick, racing against humans is far more real :p There are some guys that are soooooo fast, they are believed to be from outer space; these are the "Aliens".
There are many normal racers too, and there are also a few like me that are generally slower. But hey, I enjoy the racing :D

Jaak i would also like to add that by racing online you can also get help to improve yourself, generally the fast guy's are willing to help with racing lines and setup advices. in my opinion there is no doudt that you should join us online :clap:

welcome at RD :)
only if you sign up for events that use mods or custom tracks you need to download them
events with stock tracks and cars dont need much download never checked realy how much transfer it generate but it should not be much for a event

and jump into online racing as soon as possible cuz the Ai maybe teach you wrong stuff :)

thnx for the info guys

so if I'm able to convince my girlfriend not to use the internet
when I'm racing it's perfectly possible for me to participate?!
awesome!!:mean:

but first I guess I need a race-application, isn't it?
I thought I read something about that on the forum...

Well AI compared to online racing....simple answer is none!

I suppose AI depends on the track, Simbin AI tend to be more "normal" than some add-on tracks AI. AI are very unrelisitc compared to online racing. Having a battle between someone online or a computer is very different.

In online you need to be careful and be wary of the other drivers, one mistake at turn one and you could ruin 5 other peoples races, and unlike in offline there are no restarts. In every race you will have faster guys and slower guys, normally you always find one person in your race and say "He is my target" and maybe when you get faster and improve your skills you will set higher targets. I remember back when I started online, just finishing was an achievment, then I started aiming for Top 10's top 5's and now im going for podiums :D

We cant compare AIs and humans, BUT we cant like give some sort of info about laptimes in the default tracks. The outstanding drivers (aliens) go like 110-115% with the AI. The very good drivers, should go around 105-110%, the good drivers should do something like 95-105%, and below that the driver MUST go online to learn a little with the good guys!!! :)

I remember when I started back in october/2008. I couldn't even win a race with the AIs in 85%. :smile-big: Afetr a few months learning with the good guys, I can go aroung 105%-110% if I have an extensive practice. I think this applies to eveyone here. Some started better than me, some started worse. Some are way faster than me, some are a bit slower.

But the most importante thing is to race online!!!! You're gonna have fun like you've never had before in computer racing!!! AWESOME!!!!

And just so you know, I have a 6Mbps down/600Kbps up conection and everything is great.

Welcome!!! :wink2:

A view from the bottom of the results:
You will have fun even if you don't go fast enough to win.
There will be scuffles, these are real people. we all make mistakes.
Every chase, every pass, will be a great thing.
Everytime someone passes you, you can cheer for their skill.

wow, you couldn't even win at 85%
and now you race @105% respect!
(do you use trailbraking and heel-toe-racing
and other of this magic stuff or no special trics?)
what are you guys; miracleworkers?!?

I got started offline at 94%
and now I race @95%, (96% might be possible)
but that change came mainly because I bought a G25
(god, I LOVE this wheel)
and also by reading various
setupguides and tips here @ the forum:thanks:

Online racing also seem to call for a total different approach than offline racing...

hmmm, this calls for action then!!:soldier:
after my holiday I will make an attempt to race and practice online

thnx for all the help guys

Hahaha, no special tricks, just learning how to brake better, accelerate better and turn better, these are the main skills you're gonna keep always learning. :)
When I started I was away from racing for many many years, so it was very hard for me and that's why I couldn't even race with 85% AI.
Heal and toe isn't exactly that, because I don't use the clutch pedal, only throttle and brake pedals. :)
Cmon, let's race!!! RD is the best place for that!!!
Cya on track!!!

aha
so no special tricks
thats kinda reassuring:good:

I'm really curious how much I can take of my pb's
by learning to race online

I just have filled in a membership
(I think it's still has to be approved because
I'm still here under my old nickname)
unfortunately after tomorrow I'm going on holiday for two weeks
so it's gonna be a loooong waiting time

and when I get back I still have to fill in some administrative 'things'
so I'll be able to get access on a server (or something like that I guess)
reading all these rules and applicationforms made me kinda dizzy :smirk:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing