AI behaviour before pitting

Hi,

I have noticed that, when the AI is in its last lap before pitting, it will not overtake any other car, even very slower cars from other classes. I am trying to race at Le Mans with URD PX1 and P2 and GTEs from Endurancers. And the LMP1 will do an entire lap behind a GTE car before pitting.

Is there any antidote for this?...

Thanks in advance.

There is more issue then pit entry, try Belgium Ai using the inside line drastically slow for any car in pits no matter what box they are in

ISI always said offline and bling were secondary considerations
I understand, but we are not under ISI anymore and RF2 has such a wonderfull AI most of the time that it would be a shame and a waste not to improve those aspects.

There is more issue then pit entry, try Belgium Ai using the inside line drastically slow for any car in pits no matter what box they are in

ISI always said offline and bling were secondary considerations

I assume they're all driving the same slow line irregardless of class? At least that doesn't totally disrupt the results of the race, whereas the current bug makes multiclass racing in RF2 almost completely pointless.

Considering that they have some of the best AI, it would be shooting themselves in the foot to ignore single player. Then again, companies have been known to do that in the past.

I assume they're all driving the same slow line irregardless of class? At least that doesn't totally disrupt the results of the race, whereas the current bug makes multiclass racing in RF2 almost completely pointless.

I would prefer S397 to first fix the AI's slip-stream problem which in my opinion is a much more detrimental issue since it influences their slip-streaming the human driver which gives the human a nice advantage over the AI drivers during the race!

Last edited:
I mean, I find it amazing how well the AI interact with each other most of the time in RF2. They fight for position and Are quite agile to lap the slower cars compared to other Sims. Multiclass is great except in the last lap of the stint.... this thing about the pit in lap and the slipstream seen to be the easy part of the whole thing.....

I just tested with Daytona and can confirm that this is still a bug. The AI would not pass whether on a straight or a curve during a pit in lap. Pretty game breaking bug.

I'm curious if this is a problem with all multi-class racing or just with the LMP/GTE cars?

Last edited:
Ace, I was wondering if I could get your fixed version of Le Mans?
Hi Slowdive......my Lemans 2017 AI update (non-public release) i'am very pleased with the outcome after improving the corridors, pitline, fastline and blocking line. I improved the AI attemps to makes passes plus their enduring fight for position! Also, included choices of adding Light, Medium or Heavy rubber to the track surface. I greatly minimized the mass crashing in T1 at the start of the race and certain critical sections throughout the track.

This is a work in progress i have dedicated myself to over several months but will consider to provide for personal use a future dl link to a few here through their personal RD Inbox.

Last edited:
This is a work in progress i have dedicated myself to over several months but will consider to provide for personal use a future dl link to a few here through their personal RD Inbox.

Sounds good. Perhaps the original author would allow you to incorporate your changes.

You probably already know this, but to answer my question from my previous post, I just tested it and the non-passing bug is present in any multi-class race and is not car depedent. Tested at Daytona.

My final conclusion too! It doesn't really matter when it's just one class in a race like LMP or GT since they have the same speed capabilities. Plus, on short and medium length tracks it doesn't influence the race near as much as a long track such as Lemans!

I know how to avoid this issue at Lemans which would involve providing a dedicated second fastline (2nd lane) just for the faster LMP2's to use (S397 Endurance mod). This will fix the LMP2 cars from being slowed down by the slower GT's during their Pit-in lap.

Last edited:
I know how to avoid this issue at Lemans which would involve providing a dedicated second fastline (2nd lane) just for the faster LMP 2 to use (S397 Endurance mod). This will fix this problem with the faster LMP2 cars being slowed down by the slower GT3's during their Pit-in lap lap.

That sounds like a real pain the rear to do, and then you'd still have the issue at other tracks. They really just need to fix it in the code. It's crazy that one of their flagship products is a multi-class pack, but it's almost impossible to race multi-class with this bug. At least you can't race LMP cars. I guess if you go GTE, then it doesn't matter, but still.

This issue is much less detrimental on faster cars losing time on short to medium length tracks but it will be great if S397 provides a fix. The AI's capability to draft human drivers as well as we can draft them would be another welcome improvement update.

Last edited:
Another consideration is Ai level in individual scenarios

With Historic F3 you can use 115%-120% if you can lap good times
Belgium 4:16-18 Italy 1:48-49

Problem is @120% the Ai issues are further compounded

That is not to say you can't have great ai races just need to be on toes and leave good gap in front till the fields spread out

Ai almost come to a stop too fast, seems canned to a degree, you rarely see lockups from them braking for slow ai they just stop on a dime

Need a radar gun on Ai pitting, again they stop on a dime no smoke

For people run 100% or less Ai would seem less of a issue

Last edited:
If you need to increase your AI Strength setting much over 100% for any particular track then the track's AIW isn't best optimized for the car mod your using or the car mod's AI settings need improvements or if it's a track conversion then it could be using the original AIW which will usually produce only a medium competitve AI at best. To make up for issues by increasing the AI strength to well over 100% can exaggerate any flaws and produce unrealistic AI.

Last edited:
Let me ask you guys. Is there any sim that actually does multi-class racing right? I guess PC2 has a pretty decent setup, but you can't do a championship in single player. AC would be my go to, but you also can't setup a multi-class championship as the points system only expects a single class. So I don't know. Race Room maybe? I find it pretty amazing that no one seems to be interested in single player multi-class. Either that or people don't notice these issues.

Hi, Slowdive. I can have a great time in RF2 multiclass races, as far as can work around or ignore the afore mentioned issues. In Le Mans, one thing I did was to carefully setup the cars of the LMP1 class I was racing (editing HDV files...) so they would call for the pits only when they get to the Porsche curves. Not a perfect solution (and pain to get it right), but still better than nothing.

For me, without having to mess too much with anything, Automobilista is the best sim for multiclass races. It is not perfect, but it is quite good. But I don’t race LeMans/WEC cars in Automobilista. I have my personal selection of cars, using only original content + EEC GT cars to simulate the Brazilian Endurance Championship. Being a Brazilian myself I love the series, a lot of motorsport “roots” feeling.

But I don’t care about setting championships in-game. When I want a single player championship, I control points outside of the game. Since the AI can’t even overtake slower cars properly, I am pretty sure they don’t make genius decisions based on online points status at the last laps of the decisive round… I guess MAYBE Codemasters F1 is the only sim-like game to do something like that today…

If you need to increase your AI Strength setting much over 100% for any particular track then the track's AIW isn't best optimized for the car mod your using or the car mod's AI settings need improvements or if it's a track conversion then it could be using the original AIW which will usually produce only a medium competitve AI at best.

In the case of the historic F3's, it is definitely the mod. In my tinkering I found the AI tire grip multiplier needed to be upped to about 1.08 from 1.00 to get the AI to corner at player speeds. And, as Durge well knows, the shift rpm needs to be lowered about 500 rpm.

Cars with aero & gear settings will often need them adjusted for the AI to perform well at certain tracks.

rF2 official tracks have reasonable AIWs when it comes to lap times. Interlagos was the outlier, being significantly slower than the others, but that got fixed in the first year with S397 at the helm. On the other hand, green tracks are a problem for the GT3 & GTE AI (many spinouts) as the default AIW seems to have been created with a narrow car like the Skippy, thus the AI on green tracks often drop a wheel off. S397 is apparently not spending time on multiple AIWs for different types of cars and has not revisited this feature to consolidate the capability in a sensible fashion for existing content.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back