AI behaviour before pitting

Hi,

I have noticed that, when the AI is in its last lap before pitting, it will not overtake any other car, even very slower cars from other classes. I am trying to race at Le Mans with URD PX1 and P2 and GTEs from Endurancers. And the LMP1 will do an entire lap behind a GTE car before pitting.

Is there any antidote for this?...

Thanks in advance.

Ok, thanks, Ace King.

I really want a good Le Mans track for offline use. I have planned to race on it this weekend so I cannot make huge changes for this one right now, but I will probably be doing the same race in my next year vacation :). So I intend to go trough the process of making from scratch in the course of the next months. I hope the result will be a nice resource maybe others will be interested. But I will probably need some help...

I am planning to the AIW CREATION TUTORIAL from 2013, available in the Studio 397 site. Would you recommend and other resource?

After reading the "AIW Creation Tutorial 2013" a great follow-up would be to view these 2 good videos which will help enforce what you learned from the tutorial. Though these videos are in reference for Rf1 most of this information is still viable and very similar for rF2. Good Luck :)

Watch this video first by Madcowie:

Great follow-up video by "Keeper1st" - Smooth Pit to track transitions:

Last edited:
Thanks again, I will check it all.

Now trying to save my weekend lol, I was thinking that this behavior makes sense in qualifying. The car lapping in should not give any trouble to the others.

Does anyone knows of there is something in the aiw that may make the car behave in race as if in qualy for this regard?

I have some spare time over the weekend so i plan to see if some quicker solutions i learned from the past will resolve this before suggesting this track needs a brand new AIW.

Refer to my newer Post #28 for further analysis!

Last edited:
I did some tests in Silverstone, using the same cars I am trying to use at Le Mans. It is a shorter track, so it is a little harder to replicate, and maybe this is why Ace King could not see it. It may also be something related to the cars, making easier to reproduce with certain cars. Anyway, after some time I realized that the same problem happens. So if it is a AIW issue, it also happens in official tracks.

Following are some videos I made. Sorry, they are awkward because I had not a screen app available so I filmed the screen with a cell.

Here an of a LMP1 car coming to pits (green icon on the top). He stays behind a slower GT for two long straights before passing in a very specific point of the track:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/0joejel0qbjwa65/bad.mp4

Here is another LMP1 car, not coming to pits (no icon…), in the exact same part of the track. He manages the slower cars much better:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vkwhyikhxcd2mkn/good.mp4

I will be comparing the AIWs to see if I find something, but I accept help/suggestions :)

In my further testing at Silverstone "International" i confirm the issue is still present so i went back to performing additional tests at Silverstone "GT" layout and now this issue appears in full form where yesterday it didn't show this problem but i believe the Oreca was making it's over-take on the Porsche when in turns and exiting turns and this is what i seen and relied on in my analysis!

My tests prove the faster cars (Oreca) on their pit-in won't over-take on the straights but are capable of performing over-takes through turns so it's my opinion it really isn't much of a problem on shorter and mid-size tracks since there is much less time lost not like the longer tracks as "Le Mans".

It would be great if Studio 397 addresses this AI over-taking issue in their things to fix though i believe the AI slip-stream problem is a much more detrimental issue for them to fix ASAP since it influences the AI's slip-streaming not only AI drivers but also the human driver which gives the human a advantage over the AI drivers in the race!

Last edited:
I do have some good news relating to the AI's severe crashing/accident problems going into T1 at start of race regarding the "Le Mans 2017 v0.83". Apparently the corridors were never calculated and if they were calculated then something went very wrong during the modder's track updates because It shows the cut-track corridors are way too wide and off the charts which allows the AI to drive too far off their main paths.

So, i performed a corridor search and saved the AIW then made a MAS add-on update v0.84. I then ran several test races and experienced a drastic improvement in the AI behavior going into T1 on green!

I'll need to go over the entire track and then manually fine-tune the cut-track corridors in places where it needs additional attention. Plus, i intend to improve the AI fast line and block line.

When i'am satisfied with my work i would be happy to privately share my update with you.

Last edited:
That would be great, thank you!

I am new to this, but I did some changes on this resource myself, because in my tests, most the cars would crash before 24hs, and not only on the initial corners. So I intuitively tried to adjust the right/left/far right/far left figures of the waypoints in the areas of the accidents in order to keep the AIs away of the killing curbs, that caused most of the problems. My last test had 4 retirements out of 41 cars after 24hs. The endurancers GTs still spin a lot throughout the track, though. Not sure this problem is in the track, maybe you can let me know.

I also had a hard time trying to fix pit exist. The GTs from endurancers pack would spin when leaving the pits about 100% of the times. And after that there would be frequent accidents because the AI reduces the speed a lot in the transition from pit line to racing line. The cars running would hit the ones returning from the pits or hit the walls trying to avoid them. I manage to improve that, but the braking on the transition is still a bit annoying.

So if you find it worthy, please let know how I could share it with you, in case that could save some time.

I already fixed the pit-in and pit-out transistions so now those AI issues you mentioned are no longer a problem! Thanks for your offering but it won't save me any time as i already did extensive work and finished the cut-track corridors and now i'am into the fastline process.

Last edited:
Hi Ace King.

I hope you don't mind me asking this, but I would be very glad if you could share with me your current version of Le Mans 2017 with the pit/race lines transitions improved, even if you believe there is still work to do on it. I intend to race starting Friday and I will not have another chance to do it in a while.

I tried to contact you by message but some forum rule does not allow it.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Luciano....in our converation you asked for info about AI settings for car mods and i replied with suggestions and curious if you received my message and applied any of my suggestions.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 233 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 161 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 157 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 118 7.5%
  • < 5 years