Agressive AI rams me off road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
is there anything I can do against beeing piled off road from aggressive reckless AI cars all the time?
Or should I never race with AI cars?
Piled by AI cars 4 times in 2mins.

See:
My favorite:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ym3wadd_T0w?t=114

Btw. this forum system killed all my youtube link with time reference....great.

You can also use the leaderboard to help learn tracks and get faster. Challenging someone else's time will show you their ghost, racing line, braking points and even gear changes. Go for someone just a little bit faster than you so that their ghost doesn't "escape" from you. Then when you beat that one, choose a slightly faster one, and so on.

Next step is getting a premium account and racing with us :D
Yes, would like to :) ..will have to practice to not annoy you on the track like :whistling::mad:...btw. I currently struggle to find time to practice at all..:(..real life sucks all my time :speechless:.

You can also use the leaderboard to help learn tracks and get faster. Challenging someone else's time will show you their ghost, racing line, braking points and even gear changes. Go for someone just a little bit faster than you so that their ghost doesn't "escape" from you. Then when you beat that one, choose a slightly faster one, and so on.
Sounds liike a good starting point for praticing..will check that if there is some time..

Maybe it's just by chance or some of the devs read this thread and added "AI - Further improved spatial awareness" in the last update..thus the AI is much more considerate and don't keep on the racing line no matter if it's free :) that's a big improvement and it feels much more realistic now..great! :thumbsup:
Just some examples:

Syrious3000, the problem is the game not your driving.
The problems with the AI continue, a lots of complains, the %AI agression is the solution.
The other cars tend to collide and not to avoid me, they ruin the racing continuously. The best examples are Assetto Corsa or Project Cars 2 that have %AI agression.

Last edited:
Yesterday another sad experience while playing WTCC 2014 in Mid Ohio
I suffered again the “attack of the bots” from the curve 3 to 8 every lap they tried to throw me out constantly until they succeeded.
The same in other circuits like Indianapolis, Paul Ricard, Portimao, Russia etc.
There is some way to lower “ AI aggression" ?. I play adaptative AI, 90% AI, 100% AI, 105% AI but there is no case.
In other aspects the sims is very good but this problem ruins the experience.

In other aspects the sims is very good but this problem ruins the experience.

If you could provide some videos of the problems you run into, it would help to diagnose a potential problem that may be there.

It's a bit tough to fix something, when only very few people are claiming a certain aspect of the sim doesnt work as well as it should.

As you can see by Lars' videos below your comment, clean and competitive racing is 100% possible, and happens very often for many people who race against the AI.

@Lars Hansen, you have quite a solid youtube name if I do say so ;)

Gotta say, didnt expect some random demonstration videos to be as entertaining as they were too.

Congratulation Lars you`re stronger than me and you can resist dozens of touches, especially in Mid Ohio.
In Portimao you had to block many times in curve 3 because (like i said) the breaking points of the bots in some circuits are too long or too short.
In Paul Ricard i play in the full circuit and in the long straights i suffered a lot of ramming.
Maybe for you is funny not for me.
And the constantly zigzagging of the bots is normal for you?
In the future i will upload videos, yesterday in DTM 1992 Nurburgring the same problem.

Can't see any AI aggressivity in part 1 and 3, just you braking a bit too early and not paying too much attention to the fact there's a car following you closely, as you should.
Part 2 is debatable, but it would've been easily avoided by you taking your foot off the throttle a bit, you were not going to win that one anyway at that point.

Still, if you didn't tell me this was AI, I would easily believe it's from an online race. Solid AI in my book.

That part 2 video definitely should not be happening.

That doesnt have anything to do with how aggressive the AI are though. That's a lack of awareness of the player car being near them. Havent seen something like that happen in a while though, so perhaps it is just that track?

Part 1 is tough to pass some judgement on due to the camera angle. With how fast those cars are, and how quick reaction times need to be.. braking a bit early can result in a crash.

Part 3 the AI is pretty clearly not at fault. Passing them and then moving directly in front of them is never a good idea, especially when it is immediately before a braking zone. It helps to treat them as you would a real person, since that is how they are trying to drive. And a real person would have needed a miracle to avoid a crash here too :p

Pretty much my feelings from all those clips. Yes, the AI is not perfect, never will be, but apart from the Indy video, there's nothing there that can really be seen as being 100 % fault of the AI. All I see is someone who's slowing down too early with cars too close around him, and/or running weird lines, which leads to the AI cars either not being able to brake in time or misinterpreting his non-standard line. Sort out your driving and be mindful of other cars and the AI won't be as much of a problem.

Okay, first of all, no I don't find it funny.
My post was simply meant to illustrate that racing against the AI is eminently possible. If it came out as mocking or condescending, I apologize.

Equally though, I find it infuriating when people just blithely state that the R3E AI can't be raced. Because it simply isn't true, as I have shown both above and with several other videos on my channel.
The AI will race you, and it'll race you hard, especially compared to other contemporary racing AIs, so you do need to keep your wits about you.
If you leave a gap open, the AI will try to take advantage.

I agree that the racing is better with slower cars, but as Nate pointed out, that's not really about the AI as such.
Running P1s or FRX as opposed to F4s or GT3s will by definition mean that the closing speeds are higher, and thus the reactions need to be much faster.
It can certainly be done, it's just less forgiving than the slower classes.

As for the videos I posted, I'm not sure I get the critique.
Sure, at Mid-Ohio there are a few love-taps (this is WTCC after all), but there are only two instances with significant contact; one where I misjudge the AI in Turn 1 and simply turn into him, the other where I miss the AI in my mirror and push him off the track as I come out of a corner.
At Portimao I'm not blocking anyone. I'm simply taking another line because I don't like the one the AI is using, and I'm trying to find my way around the outside (with varying degrees of luck).
And in both cases, at no point do I get rammed off the track in a braking zone and I'm not deliberately placing myself in an inferior position to avoid it.
I'm just racing to the best of my ability.

Which brings me to a rather important point that applies to both AI and multi-player racing.
If there is someone in front of you they never have a 'wrong' line, nor do they ever brake 'too soon'. Blaming your opponent for not being able to overtake him is a mugs game.
They use the line they want, and they brake when they want. This does not mean it's 'wrong'. If it's so wrong, then why are they in front of you?
Now, you may find both the lines and braking-points they use to be annoying, and they may even be slowing you down.
That's a perfectly fair statement.
But then it becomes your job to find a way through. It's not your opponents job to let you use whatever line you want.
Take the AI line through the first hairpin at Portimao for instance.
They tend to hug the inside very tightly, and it comes at the end of an acceleration-zone, so the odds of out-braking him and getting on the inside are slim.
Instead you can try and grab the outside; it's rarely enough to get completely past him, but if you can hold alongside him, you subsequently have the inside for the left-hander coming up the hill.
If that doesn't work, you'll simply have to stay behind him and find another point on the track to overtake.
If anything, racing against the AI is a doddle compared to racing against someone who really knows how to defend.

As for the latest combos mentioned, I honestly couldn't be bothered to render the complete races, so a lap of each will have to suffice.
Again, I'm not trying to mock anyone. I'm simply delivering proof that it most certainly can be done.
(And if anyone ever wondered why I rarely join when RD hosts races using high-downforce cars, you're about to find out.... )

@Lars Hansen, you have quite a solid youtube name if I do say so ;)

Gotta say, didnt expect some random demonstration videos to be as entertaining as they were too.

It seemed apt.
Whatever else can be said about me, I labor under no illusions about my sim-racing skills. :D
And thanks. :)

@Nano10 - I have to agree with the others here. From what I can see in your videos, you largely need to work on braking. You are braking too early which leaves little time for cars around you to react. And with your Part 3 video, you look to be on a pretty odd line and then you are braking early and turning into the race line which the AI is already on.

I was a critic of R3E's AI but ever since their update I think it is just about perfect. I had a nose to tail, constant swapping of positions GT3 race at Bathurst recently that was just a blast. If you know Bathurst, there is virtually zero room for error in the mountain and for the AI to run aggressively but fairly I think is quite the achievement. I also know if I was running too slow or braking too early, I would get hit because there is simply no room to maneuver. I remember slightly screwing up a corner and the car behind me took advantage and cleanly passed me even though it was real tight. I have also seen AI react to a stupid mistake of mine and do what it can to avoid me. I believe that is why you are in the minority here because many have had similar experiences with R3E.

Have I been hit and spun or taken out lately? Yup. When I review the replay - if I'm not already sure - it tends to be my fault. I was either off the race line due to a mistake and not giving the other car enough room or I moved into the race line too soon, say, when coming out of the pits.

Personally, I think R3E's AI is the closest I've experienced to racing against people. I've done a lot of iRacing and have experienced many of the same things I do in R3E as I do out there when I mess up. You can and will be hit. Of course in iRacing, many times it can be of no fault of your own... unlike R3E! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 302 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 202 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 152 7.7%