Agressive AI rams me off road

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
is there anything I can do against beeing piled off road from aggressive reckless AI cars all the time?
Or should I never race with AI cars?
Piled by AI cars 4 times in 2mins.

See:
My favorite:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ym3wadd_T0w?t=114

Btw. this forum system killed all my youtube link with time reference....great.

Other than setting the AI to a lower percentage strength, no, there is nothing you can do. It is my one quibble with R3E's AI. They will ram you from behind. At least 2 of the 4 times you got hit are blatant. I've raised my awareness of AI behind me - not a bad thing in general - and if they are definitely faster, I'll give 'em room. Still in all, it is something I think that needs to be addressed.

Hi,
is there anything I can do against beeing piled off road from aggressive reckless AI cars all the time?

To be frank, if you were racing a real player, they likely would have hit you 2 times for sure, and perhaps 3 times if they were getting annoyed.

Bump #1 & 3 were mostly your driving that caused it, with #4 being similar. Depending on the difficulty % you choose, the AI expects you to go through corners at certain speeds. And when you are way off the pace in certain corners, the AI doesnt recognize this until it is too late sometimes, at which point they bump you.

So being off the race line, and going slow can cause issues.

I would suggest turning on the rear view mirror to avoid #2, since the AI was faster and wanted to pass, and you sort of swerved in front of him. Although he shouldnt have necessarily hit you. You can also 'block' then in the sense that if they are going to your side to pass you, you can prevent them from going on your side mid corner and tapping your rear end which would spin you out. Or try lowering the difficulty % 1 or 2 %.

Certain classes may be more problematic than others too, so perhaps the GT1's at Nords is just a rough combo.

Yeah, exactly. While the AI is certainly not perfect, your own actions influence how it reacts quite a lot. If you're driving unpredictably like in this video, the AI's behavior will reflect that. Drive predictably and smooth and treat them like you would a human driver, and they will react a lot more like one as well.

Agree with above replies - the only track where I have a problem with AI hitting me is the Nordschliefe.
The reason is I haven't mastered the 73 (?) corners and, frankly, I'm too slow. The AI wants to race on my bumper and try to pass. If I take the wrong line and brake early (and I do on this track as it takes a LONG time to learn) they crash into me.

I reckon if I was in a real race the same thing would happen to me - you can't expect racing drivers to wait politely behind you. They will expect you to be on the racing line and to be quick.

The answer is to turn the AI right down until you master the track. :) This is what I have done - I usually race on 107-ish AI but here I'm on 95.

Last edited:
I mostly agree with the comments but I have been in races where I have been blatantly bumped from behind hard enough to spin me. I review the event and I find it is about half and half, my fault vs questionable AI. Don't get me wrong, more often than not I have no issues with the AI but I'm not going to totally dismiss that the AI might need some more tweaking. For reference, this is coming from someone who has been turned more than a few times in iRacing.

Perhaps R3E is too realistic!! :geek::p

Hi,

See:
My favorite:
Code:
https://youtu.be/ym3wadd_T0w?t=114

Btw. this forum system killed all my youtube link with time reference....great.
GT1 AI are ****ed up, Old physics and no updated AI.

OK, thanks for your answers/opinions...IMHO AI drives the perfect lane no matter if it is free..and they nearly never brake for obstacles...wasn't used to such strange behaviour anymore.. coming from assetto corsa where AI is amazingly thoughtful..I started with adaptive AI which seems not to adapt but kept at lowest...had 1min+ difference to second place (with DTM cars) ...at GT1 I suck as shown in the vid ;) . However, there I had AI set to 100%.
Will try lower values.
Btw. with DTM cars and 100% AI speeds were very close..so no crashes..but also not possible to do more than hotlapping during race, despite DRS.

Yeah, exactly. While the AI is certainly not perfect, your own actions influence how it reacts quite a lot. If you're driving unpredictably like in this video, the AI's behavior will reflect that. Drive predictably and smooth and treat them like you would a human driver, and they will react a lot more like one as well.
Don't see that my odd driving influences the AI..otherwise AI cars would change lanes or just brake..Btw. I'm not able to drive smooth with that GT1 stuff...was just starting with R3E and trying all cars ..and that race had the most AI crashes so I posted it ;)

Don't see that my odd driving influences the AI..otherwise AI cars would change lanes or just brake..Btw.
Odd driving affects real drivers and AI alike. When things are close at high speed you only have a split second to see something happening and react to it. The inability to react fast enough is what causes the majority of close-proximity collisions in motor racing, both real and simulated. I'm not saying the AI is perfect because it isn't, but you do have to allow for the "human factor" before putting all the blame on it for incidents.

I have noticed that although the AI does get more aggressive as you set the difficulty higher the level of their competence also increases. I might be imagining that but it makes the experience much better. Side by side and respect of line are much improved, not going to deny that on occasion I still seem to be used as a braking point but that is a rare thing. The racing is much better and seems to be more consistent as I have set the level up a few notches, so my suggestion is if your not happy with the AI perhaps bump the difficulty up a bit and maybe your driving will elevate some too.

In my experience, if you're being rear-ended by the AI while mid-corner, then you're going too slow because the AI practically PARKS mid-corner. This is why I have to turn the difficulty up to the 112-115 range to get a decent race.

While it is possible that AI being slow mid-corner is specific to the cars I use most (DTM '92), I also observed the same AI behavior in the GT3 pack in this video, where John has to repeatedly back off mid-corner (once he gets up to speed):

OK, that's interesting..will try also increasing AI when there is some time..
very nice to see how polite and fair AI is to each other driving cleanly in parallel.
Code:
https://youtu.be/vTUkvbdGg_o?t=444
Generally, I love clean and demanding racing..but only have one 47" display so mirrors missing.
Are there addons for R3E like this http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/helicorsa.5199/
to prevent crashes due to dead angle collisions?

Btw.It looks quiete similar when I have a well balanced AI level..Offtopic: However I don't yet get the meaning of the competition when AI never makes mistakes..I see only some aero tuning or late braking to achieve a pass/overtake (sorry for my noob english ;))

Are there addons for R3E like this http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/helicorsa.5199/ to prevent crashes due to dead angle collisions?
Yep, Crew Chief acts as an engineer and spotter over the radio, giving info on your car as well as if/when there are cars alongside you.

However I don't yet get the meaning of the competition when AI never makes mistakes
The AI does make mistakes. They suffer from simulated "stress", meaning they can mess things up occasionally when they're under pressure.

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about and it can be so very annoying .. there is a way though, other than turning the AI down. Thankfully as I have become better and better and it is far less of a problem, however I do keep checking my mirror on approach.

The more skill you obtain, the more you will like the AI, trust me, many of the fast guys in R3E love the AI because they get a real challenge from racing the AI.

You are at your highest percentage of being hit by the AI if you are on the racing line approaching a bend and breaking before the AI, they will for sure hit you and end your race.

Choice one ... Practice practice and more practice, to become as good as the AI approaching a bend, if you are breaking with them or later, there is no fear of the AI ending you race.

Choice two ..On approach check your mirror, if there is an AI car directly behind you or close, move off the racing line, (they will stay on the racing line) yes you will loose a few 10ths by moving of the racing line, but your race will not be ended ...as I have already mentioned, as you gain more skill, this will become less and less of a problem.

Yep, Crew Chief acts as an engineer and spotter over the radio, giving info on your car as well as if/when there are cars alongside you.
Wow nice..it's even a lot better/more realistic than the radar view.

The AI does make mistakes. They suffer from simulated "stress", meaning they can mess things up occasionally when they're under pressure.
OK, so pushing maybe provokes some mistakes...will see

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about and it can be so very annoying .. there is a way though, other than turning the AI down. Thankfully as I have become better and better and it is far less of a problem, however I do keep checking my mirror on approach.

The more skill you obtain, the more you will like the AI, trust me, many of the fast guys in R3E love the AI because they get a real challenge from racing the AI.

You are at your highest percentage of being hit by the AI if you are on the racing line approaching a bend and breaking before the AI, they will for sure hit you and end your race.

Choice one ... Practice practice and more practice, to become as good as the AI approaching a bend, if you are breaking with them or later, there is no fear of the AI ending you race.

Choice two ..On approach check your mirror, if there is an AI car directly behind you or close, move off the racing line, (they will stay on the racing line) yes you will loose a few 10ths by moving of the racing line, but your race will not be ended ...as I have already mentioned, as you gain more skill, this will become less and less of a problem.
Good..will go with choice two if there is a car in the mirror...or Crew chief announces faster cars :)

Btw. nice helpful community here..thanks so far..having a lot to practice :)

Last edited:
Looking at this video you're way too slow for the AI. As others have mentioned turn the AI down and spend some time to learn the track by yourself. My preference is to practice with the AI but I always use the rear view mirror to see the AI cars and move out of their way if they're faster or if I make a mistake. It's not wise to try to stay on the racing line as they'll be approaching at speed. Treat your learning sessions as multiclass races and let them by or move over. Sometimes its best to let them through and attempt to follow them to improve your speed and understanding of the circuits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back