AGGHH! Transparancies Textures on Objects problem :(

This is driving me nuts!...

Im not a genius at model building, but im not an idiot either. so far ive made a few simple models in sketchup, all painted in simple solid jpg textures, then exported/kmz/zip/xpacker into BTB with no problems. easy!

so, now i decide to get fancy, and try making simple objects like crowds etc, using transparent images with alpha channels to texture the objects in sketchup, then export/kmz/zip/xpacker and into BTB where the objects look perfect, exactly as planned.

THEN comes export from BTB to rfactor, and all goes to crap!

in rfactor (and 3dsimed) the textures for these new objects are randomly replaced with some other texture from some other object in the track.

so far ive tried using everything from GIF/PNG/TGA as the image source (with alpha channels, all correct 512/256 etc sizing) before building the objects in sketchup. ive tried xpacking them individually, with different names, together, bundled with some other xpack i already had there, etc etc. bascially tried a bunch of different ways to see if importing the objects into BTB would make any difference. NOPE! lol

so, any suggestions? i dont quite get whats going on. the materials are correctly defined in the xpack xml files, and BTB puts it all together correctly, i cant think where its then going wrong when exporting?? 3dsimed shows the same incorrect textures, so its not something just on therfactor side of things.

see attached pic and note obviously incorrect textures, which in this instance, are infact a texture from a house window on another object, from another xpack??!! other objects have similarly incorrect textures, from yet other models, such as a wall from my bridge... WTF!?! lol :)

cheers
ed

Attachments

• Untitled-9.jpg
    Untitled-9.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 295
  • Untitled-8.jpg
    Untitled-8.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 306
and just to add, if i put, say the raw PNG file as a texture applied to an existing material (from within BTB materials menu) and then apply that material to a wall... no problems.

so what am i doning wrong with my objects?? :confused:

cheers
ed

pic below of PNG image directly applied to a material via BTB and assigned to a wall.

Attachments

• Untitled-8.jpg
    Untitled-8.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 246
The texture should not the problem, unless it is a tex with multiple images on it, and if that's the case the mipmaps could cause an issue. the dark ones could be a normals issue, you can set them to up normals.

Its hard to get an idea on what's going on here with just pictures, can you zip up the gmt's and the texture's and post them so I or someone can have a look at them? Filefront is a good place to host files.

well, that didnt exactly work... :(

ok, i assume pepole are talking about the texture filename that sketchup exports out? ie, i have a simple object with a single texture, starts off life as say 'cameraman.png' and when i export it out of sketchup as a kmz it gets renamed to 'texture0.png' assigned to 'material0'. correct?

so pepole are saying that 'texture0.png' is not 8.3 compliant due to 9 symbols before the period?

ok, so i went and renamed the 'texture0.png' to just 'texture.png' and also altered the material xml file to point o the new .png filename

still came up in BTB just fine, but again, when exporting, it just adaopted another texture from some other object (but a different texture this time!)

any ideas?

someone possibly have a look at the files ive uploaded there?

cheers
ed

blagh, i am retarded. and cannot count

regardless, changing the file name did SFA to my problems! lol...

cheers
ed

(ps, if anyone wants tips on how to look like a complete amateur on a forum, PM me for details!)

cheers mate

fwiw i tried making ANOTHER .png based object again, and yet again on export it stole another objects texture.

so i went and deleted that object (whose texture was being stolen) and lo and behold it stole a texture froma different object this time

now i also went and made a dummy track with NOTHING on it, just road and terrain, and the object shows up fine there??

wtf??

cheers
ed

I see the texture is half on, half off and not mapped directly onto the mesh. See first pic. Second pic is fixed and mapped properly.

Try this fix first and see what happens.
I changed 2 things, first I remapped the texture and second I gave it an individual material name.

http://3rdgearmotorsports.com/files/fmarsh.gmt
What you must do here is change the entry in the scn file.
Open your tracks scn in notepad and search for obj_1184, you will find 2 entries, one will be the instance the other will be the meshfile. Change them both to fmarsh so it looks like this.
Instance=fmarsh
{
MeshFile=fmarsh.gmt etc=blahh etc=blahh
}

then dump fmarsh.gmt into the track folder and fire it up.

This is just the process of elimination, it might not fix it yet.

Attachments

• flagmarshal01.jpg
    flagmarshal01.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 244
  • flagmarshal02.jpg
    flagmarshal02.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 227

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 313 15.4%
  • < 2 years