After 10 years - does iRacing have a useable tire model?

I have allways had a great respect for GamerMuscles assessments of racing games and gadgets.
Because to the contrary of influencers from another english speaking country he has a lot of humour and self irony.
Hehe specially self irony is completely lacking from the other country :rolleyes:
GamerMuscle: Please dont buy anything from our sponsors :x3::x3:

OK. A few days ago he gave a short review of iRacings new V7 tire model in the Dalara F3 car.
And now Im actually discussing with myself if I should resub when iRacing get their stuff together and does enable my favorite L79 and Nissan GTP with the new TM.
Because the main reason I aborted my 5+ years membership a year ago was exactly iRacings joke of a TM.:poop:
Hehe and GamerMuscles description of the old TM sounds like an echo of my own irritation.:whistling:

Directly transcribed from the video:
6:46
"It (the V7 TM) is passing the threshold controlability (which is) passing the basic level of how rubber wheels work.
So it can be driven like a real car.
iRacing with old TM (
pre V7) just dont do that at all.
9:09
The previous iRacing TM is a complete and utter disaster and joke - and allways has been."

So maybe on the next black friday I will have to open my wallet.:unsure:

iRacing F3 - The New Tire Model V7 Transforms iRacing !
GamerMuscleVideos
Published on Sep 8, 2019

1.jpg

The thing that's different with other sims is the ffb. Take any wheel and any car (except maybe dd wheels) and do a lap on the mx5 or any other car, you don't feel anything like AC, AMS, LFS and even dirt rally. Because they inform different things. Oh you can feel the kerbs! But who cares, you need to feel the suspension, load forces etc.

A lot of people are confusing tire model with ffb feeling.
But eventhough a change of TM can change the ffb feeling in a racing game then a change in the games ffb code doesnt change anything in the games TM.
Hehe just like buying a DD wheel doesnt change anything in the TM of ones prefered racing game.:)
I own a T500 with T3PA (Pro ?) pedals - but because I consider the ffb feeling in the different racing games I own as some kind of canned or unrealistic I use the SRW-S1 non-ffb wheel instead.
So talking about iRacings rather "puristic" ffb feeling instead of iRacings NewNewNew Tire Model makes no sense (for me).:)

I have a T300 wheel. I am anxious to try the new tire model. One gripe I always had with iRacing was the need to "tiptoe"around the track and feeling like it was so difficult to really push the car to the limit. It may be realistic but I didnt enjoy it. It has improved though as the tire model has progressed. Should get a chance to try it tonight

I have allways had a great respect for GamerMuscles assessments of racing games and gadgets.
Because to the contrary of influencers from another english speaking country he has a lot of humour and self irony.
Hehe specially self irony is completely lacking from the other country :rolleyes:
GamerMuscle: Please dont buy anything from our sponsors :x3::x3:

OK. A few days ago he gave a short review of iRacings new V7 tire model in the Dalara F3 car.
And now Im actually discussing with myself if I should resub when iRacing get their stuff together and does enable my favorite L79 and Nissan GTP with the new TM.
Because the main reason I aborted my 5+ years membership a year ago was exactly iRacings joke of a TM.:poop:
Hehe and GamerMuscles description of the old TM sounds like an echo of my own irritation.:whistling:

Directly transcribed from the video:
6:46
"It (the V7 TM) is passing the threshold controlability (which is) passing the basic level of how rubber wheels work.
So it can be driven like a real car.
iRacing with old TM (
pre V7) just dont do that at all.
9:09
The previous iRacing TM is a complete and utter disaster and joke - and allways has been."

So maybe on the next black friday I will have to open my wallet.:unsure:

iRacing F3 - The New Tire Model V7 Transforms iRacing !
GamerMuscleVideos
Published on Sep 8, 2019

View attachment 323920
well the very fact he says the tyre model combined with f3 feels like a real tyre,just proves gm has no clue what so ever,everyone with a brain cell is saying its not realistic one bit on that car

well the very fact he says the tyre model combined with f3 feels like a real tyre,just proves gm has no clue what so ever,everyone with a brain cell is saying its not realistic one bit on that car
You mean everyone with your brain cell says it's not realistic. My brain cell says it is more drive-able, more race-able, more fun and more competitive than all previous ice-racing tyre models, but that's just my half of brain cell, which is obviously more inferior than your half of brain cell. :confused::cautious:

You mean everyone with your brain cell says it's not realistic. My brain cell says it is more drive-able, more race-able, more fun and more competitive than all previous ice-racing tyre models, but that's just my half of brain cell, which is obviously more inferior than your half of brain cell. :confused::cautious:
No I mean the real life drivers who have said its not realistic, but it's a well known fact the tyre model is goofed on the f3, just pointing out gm knows nothing

Hahaha. Pretty competent reaction;)
When somebody post something on an intelligence level way under the floor there is no reason to use time to raise the bar:thumbsup:

So what is the general consensus on iRracing's physics current state?
Better than AC and rF2 or not as good?
Although I guess AC is kind of a love hate type?
really the physics a great. the entire field has the same, the car does act like you think it would, and FFB is quite good on a DD wheel.
it isn't like you are racing several different games at once. each world has its flavor, and in iracing the quality of tracks, the feel, all are good so good, every one complains and compares it to a few other who are the top of the game. It is fun, it feels much like cars on tracks i have raced (although less noise and visceral of course)
no one should be dissapointed so long as you approach it as a sim, and everyone you race thinks they are Senna/Lowndes/Schumacher/Plato/Gordon/Johnson/Kristensen/Montoya/Surtees/Redman/Hamilton all in the first lap first corner and try to win. breathe there are many laps,
i have never learned to love fighting for 3rd more than here, Live ForSpeed was close, but here a win is excellent and the fair battles with good drivers for any position is bliss.
this is a very good experience.

Well, to reply to the original post I completely disagree with anything Gamer Muscle says. The dude had something like a 1200 iRating the last time I checked (you start at 1500 for reference). So, he's not exactly a good driver nor has he demonstrated that he even remotely knows how to drive on any of his streams. Try someone like Jimmy Broadbent for a better look into sim racing IMO.

I used to have a T500 when I started iRacing and I found the ffb to be very numb. I still enjoyed myself immensely (although I did hate it at first because I didn't know any tracks) but over time I improved my craft and grew to like it. You can improve the ffb with irFFB a tiny bit, but good hardware will make a big difference. A Fanatec wheel or direct drive will probably change your opinion. I love the way the GTE cars handle (old tire model) and I also like the GT1 cars (new tire model). The F3 is basically wrong with the new tire model. It yaws horribly and looks arcady if you watch a trailing camera on it. The back end basically drifts without any wheel correction. There's something wrong there and I'm sure iRacing will adress it. The Skip Barber is pretty good on the new tire model as well.

iRacing isn't for everyone and they've said all along they won't add any canned effects so it will always be more subtle than what you get from AC or rF2.

My brain cell says it is more drive-able, more race-able, more fun and more competitive than all previous ice-racing tyre models. :confused::cautious:

I would much rather have an un-drivable, unraceable, unforgiving, frustrating, non fun, competition-destroying tyre that is realistic.
I have never driven a real F3 car so knowing that the tyre model is accurate is super important to me. Sure, I'll give up after 2 laps, just like I would in the real car, but it will only have cost me $12.00, so that is money saved as far as I'm concerned.

iRacing isn't for everyone and they've said all along they won't add any canned effects so it will always be more subtle than what you get from AC or rF2.

Sometimes a canned effect is more realistic than no effect.

Disclaimer - I turn off flat-spotting on rFactor because it makes the car harder to drive; sometimes no effect is better than a canned effect.

Just about EVERYTHING in iracing - and all racing sims - is a canned effect, it's only the size and numbers of cans that alters.

really the physics a great. the entire field has the same, the car does act like you think it would, and FFB is quite good on a DD wheel.
it isn't like you are racing several different games at once. each world has its flavor, and in iracing the quality of tracks, the feel, all are good so good, every one complains and compares it to a few other who are the top of the game. It is fun, it feels much like cars on tracks i have raced (although less noise and visceral of course)
no one should be dissapointed so long as you approach it as a sim, and everyone you race thinks they are Senna/Lowndes/Schumacher/Plato/Gordon/Johnson/Kristensen/Montoya/Surtees/Redman/Hamilton all in the first lap first corner and try to win. breathe there are many laps,
i have never learned to love fighting for 3rd more than here, Live ForSpeed was close, but here a win is excellent and the fair battles with good drivers for any position is bliss.
this is a very good experience.

Real car conditions are much, much more violent behind the wheel for sure. Just watch an in cockpit video of a real car if anyone has any doubts.
I like iRacing's physics the most myself. When I get into a reaction situation the car behaves realistic.
rF2 can feel really good too with some cars, while other sims struggle with balanced traction and realistic weight transfer. iRacing has best back end feel I think.

Well, to reply to the original post I completely disagree with anything Gamer Muscle says. The dude had something like a 1200 iRating the last time I checked (you start at 1500 for reference). So, he's not exactly a good driver nor has he demonstrated that he even remotely knows how to drive on any of his streams. Try someone like Jimmy Broadbent for a better look into sim racing IMO.

I used to have a T500 when I started iRacing and I found the ffb to be very numb. I still enjoyed myself immensely (although I did hate it at first because I didn't know any tracks) but over time I improved my craft and grew to like it. You can improve the ffb with irFFB a tiny bit, but good hardware will make a big difference. A Fanatec wheel or direct drive will probably change your opinion. I love the way the GTE cars handle (old tire model) and I also like the GT1 cars (new tire model). The F3 is basically wrong with the new tire model. It yaws horribly and looks arcady if you watch a trailing camera on it. The back end basically drifts without any wheel correction. There's something wrong there and I'm sure iRacing will adress it. The Skip Barber is pretty good on the new tire model as well.

He has 2k irating at the moment. And he didn't play that much of iracing because he didn't like it. To be fair certain cars feel great in the old tire model. The MX5 for me was a really nice experience since I used to drive one (my grandad's) and it felt very similar. Things like the SRF however feel completely wrong. I haven't driven the F3 yet so won't make my judgement on it but the Skip Barber is awesome and bear in mind GM never raced an F3 car so he wouldn't know if it is right or wrong. For him it feels good and that is mostly what we can aim to achieve unless we have actual track experience in one of these cars.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 199 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%