After 10 years - does iRacing have a useable tire model?

I have allways had a great respect for GamerMuscles assessments of racing games and gadgets.
Because to the contrary of influencers from another english speaking country he has a lot of humour and self irony.
Hehe specially self irony is completely lacking from the other country :rolleyes:
GamerMuscle: Please dont buy anything from our sponsors :x3::x3:

OK. A few days ago he gave a short review of iRacings new V7 tire model in the Dalara F3 car.
And now Im actually discussing with myself if I should resub when iRacing get their stuff together and does enable my favorite L79 and Nissan GTP with the new TM.
Because the main reason I aborted my 5+ years membership a year ago was exactly iRacings joke of a TM.:poop:
Hehe and GamerMuscles description of the old TM sounds like an echo of my own irritation.:whistling:

Directly transcribed from the video:
6:46
"It (the V7 TM) is passing the threshold controlability (which is) passing the basic level of how rubber wheels work.
So it can be driven like a real car.
iRacing with old TM (
pre V7) just dont do that at all.
9:09
The previous iRacing TM is a complete and utter disaster and joke - and allways has been."

So maybe on the next black friday I will have to open my wallet.:unsure:

iRacing F3 - The New Tire Model V7 Transforms iRacing !
GamerMuscleVideos
Published on Sep 8, 2019

1.jpg

the offroad cars in iRacing feel pretty good... its the only enjoyable thing out there.... you can slide the truck easy as expected. Not sure what the deal is why the tire is so good there and on all open wheel cars its like shiat.

But I disagree with Raceroom and rF2 tires as well... the only pretty close to reality is AC - 312t Ferrari where you can slide it predictive. No modder / sim actually nailed the feeling of powersliding an high downforce open wheel car is it Indycar, F1 or other kind of similar cars. Why is that? It must be hard to simulate I guess. Or they have a wrong fundamental thinking how it should react.

My guess is that all the offroad cars use a completely different tire model.
Eventhough this has never been mentioned by iRacing.
It would probably be very easy to implement - because you cant use the offroad cars on road tracks.
Right?:unsure:

Conserning rF2 then I was extremely satisfied with the car feeling in the FR3.5 - before rF2 became 100% messed up on my computer.
And completely deleted from HD. :roflmao:
Conserning Raceroom then I have been satisfied with the behaviour of most the high powered formula cars(FR90, FRX19, FRUS,etc) until I tested the V10/V12 in AMS2.
After that my satisfaction with Raceroom have fainted - because I now feel that the Raceroom cars are floating too much compared to the mentioned AMS2 cars.
It just feels like there is no direct connection between car & tarmac in Raceroom.:sleep:

BæTheWay: I should never have tried AMS2:laugh:

Last edited:
OK thanks for the correction.
Because then my postulate that the dirt cars are running a different TM dont hold water.
Because if the road cars can be driven on dirt tracks it would be pretty easy to tell if the TM was completely different.;)

BæTheWay: I hope its obvious that I wasnt completely certain.:rolleyes:
Hehe that was the reason I asked:

Last edited:
@Mike Kadlcak
I just want to add that I consider many of the cars in AMS2 completely rubbish.
I tested as example the old Vintage(?) formula cars.:rolleyes:
Im not sure they are called Vintage.:roflmao:
But its the same formula cars as in legendary GPL.
They are completely rubbish to do anything reasonable with in AMS2.
And I can still remember how they were challenging but reasonable in the Papyrus Legend.:cool:

On the other hand lotus49 in iRacing is still crap after all these years. So is the lotus79. :p
Ah come on my good man - this is close to blasphemy:roflmao:
I had 2 favorite cars when I was a member.
The Nissan GTP and the Lotus79.
These 2 cars were almost the only ones I could get to slightly drifting without having to be afraid of iRacings mandatory digital(sudden) loosing the rear.
And it was also possible to get these 2 cars to controlled to rotate before a corner by downshifting.
But I fully agree that iRacings Lotus49 was/is(?) a complete joke.

BæTheWay: If I remember right then iRacings L49 was just as bad as the AMS2 Vantage cars I did mention:sleep:

Last edited:
I must have missed that time of period where the L79 was nice to drive... or I didn’t test it recently ;)

New update will get some more tire updates to few cars... will try the SpecRacer after the update. That should slide easy like in RL.

Also the Gto and Nissan gtp get updates... i dont own those yet tho.

Are you sure this is what he is saying in the video where he compare iRacing with some of the competition?
Because what he is saying is that iRacings tires feels like when you in RL does fit wet tires on a car and then drive it on a dry track.

If I understand you right in the quotation then you are saying that if everybody like in iRacing and Raceroom are forced to use the same tires(TM) - then everything is OK.
Hmm:whistling:
well not okay, if it is all wrong- but we are all using the same simulation so the playing field is equal, so we all would need to adjust the driving and behavior in the same way to excel. but the tire models are not so different game to game- my lap times are similar from Race room to Iracing at the same track in similar vehicles or the same, i feel the difference and need to adjust, but these things aren't just banana peels on oily floors, or sand paper on carpet.
nothing is a s catchable as LFS though, but does this make it correct either

Nervously awaiting driving the SRF on it's "updated tyre parameters" or "archetype" as they have decided to call something new.
After a couple of years getting used to the lift off oversteer and finally feeling accomplished in the pint-sized rocket, I am terrified that all that foreplay will be forgotten and she will go back to being an ice(tyre) maiden.

I'll know soon.
People still hate the GT3 tyres though.

This would be hard to accomplish :)
I'm not sure they could get rid of him if they wanted to, but regardless, most GTE/GT3 drivers seem very upset with the tire behavior, and especially near the limit.

As an open wheel driver, and specifically the F3, I enjoy the NTM, but I also enjoyed the previous iteration, and am mostly interested in the competitive multiplayer aspect of iRacing anyway.

That said, if they're anywhere near as knife-edged as is claimed, I would probably have great difficulty driving the current GT3/GTE cars, and really hope the open wheelers aren't headed in that direction.

To that end, I also wish the devs would address some of the nearly universal complaints that have recently dominated the forums.

Nervously awaiting driving the SRF on it's "updated tyre parameters" or "archetype" as they have decided to call something new.
After a couple of years getting used to the lift off oversteer and finally feeling accomplished in the pint-sized rocket, I am terrified that all that foreplay will be forgotten and she will go back to being an ice(tyre) maiden.

I'll know soon.
People still hate the GT3 tyres though.
I probably shouldn't assume anything, but I can't imagine the SRF driving dynamics changing much at all. From what I understand, the motor is incredibly heavy, and located so far from the COG that lift off oversteer will define the car on pretty much any tire conceivable.

Just did a few test drives....
SRF and SkipBarber are nice to drive now after the update. SRF has no longer this crazy lift off oversteer.... why would it... it has a normal synchro like street cars do....the physics were just messed up.

probably will have some fun in the SpecRacer with AI next...

Man, got back into racing and thought to give iRacing a go again ( after nearly 10 years lol ), only to find out I still don´t like it .. feeling so disconnected with the road at the limit. Investigating the webs what other people think or it is just me and it seems last tyre model isn't helping their cause. Cancelling the sub again and sticking with AC ACC Rf2.

Found this vid 2 which cracked me up

I just can't imagine why they - in all those years - didn't adjust the over the limit behaviour of the tires. I mean, in rf2 most cars are perfectly catchable and soooo much better to drive (can't even begin to explain how much better and thus easier) and even about rf2 the pro-drivers complain that RL is easier..

That's besides the hopefully outdated tracks and cars, replace the Z4 GT3 already!!!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 287 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 415 39.8%