After 1.3 sometimes missing down-shift ?

Tobbe Bergman

@Simberia
I've noticed since 1.3 that I often miss 3rd gear when trying to shift down from 4th with sequential ( Paddles or stick ) ?
The gear stays in 4th and I have to shift again to get down to 3rd.

No problems with this in Dirt Rally

Anyone else having this problem ?

Here is the full changelog straight from the devs:
  • "64bit build
  • Car physics is now calculated in separate threads
  • Fixed KERS disabled in pitlane
  • Added soft locks (use [SOFT_LOCK] ENABLED=1 in system/cfg/assetto_corsa.ini)
  • Added support for DRS zones
  • acServer is now stressing much less Go' GC and should offer more stable performances
  • Added FORCE_TGT to force low res timer in assetto_corsa.ini
  • acServer is now using Go 1.5, faster GC
  • Added server welcome message
  • Fixed gear ratio appearing with a double "/" in setup screen
  • Fixed acServer unable to read ini values with a "=" character (ex AUTH)
  • Fixed driver name displayer not obeying to saved settings in MP
  • Fixed acServer not creating "results" folder automatically
  • New algorithms to calculate skid volumes and pitch, now working globally in the entire simulation
  • Added grain and blister readings in the setup info screen
  • Added downshift protection to gearboxes
  • Lap count is now reported using 16bit unsigned integer to server plugins
  • Now using triple buffer when vsync is on to reduce latency
  • Exposure settings are now persistent
  • Fixed audio clicks on surface events
  • Tyre flat spots are now taking into account tyre softness
  • Windscreens now receive shadows
  • ksEditor: now it uses the same ingame engine.
  • ksEditor: added project menagement
  • ksEditor: added user personalizations
  • ksEditor: added floating windows and layout system
  • ksEditor: added Weather and PPfilter loader
  • ksEditor: added recent files/project management
  • ksEditor: added node filter in scene panel
  • ksEditor: added Material by Texture in Materials panel
  • ksEditor: added scene icons and side function buttons
  • ksEditor: added texture detail on Material panel
  • ksEditor: added Texture Review windows in Utilities
  • ksEditor: fixed reload texture function
  • ksEditor: now the default CultureInfo is en-US (number format, ect)
  • ksEditor: added FOV, Near Plane Slider, Mouse sensitivity, camera angle and position under Viewport
  • ksEditor: added Dashboard tab
  • acServerManager: removed some upper limits on parameters
  • acServerManager: preset name/description is more clear
  • acServerManager: added welcome message
  • acServerManager: added qualify limit
  • acServerManager: added fixed setup management
  • acServerManager: fixed upload on ftp. Now cfg folder is not deleted.
  • Fixed driver textures on serveral cars
  • Fixed circuit outline on track selection UI
  • Camera Dev App now save F1 cameras' exposure and pitch, F6 cameras' exposure, fov and position and angle
  • Removed background from Performance Delta App
  • Redesigned and faster code for logging
  • Updated Tyres V5 for GT2 and GT3 cars, should give less understeer.
  • Zonda R and Ferrari 599XX and Formula Abarth now have V5 tyres.
  • Less lift off oversteer for Evora S on street tyres V5
  • GT3 and GT2 cars updated aero stalling for front splitter and diffuser
  • GT3 slight performance balancing
  • Mclaren MP4 GT3 tyre corrections
  • Fixed TC digital item showing 0 based index when multiple TC level are available
  • Now showing Cold and Hot pressure readings in setup status
  • Added "NA" for IMO temps reading when no set has been swapped out
  • Added support for track dynamic objects
  • It is now possible to join a server using admin passoword and be automatically granted admin rights
  • Joining a server with admin password will override the session "closed" status
  • Added "ban_id" admin command to ban a user and send straight to blacklist
  • Remote cars in multiplayer now generate skidmarks
  • Fixed EDL wrong calculation order"

I am finding this feature to be an unfortunate and unrealistic addition to several of my favourite Formula style cars... I understand the banging down the gears issue... however this stops you doing a quick flick down a gear into fast corners in F1... this is unrealistic and quite an immersion killer. I really think the 'gearbox protection' should be either car specific - or a Driving Assist. controllable at server side preferably...

My friends who play are already frustrated by this feature and no doubt some of the excellent F1 modding teams are also. iRacing has it and it puts me off very quickly.

Really hoping for a fix... I was very happy with AC until this.

I am finding this feature to be an unfortunate and unrealistic addition to several of my favourite Formula style cars... I understand the banging down the gears issue... however this stops you doing a quick flick down a gear into fast corners in F1... this is unrealistic and quite an immersion killer. I really think the 'gearbox protection' should be either car specific - or a Driving Assist. controllable at server side preferably...

My friends who play are already frustrated by this feature and no doubt some of the excellent F1 modding teams are also. iRacing has it and it puts me off very quickly.

Really hoping for a fix... I was very happy with AC until this.

I did not experience the gear box protection on the Lotus Exos.
Perhaps mod cars need an update after 1.3 ;)

I'm not sure how mod cars would be able to get around it... it seems to deny any car a shift that'll put it above red line in the lower gear... in a Formula car you sometimes need that extra shift mid corner, especially if you're running wide... not being able to pull the gear can run you off track... it's a fairly harsh limitation on the driving dynamics.

In a competitive sense - when you're talking hundredths of a second in qualifying -

You're now either losing time under braking as you've been denied a downshift... OR you're losing time under braking by delaying your shifts a touch too long - to ensure a more likely shift...

Feels very intrusive to me. Flicking down a gear for the fast right handers at Silverstone is now a big risk... brake to get the shift and lose time... or be denied the shift and run wide... really think this needs to be made less hardcore from the game side.

Especially if it's primarily an online policing tool.

Glad I found this post, practising in the GT3 Lamborghini last night and I kept overshooting the corners because every time I came to a corner it refused to let me downshift! I even tried different styles of braking into the corner but it's definitely something I need to get used to.

This will force some people to modify their driving style to a more realistic style where you can't downshift a car and rev the engine over the red line to prevent damage to the engine. Looks like this feature is doing exactly as it should by preventing unrealistic driving styles which tend to occur in sim racing vs real racing.

Realistic is, that the real racing cars don´t have this function...
You can turn on damage and you can burn your engine, if you will not downshift corectly...
That´s realistic, this protection not.

When I think about it, this reminds me of the first time I drove a paddle shift road car, the ECU kept deciding what gear I should be in, bloody thing drove me nuts! :mad::roflmao:

Seriously though it is distracting only because like someone mentioned above, at some fast circuits, you might lightly brake or lift and then drop a gear into the corner, Blanchemont for example. It took me about 10 laps to figure out when it would allow me to downchange, and this was on my own, not in the heat of a race battle. Wednesday night is gonna be interesting.....

Realistic is, that the real racing cars don´t have this function...
You can turn on damage and you can burn your engine, if you will not downshift corectly...
That´s realistic, this protection not.

Realistic is that many people wouldn't drive a real car the way they would in sim racing when there's no consequences to bad driving style.

I'm not sure how people have made 'quickly downshift to above the redline' a regular part of fast corners... are they depending on the automatic throttle cut that comes with being over redline to slow them down while keeping their foot on the throttle or something?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 230 14.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 158 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 156 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 117 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 223 14.3%