After 1.3 sometimes missing down-shift ?

Tobbe Bergman

@Simberia
I've noticed since 1.3 that I often miss 3rd gear when trying to shift down from 4th with sequential ( Paddles or stick ) ?
The gear stays in 4th and I have to shift again to get down to 3rd.

No problems with this in Dirt Rally

Anyone else having this problem ?

I wonder what would happen when this "feature" is given the ability to be turned off and then engine and transmission damage is turned up a few orders or magnitude....

THREAD TITLE: WHY IS MY ENGINE RED AFTER THE FIRST LAP AT MONZA?
Remember this quote. It is a glimpse into the future:cool:.
Personally I'm for the ability to turn it off but I would love to see swift justice administered for over-revving an engine. Trying to use "engine braking" in a car not designed for it is a one way ticket to an exhibition of crankcase littering the track behind you.

Not a question of ranting, i'm just expressing my opinion, if you can disable ABS in some cars you should be able to disable that downshift protection, i don't want no abuse or cheating because you should damage your gearbox if done incorrectly, just whishing that as this is a simulation software you can change options as you want...

In relation to hardware it's precisely the same thing, i can do a league where only H shifter is permited, all the guys with paddles are excluded, the same way you should be able to set up a server where you don't have downshift protection, this is what i'm talking about!
I have no idea, why you are bothering with AC, if rFactor2 is so much better and why does this change even bother you... Saying "go **** yourselves if you dont have H-shifter" is also ignorant. What is your problem? Devs put this in, so you cant downshift like a retard even with damage turned off.

BTW, it's nice how you are assuming how I drive, from what I want in the game. Just shows how ignorant you are. Enjoy the flawless rFactor 2.

Lol, don't get angry fanboy, my favourite simulator is in fact rFactor2, got problem with that? I like AC too, aswell as GSCE, i'm not blind or fanboy! I thank God for havig such great and different simulators and i support them all. Also you didn't understand that i was just supposing about the H shifter, just to give an example on how things should be allways optional in a simulation software. I know how to drive a car without damaging it but i understand some will love this downshift protection, that way they don't blow engine and finish their race on first corner...

Cheers!

Lol, don't get angry fanboy, my favourite simulator is in fact rFactor2, got problem with that? I like AC too, aswell as GSCE, i'm not blind or fanboy! I thank God for havig such great and different simulators and i support them all. Also you didn't understand that i was just supposing about the H shifter, just to give an example on how things should be allways optional in a simulation software. I know how to drive a car without damaging it but i understand some will love this downshift protection, that way they don't blow engine and finish their race on first corner...

Cheers!
Dont you get what I was talking about? Its not about keeping your gearbox alive, its about downshifting too fast. I don't like it because it will keep me from damaging my gearbox, i like it, because now it will not be possible to "downshift like a retarded baboon".

Cheers!
But we never got to blow the engine on any semiauto transmission car for using the very fast downshifts as brakes. So everyone could do it before. Even today you can, has this DSP prevented you from downshifting a GT2/3 car since 1.3.3, and if so in which corners? I don't see it as an assist for that reason, since before 1.3 engine damage on high over revving wasn't a thing for anybody; though with some street car might have happened, like the alfa romeo 4c, mostly from 3rd to 2nd.

thought this closest topic thread.
when i drive GT2, GT3 cars and at start before goes green, i have all off except for Auto Blip and Auto Clutch, my question: how to avoid RPM stalling when going from Neutral to 1st on green? any race car i try same thing happens, at start i rev up then green i shift into 1st and bam! RPM drops dead...???

when i drive GT2, GT3 cars and at start before goes green, i have all off except for Auto Blip and Auto Clutch, my question: how to avoid RPM stalling when going from Neutral to 1st on green? any race car i try same thing happens, at start i rev up then green i shift into 1st and bam! RPM drops dead...???

No need for either of those assists on a GT racing car, they may even cause some buggy behaviour.
I have a clutch pedal, but I still launch without it. Just keep the pedal to the floor and select 1st.. Some cars have a too long first gear though, and need some clutching, the 458 GT2 being the worst offender. See in the setup if your 1st gear is good for over ~95 kph. If so, it´s too long. Otherwise the car will launch like a race car should ;)

if you are driving a street car, then is not unrealistic. However most RACECARS that have been customized to race on track will have their ECUs rewritten. The protection may still be there but at a much higher RPM and stretches the engine to its fullest. SO in that regards it is UNREALISTIC to have that level of protection in AC while racing on track.

Turn off TC for the launch. Turn it back on when you get a chance. If you have a keyboard that supports it I recommend a macro key for TC, ABS, etc. It works wonders. If you're really ninja you can apply a macro to a button on the wheel for CTRL+T, CTRL+A, etc. but I have yet to figure out a way to do it. I will continue investigating. I need to find something to do with all these buttons on the wheel.

if you are driving a street car, then is not unrealistic. However most RACECARS that have been customized to race on track will have their ECUs rewritten. The protection may still be there but at a much higher RPM and stretches the engine to its fullest. SO in that regards it is UNREALISTIC to have that level of protection in AC while racing on track.
Majority of the GT field has restrictors reducing them to less horsepower than stock engine, so they're tuned to make power lower than the engine's max rpm. That's why the 458 GT2 shift lights tell you to shift at 6200 or so when the redline's 7000. And there's no reason to raise the redline when it's already way above the power band... you can already downshift 800 rpm before it's worth downshifting.

I still haven't seen any actual evidence that race cars run downshift protection that cuts in anywhere other than the redline - F1 does it that way because the regulations set a max RPM, prototypes/GTs I've seen manuals for do it that way to protect the production-based engines, there's no benefit to shifting above that so they don't allow it. The LMP1s shift very low (under 4k in the Audi from what I know) due to engine regulations as well. Of course entirely mechanical sequentials/h-patterns don't have it, but AC has none of the first that I know of and the second don't have any limits.

Last edited:
People seriously never knew it was in F1? :cautious:

It's been there for years, even Grand Prix 4 has it built in, and that was based on the 2001 season. Of course, this does not mean every F1 team has it, or has had it since it was introduced.

Quickly downshifting doesn't mean they are over-reving the engine - say an older car where the max revs was 18 000 rpm, when they downshift fast, it doesn't suddenly mean they go to 19 000 on those shifts - that's the quickest way to DNF within a few laps. The braking/aero braking is so powerful that, by the time the next shift comes, you are already under the rev limit if you shift down.

Also remembering that they would brake with pedal alone for say 0.3 seconds before shifting down, which would ensure they are under the rev limit even when shifting down quite quickly.

It takes a bit of time to get used to, but it makes more sense to have more realism.

It doesn't need any "heavy extra equipment" like someone here mentioned either. It will be done at a pure software level - ECU's or whatever they call it these days.

I still haven't seen any actual evidence that race cars run downshift protection that cuts in anywhere other than the redline

If you watch one of the last dev streams from Sector 3 with Bruno Spangler testing the new R3E DTM '15 cars he mentions that it's good they introduced DSP to the cars because his real DTM car has it. He commented that it was a little too protective because he couldn't quite downshift as fast as he could in the real car, so they made adjustments based on his recommendation. So, at least DTM cars have it in real life.

Last edited:
If you watch one of the last dev streams from Sector 3 with Bruno Spangler testing the new R3E DTM '15 cars he mentions that it's good they introduced DSP to the cars because his real DTM car has it. He commented that it was a little to protective because he couldn't quite downshift as fast as he could in the real car, so they made adjustments based on his recommendation. So, at least DTM cars have it in real life.

Exactly, nothing against, but it's too sensitive in AC, just like Bruno said...

In my opinion this new feature of protecting the engine and dont let us downshift at any time its a bullshit and starts making me and a lot of people who love this game annoyed !!! This feature should be in driver assists !!! I'm crashing a lot of times with sequencial cars because this stupid "improvement" dont let me downshift in a high speed turn just to dont go to wide !!!
Kunos simulazioni please fix this, dont kill the game !!!

I'm crashing a lot of times with sequencial cars because this stupid "improvement" dont let me downshift in a high speed turn just to dont go to wide !!!
Kunos simulazioni please fix this, dont kill the game !!!
Why you don't use the brake pedal to brake instead of downshifting to brake? What would happen to the cars without the downshift protection, the engine would get damaged? Maybe if kunos removes the protection, they need to raise engine damage for 'unrealistic downshifting at high speed/revs'?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back