After 1.3 sometimes missing down-shift ?

Tobbe Bergman

@Simberia
I've noticed since 1.3 that I often miss 3rd gear when trying to shift down from 4th with sequential ( Paddles or stick ) ?
The gear stays in 4th and I have to shift again to get down to 3rd.

No problems with this in Dirt Rally

Anyone else having this problem ?

In a mechanical sequential it might be more complicated, with paddle shifting & automatic clutch/throttle it's nothing at all to add it since the logic happens before anything physically moves. (if rpm is too high, ignore paddle button pushes)

Personally I am cool with the downshift protection but I am Very unhappy that it is forced upon us this feature should have been added to the game as an OPTION so the driver can decide who is in control.

Don't like the way they forced it upon us.

Otherwise this game just keeps improving every update so happy.

Personally I am cool with the downshift protection but I am Very unhappy that it is forced upon us this feature should have been added to the game as an OPTION so the driver can decide who is in control.

Don't like the way they forced it upon us.

Otherwise this game just keeps improving every update so happy.
An option wouldn't be ok, because it would allow unrealistic downshifting method. Then everyone would turn it off. This way is forced for everyone, and this shift protection is realistic. I don't know if it needs any tweak for some car, but the change makes sense, since is how they also do it in real life.

I guess making the engine/gearbox to break easier when downshifting unrealistic and option to adjust the gear protection (dont know if this is possible irl) would be better. Cause sometimes it is a metter of miliseconds to miss the downshift and open a turn or spin. But it is better like it is than not have it at all.

In such case you have a choice -be faster and risk of braking the car and not finish or go safe and turn on the protection.

We just need possibility to adjust it (modding)!
For mods yea (the mod creator), but for official cars only kunos controlled.

I guess making the engine/gearbox to break easier when downshifting unrealistic and option to adjust the gear protection (dont know if this is possible irl) would be better. Cause sometimes it is a metter of miliseconds to miss the downshift and open a turn or spin. But it is better like it is than not have it at all.

In such case you have a choice -be faster and risk of braking the car and not finish or go safe and turn on the protection.
When you sometimes miss the downshift with paddles, is because you are not using as much braking as necessary and just waiting for engine speed slowdown (engine braking without using the brake pedal). And sometimes you don't need to take the corner in 2nd when is possible/faster in 3rd. So when you do engine braking the rpm takes more time go down. So since before there wasn't downshifting protection, now it seems it takes too long for the engine to brake, whereas before you could downshift at any time. But the rpm decrease is still the same as before, you just need a bit different braking times/zones than before, to be in sync with the downshift protection.

Understand what you mean, theoriticaly you downshift for being on proper gear for exiting the turn not for turn entry, braking should be entirely on brakes. But this is not always the case, if you watch gt3 at spa irl you may notice how they sometimes downshift to slow for eau rouge. There are situations when you need mid turn downshift to help the car keep the line etc.. In some situations you need high rev downshift.

An option wouldn't be ok, because it would allow unrealistic downshifting method. Then everyone would turn it off. This way is forced for everyone, and this shift protection is realistic. I don't know if it needs any tweak for some car, but the change makes sense, since is how they also do it in real life.

An optional downshift protection would make more sense and force people to use brains and manage their engine and gearbox, just like true drivers done in the past (they're racing drivers remember?). What i find stupid is all those new technologies that make a racing driver look like a noob and racing boring.

This should be optional, people with more difficulty should turn it on, people more experienced could turn it off, with the risk of damaging or blowing your engine ;) there are cars simply boring to drive ATM...

Why can't people play the way they want to? We can turn ABS and TC on in cars that don't have it, we can turn on a colored line that shows us around the track, we can use paddle shifters in a 60's F1 car, we can set our driving view to be on top of the car or behind it, we can use auto-blip, we can use automatic transmissions in race cars that would never have such a thing. There's a number of unrealistic things we can do in sim racing, why should this one be banned for everyone? If an online host wants to enable it and force people to use it, that's fine. But for those who aren't hardcore realists and just want to have fun in SP, they should have the option to disable it if they want to. More options is better. I like the feature, I would leave it turned on, but I don't think everyone should be forced to play the way I do.

I genuinely cannot understand the issue people have with this new downshifting. Now slipstream is being called out with literally no evidence whatsoever. Ok.

I have no issue with it other than there is no option to disable it if someone doesn't want to use it. I'll use it, I think it's a great feature and I like the added realism. But there are plenty of people who are just looking for fun and don't want/can't deal with some of the hardcore realism stuff. I presume the goal of Kunos is to sell AC to as many people as possible, and all of us should want the same because the more copies they sell the more money they'll have to improve the sim. If they make it too hardcore then only the hardcore players are going to buy it/use it.

Since they're expanding to consoles, well there's a whole lot of console players who will just want to turn it on and have a quick blast with their controllers and some of the hardcore stuff may turn them away from it. As long as the hardcore options are still available it should have no effect on those of us who want as much realism as possible. I say this from a business perspective, not from a personal opinion perspective.

But how is downshift protection an issue?

It's not an issue for those of us who understand what it is and why it's there. But for someone new to the genre they may not understand it and think their game or controller is broken because it doesn't downshift when they tell it to. Or they have a basic understanding of what it is/does but have a hard time driving with it and say "screw this game" and go play PCars instead.

I'm not claiming this one issue is going to lead to a lot of people binning AC, my point is that more options mean more people can enjoy the game which means more money for Kunos to continue to improve AC. If there was an option to disable DSP, what harm would it do? It wouldn't affect how I play, or how you play, but if Joe Schmo playing racing in his parents basement doesn't like it I believe he should have the option to turn it off so he can enjoy the sim the way he wants to.

I genuinely cannot understand the issue people have with this new downshifting. Now slipstream is being called out with literally no evidence whatsoever. Ok.

What do you mean? You have a bar to config SLIPSTREAM EFFECT, do you think this is realistic? This is a joke! That's precisely what i say, if you can configure a "thing" that should be the same all the time why can't you have an option to turn some aids on or off?

What do you mean? You have a bar to config SLIPSTREAM EFFECT, do you think this is realistic? This is a joke! That's precisely what i say, if you can configure a "thing" that should be the same all the time why can't you have an option to turn some aids on or off?

I must have missed that feature, where can I find it? Is it available when setting up a server for online use?

It's not an issue for those of us who understand what it is and why it's there. But for someone new to the genre they may not understand it and think their game or controller is broken because it doesn't downshift when they tell it to. Or they have a basic understanding of what it is/does but have a hard time driving with it and say "screw this game" and go play PCars instead.

I'm not claiming this one issue is going to lead to a lot of people binning AC, my point is that more options mean more people can enjoy the game which means more money for Kunos to continue to improve AC. If there was an option to disable DSP, what harm would it do? It wouldn't affect how I play, or how you play, but if Joe Schmo playing racing in his parents basement doesn't like it I believe he should have the option to turn it off so he can enjoy the sim the way he wants to.

That may be, that everyone should have choice to experience something as they want to. But it's getting a lot closer to users dictating what a product should be rather than what Kunos' version of that vision was and/or is. Depending on the backlash that the studio gets from miffed users about either the new tires or the downshifting etc etc etc, Kunos may or may not change. I'd like for them to take a stand on some points. Theirs, imo, is the best simulator of racing I've tried, I commend them for their product as it is with pros and cons. I voted with my dollar for it and I was happy to part with that money and pay for the product as it was pre 1.0.

They've implemented a better tire model, new transmission parameters, 64bit architechture various other stuff. I've welcomed the new realism and adapted accordingly. Most complaints come from users that are not aware such features exist (have existed for a long time) in real life so why not learn something new. Why we have such a resistant nature to change, when it's for the better, is beyond me.

As Kunos devs said they are sad about the state that people are almost always talking about everything else but the driving experience, finding time on a racetrack, better lines, theorizing/finding new setups, etc etc. They are right, we always bite the hand that feeds.

I wonder what would happen when this "feature" is given the ability to be turned off and then engine and transmission damage is turned up a few orders or magnitude....

THREAD TITLE: WHY IS MY ENGINE RED AFTER THE FIRST LAP AT MONZA?

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 200 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%