Advise my rig / DD build

Hey there RD. I am doing research on my next phase of my sim racing rig build. I primarily play assetto corsa, but also spend time with Dirt Rally, have ACC on order. I am looking for feedback on my proposed set up.
I currently have:

fanatec CSL
fanatec P1 wheel rim
fanatec V3i pedals
fanatec v1.5 shifter
fanatec v1.5 hand brake
modified playseat base
2x Aura Pro bass shakers powered by an iNuke 1000 and running Sim Shaker Wheels software.

I am un decided on what DD wheel I am going with, but here is what my next set up will be:
DD wheel / rim
fanatec V3i pedals
fanatec v1.5 shifter
fanatec v1.5 hand brake
4 Play racing 8020 rig (see below need advice here)
1x Butt Kicker Advance and 1x Aura Pro bass shakers powered by an iNuke 1000 and running Sim Shaker Wheels software.

My first real question is will this rig be sturdy enough to handle a DD wheel at higher FFB levels or is the HD option (below) what I will need to keep things from flexing? The differences are in the width of base material, and the side stands. Does the base / frame material size matter for flexibility? The side stands on the non HD model look like they would support a DD wheel, but please correct me if the extra 1" of material width for side stands is required to prevent flexing. I am trying to keep weight down as I have to slide my rig around very frequently. the HD rig is 22 lbs heavier than the non HD.

4 Play standard rig
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PLAY-RACING-Video-Game-Driving-Race-Seat-Need-for-Speed-Most-Wanted-Shift-PS3/331642684369?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

4 Play HD rig
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PLAY-RACING-RACE-HD-Platform-with-Seat-for-OSW-Open-Sim-Wheel/332791763879?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Second question is how is performance on Assetto Corsa with direct drive wheels? I absolutely love AC and have read mixed reviews of DD wheels on AC. Any comments on this?

Attachments

• 20180423_195720.jpg
    20180423_195720.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
I would get the HD setup from 4play for strength but also for looks. I personally have a GT1 chassis from SimLab and its excellent.

In terms of wheel, i have an Accuforce which is a lower power DD wheel but I think most of us can say that AC is a little underwhelming with a DD wheel. I've spent a lot of time tweaking it and its now pretty close, but it just doesn't have the great feel the other titles do.

Best titles right now IMO are iRacing (i know...but the FFB model is good with a DD wheel) and Automobilista. rFactor2 is hit or miss depending upon the car.

Upvote 0
I think AC-FFB with both the AccuForce and OSW is very good with the right tweaks. I wouldn't say it's the best of all titles by any means but, very good overall. AMS is certainly among my favorite titles for FFB but, most titles will benefit from any DD-wheel. The standard by which we judge FFB then is at another level but, comparison between titles will still be inevitable in some way.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 356 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years