Advice required regarding connecting new PC to old LCD tv via Dsub

(bit of info) my Pc is on the right of my desk, desktop monitor on the desk. To the direct right of my desk along the wall is my driving chair, wheel rig with old LCD TV, so when I'm general gaming PC useage, it's desktop monitor...then when I race it's LCD TV. Desk and racing rig make an "L" shape, hope that makes sense!

TV is from 2006, still worked a treat on old PC via a DVI-Dsub adaptor, now I have a new PC and have 2 display ports and 2 HDMI (one HDMI used to connect to desktop monitor).

What's the best way to connect new PC to old TV (if indeed I can), I've had a look and there are plenty of hdmi/display port to Dsub VGA. Which is the best option? TV only does 1366x768 res.

Also how does Win 10 handle multiple monitors, can you select which one is primary (for booting up) and how easy is it to swap monitors? similar to win 7?

Hi

HDMI > DSUB you may find cheaper then DP>DSUB

As you only using 720p I see no advantage to getting a dearer one
On Ebay they $6AU

Refresh 60Hz ?

As for dual monitors W10 has okay settings better when monitors are matched resolution

If you after best game performance I would just run the one monitor
If you have strong PC not so important

Cheers Dirge, just to say I only use one at a time, desk monitor for general gaming/browsing then into racing seat and the LCD tv for simming.

TBH I have no idea what refresh rate the TV has!!

analog standard was used with early LCD I think ?
PAL region had 50 Hz refresh rate .....I think you could still select 60Hz in windows with some
NTSC region 60 Hz refresh rate
My 2 year old cheap 1080p 40" in Nvidia Control panel has 23HZ to 60Hz

Well I bought a HDMI - VGA cable.....then realised I only had one HDMI out (I thought it was 2 of each, D'oh).....so I bought a DP - HDMI for my main desk display.

Individually both cables work fine, but when both are plugged in I just get a black screen with a mouse pointer on my desktop disaply (using the DP-HDMI) so can't access windows in any way to try and get things sorted out regarding main display (I want my desktop to be main) . :( No simming for me it seems.

Is the resolution on second monitor lower ? That can cause black screen

Like if you using 1080p on main and 720p on 2nd monitor

Once it goes blank it will stay blank on restarts
Disconnect 2nd monitor then boot PC so it resets then re plug 2nd monitor while PC is running

It's black on main monitor, no signal on TV because I havn't set windows up with multiple display yet...and can't because I have a black screen.

Is there issues with running DP and HDMI cables at same time?

I have an old HDMI hub (from years ago when the HDMI worked on TV and I had my 360+PS3 connected to it), will that work in the opposite direction....i.e. instead of taking two 2 inputs from the 2 consoles and outputting to one to the TV, it takes one input from the PC and outputs to the two HDMI I need?

EDIT...just noticed you say plug second monitor in when PC is running, I've read that even though HDMI is supposed to be hot plug in capable it's not really recommended...thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing