F1 2020 Advice on going no assists in F1 2020

F1 2020 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi all,

I have played F1 games sporadically at friend's homes for years, but finally decided to buy my own copy this year. I am about 20 hours in and have started to get a good feel for the game. I feel like I want to go that step further and drive without the assists on, which is proving to be a huge challenge, but something I am really determined to master.

Does anyone here have any advice or tips on how to master driving without the assists? I appreciate the game is very new, but was hoping for some general advice. I figured the sooner I start trying it with no assists the less bad habits I have to unlearn with regards to braking assists, ABS etc covering up my mistakes.

Cheers everyone :]

Which control method are you using?

All I can say is that you need to be smooth with your inputs and don't hammer the brakes too hard unless you have reduced brake force in the settings or setup, cant remember where, may be both.
Don't be too fierce on the accelerator either as without assists the car can swap ends pretty quickly.

I must put a disclaimer here...
I havent been able to try this out with my wheel yet as the motors died shortly before the game released, so I'm unfortunately using a DS3 controller right now.
I had to change the settings to put a dead zone on the triggers for brake and accel and also add in some linearity to avoid snap oversteer under acceleration and locking up brakes when braking hard into corners.
I've not had too much time to test it like this but I was a little more consistent over a lap with this using a pad.

Which control method are you using?

All I can say is that you need to be smooth with your inputs and don't hammer the brakes too hard unless you have reduced brake force in the settings or setup, cant remember where, may be both.
Don't be too fierce on the accelerator either as without assists the car can swap ends pretty quickly.

I must put a disclaimer here...
I havent been able to try this out with my wheel yet as the motors died shortly before the game released, so I'm unfortunately using a DS3 controller right now.
I had to change the settings to put a dead zone on the triggers for brake and accel and also add in some linearity to avoid snap oversteer under acceleration and locking up brakes when braking hard into corners.
I've not had too much time to test it like this but I was a little more consistent over a lap with this using a pad.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. Apologies for missing out my control method - I am actually using a control pad at the moment as well. Don't have the space or the money to get a force feedback wheel at the moment but the plan is to progress there eventually.

I understand you haven't tested it much yet, but just out of interest, what values are you using on the dead zones? I have just started to investigate with them and I feel it's helping a tiny bit but still making significant adjustments as I look for a sweetspot.

No worries at all, I've not played too much of this kind of game myself, usually on ACC or rF2 but now my wheel has died I've had to get re-acquainted with the pad but with a title that at least is almost primarily designed for that method of input.

I checked and I'm running reduced braking force in the setups themselves. Helps reduce locking.
I'll check later on the controller setting values for deadzone, linearity etc., and get back to you here.

No worries at all, I've not played too much of this kind of game myself, usually on ACC or rF2 but now my wheel has died I've had to get re-acquainted with the pad but with a title that at least is almost primarily designed for that method of input.

I checked and I'm running reduced braking force in the setups themselves. Helps reduce locking.
I'll check later on the controller setting values for deadzone, linearity etc., and get back to you here.

Ah excellent, thanks so much for your help. It's much appreciated :]

I checked my set up, I am using traction control on medium...
I did try without on a pad and I kept spinning no matter what I did out of corners.
Maybe with some more practice I can do it but so far it's bordering on frustrating trying to get a lap out of it without TC enabled...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 310 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 207 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 271 13.5%