Advice on first PC sim software for console convert

GeekyDeaks

Staff
Premium
Hello all!

I have decided to buy a PC to sim race. I have avoided getting one previously due to my stubborn reluctance to have anything in the house with microsoft windows on it, but my taster of VR racing with PSVR has pushed me over the edge.

I mainly race GTS on the PS4, but I have been recently playing Project Cars 2 as I prefer the physics.

I was thinking of just going for PC2, but I never tried it on-line and I was wondering what compared to the on-line of GTS. Any thoughts or suggestions for other games? I'm not too worried about the odd fool who doesn't want to race clean as I have had plenty of practice staying out of trouble and not getting dragged into mindless aggro in GTS.

EDIT: I should probably point out that the on-line aspect is probably more important to me. I can work around slightly wonky physics, but a whole pack of mario karters is another matter entirely :)

Last edited:
Iracing almost certainly has the best on-line racing on PC. It has a similar structure to GTS. But its expensive. Other PC titles are heading in the same direction of ranked servers - RaceRoom for example. A much smaller userbase than iRacing or GTS, but much cheaper than iRacing. rFactor2 is also planning ranked servers in the future. PC2 as you know has safety ratings but they are rarely used for pickup races, so pickup races are very hit and miss in terms of driving standards. ACC also has safety rating (and dozens of other ratings it seems) and though not perfect in terms of on-line racing structure, seems a popular option for pickup races. You are restricted to GT3 cars though. AC has a 3rd party ranked server races known as SRS. AC is very cheap to buy, and has the largest user base outside iRacing. Must be worth considering. Especially as it offers a wide range of racing and road cars as PC2 and GTS do.

Last edited:
Thanks @David Wright ! - I had not even considered AC. I recall watching a few vids on ACC by Jimmy a few months back and for some reason I thought that was the on-line variant

I just cancelled two subs for TV that we were not using, so iRacing could be a valid choice. I was playing GTS between 9-18 hours a week, so if I did the same then I think it would be reasonable value per hour. Come to think of it, my wife still smokes and one packet costs nearly the same per month!

Try R3E and AC, first one has free base and second one is cheap. As for multiplayer, outside iracing, its recommended to find some kind of group/club/league

Get AC and join the Club Races here at RD. You will have a blast :D

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 354 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years