Advice on first PC build

I would really appreciate any advice and recommendations about what I have in mind for my PC build.

Targeting to play ACC, AC with plenty of mods (extra storage?), rFactor 2, iRacing, on highest settings as possible.

•i7 9700k
Can anyone recommend an appropriate cooler for this CPU?

•Evga RTX2080ti

•Corsair 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz

Would I notice much difference in gameplay with 16GB RAM?

•ASUS Prime Z390-A LGA1151

•Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD Sata 2.5

•2TB external HDD

•Corsair 650W 80+

Will eventually be purchasing triple BenQ EX3203R to run on.

Is there anything I have overlooked or underestimated? Or perhaps different brand of motherboard/GPU etc?

Thanks

Can anyone recommend an appropriate cooler for this CPU?

I'm a fan of AIO liquid coolers (Corsair or NZXT) but if you don't plan to overclock too much, there are some good air coolers like the NH-D15 or the new Zalman CNPS20X which should work well if you get a big enough case.

2TB external HDD

Why external? They generally cost more, run slower and (at least in my experience) are more prone to fail. It's easy to fit an internal drive and it's one less thing outside your case connected by cables and a power supply.

Don't skimp on the PSU. Get at least a Gold-rated unit with a long warranty. Also, think carefully about which case to buy. If you're not pushed for space, get a full tower. They're generally easier to build in and, with a few exceptions, have better airflow. I'd thoroughly recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It's a few years old now but still available, great value for money and really punches significantly above its weight:

Last edited:
I'm a fan of AIO liquid coolers (Corsair or NZXT) but if you don't plan to overclock too much, there are some good air coolers like the NH-D15 or the new Zalman CNPS20X which should work well if you get a big enough case.

Why external? They generally cost more, run slower and (at least in my experience) are more prone to fail. It's easy to fit an internal drive and it's one less thing outside your case connected by cables and a power supply.

Don't skimp on the PSU. Get at least a Gold-rated unit with a long warranty. Also, think carefully about which case to buy. If you're not pushed for space, get a full tower. They're generally easier to build in and, with a few exceptions, have better airflow. I'd thoroughly recommend the Phanteks Enthoo Pro. It's a few years old now but still available, great value for money and really punches significantly above its weight:

Thanks for the reply!

For cooling I have researched the Corsair H115i Pro, im unsure whether this would be enough or overkill for what I will potentionally be operating.

Checking my notes I wrote "internal/external?" Regarding HDD, would a Seagate BarraCuda 2TB be sufficient and easy to throw in?

PSU wise, is 650 Watt plenty to run the system? Ive looked for Gold certified as you advised and found the Corsair RM650 80+ Gold.

For the case I was considering a Corsair Spec-Delta RGB mid-tower, but ill certainly look into the Phanteks full case.

Thanks again

For cooling I have researched the Corsair H115i Pro, im unsure whether this would be enough or overkill for what I will potentionally be operating.

It will definitely give you plenty of headroom for a decent overclock.

Regarding HDD, would a Seagate BarraCuda 2TB be sufficient and easy to throw in?

Anything from Seagate or Western Digital will give you good, reliable storage. Very easy to install.

PSU wise, is 650 Watt plenty to run the system?

On paper, 650w should be enough but I always prefer to go for more than I need to give spare capacity for any future upgrades.

PSU wise, is 650 Watt plenty to run the system? Ive looked for Gold certified as you advised and found the Corsair RM650 80+ Gold.

With a 2080Ti (2x8 pin + PCIe = consider 375W reserved for the GPU, even if its TDP is lower), I would not even think about going below an 850W PSU and more likely consider to install a 1000W PSU. If you size your PSU to run near its limit, it's neither going to be very efficient, nor will it be healthy for your components in the long run. It wouldn't be nice or economical to have to re-purchase a GPU damaged by an insufficient power supply, would it?

A 2TB storage drive seems a bit stingy in 2020. My steam folder is: 1.5TB (87/372 installed games) and with the other platforms (Uplay, Origin...) my 3TB is nearly full.

I've been using a Gigabyte Aorus (OC) 1080ti with an Antec 650w psu for two years without any issues. Power consumption wise there isn't a lot of difference between it & the Evga 2080ti - certainly not 200-350w. If you do some research, you should find 650-750w (OC) is the recommended spec.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.1%