[Advice Needed] How do I go through the corners faster?

Hello RaceDepartment.

I recently this week started playing Assetto Corsa for real and I must say I'm having a lot of fun with it. I've always loved racing games but I'm a very slow driver and simracing is like a whole different league for me.

Upon many laps with the Nissan GTR GT3 on Imola I figured that I could actually go through the corners with much less braking and simply controlling the throttle. But still, I'm not used to it as I've always been playing it very safely and applied a lot of brake, making sure that I can go through the corners as safely as possible.

Now here's the goal that I have in mind, on some corners, I could go much faster and setting a whole new record. One thing that I noticed is that I might also be kind of slow in giving response towards the corners, especially during entering them. I seem to enter them at a much later time than I should, forcing me to apply more brakes to stay on track and effectively slowing me down.

I have a full clip of my replay of my fastest valid time, which was 1:51.91. I'd very much appreciate it if any of you could point out how I missed the crucial lines and how I should control my braking and throttle better. Not everywhere, just the most crucial that I'd benefit the most to improve my technique would be enough.

That's my biggest achievement throughout my whole simracing experience. Making a lap with a GT3 car smoothly. Somewhat. And of course, with the help of the game's racing line.

My goal is to improve my technique which will of course leads to better times and results. I did my best to improve my technique but as I go faster than I did in this video, I simply crashes the car all of the time.

Anyway, I appreciate any inputs and criticisms. Thank you very much! I will do my best to improve myself.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what about my shifting? It's really terrible right now IMHO.

Last edited:
@Kasti : I've always wanted to play the 787B but even the looks of the car is enough to scare me off. :p

@Feco : From my country playing to RD's server which is from the US, I assume, I would get over 300ms of latency. Is that even OK? I never played simracing online, just thinking about the latency itself made me stopped. :(

@Feco : From my country playing to RD's server which is from the US, I assume, I would get over 300ms of latency. Is that even OK? I never played simracing online, just thinking about the latency itself made me stopped. :(

The RD server is located in Europe. In the US club we have drivers from the US, Europe, China, and Australia connecting to the EU RD server every week and we pretty much never have any issues. As long as your ping is stable it should be fine even if it's up around 200-300ms.

@Kasti : I've always wanted to play the 787B but even the looks of the car is enough to scare me off. :p

Im guessing 300ms should still be fine, mine reaches that sometimes too from my location, but dont experience problems. Unless other drivers see me warping But i havent had feedback regarding it. Perhaps ping is more impt?

PS. Ninja'd by @Brandon Wright.

I'm from Brazil, mate.. my latency is always around 150-250 with no problem at all.. You should be fine!

If i'm not wrong we have US server as well and the US community is probably the most friendly. As i said, if you'd like to be part of this community, i can give you a hand to get started and once you are ready and become premium, there are a lot of guys that are always online and can give you a hand as well.
P.s. We can test your ping in my server eventually.

Oh right, I forgot about that @BhZ. It's not that I do not want to pay for Premium or play online at all but committing to specific timeline or schedule is not something that I can do right now as my schedule almost always change everyday. :unsure:

I didn't even touch my computer today. :( I appreciate the offer but I'll see what I can do if can even get a free time. :thumbsup: Thanks a lot and everyone else too for giving me the reassurance about the latency. :D

Well eventually one of the admins can create a server on his computer and you'd have a US server...i do that on mine and there's not problem at all for others.

It's possible, but not likely. You need a fairly robust internet connection to host a full server, I have above average internet but I can only host about 16-18 before troubles start to arise. With the official RD servers there's no worries about that so all club and league races are run there.

Oh right, I forgot about that @BhZ. It's not that I do not want to pay for Premium or play online at all but committing to specific timeline or schedule is not something that I can do right now as my schedule almost always change everyday. :unsure:

I didn't even touch my computer today. :( I appreciate the offer but I'll see what I can do if can even get a free time. :thumbsup: Thanks a lot and everyone else too for giving me the reassurance about the latency. :D

Shouldn't be an issue. There are AC club races run most nights of the week and there's no commitment so you can sign up or withdraw an hour before the race starts. There's no points or championship or anything to worry about or commit to, just one-off 30 minute races for fun. I've gifted you one month's premium membership so you can check it out if you want. :thumbsup:

I have a similar predicament. As much as ive wanted to join Premium, my time GMT+8 has been a challenge to cope with the race schedules.

Shouldn't be an issue. There are AC club races run most nights of the week and there's no commitment so you can sign up or withdraw an hour before the race starts. There's no points or championship or anything to worry about or commit to, just one-off 30 minute races for fun. I've gifted you one month's premium membership so you can check it out if you want. :thumbsup:
Man... I don't know what to say. Thanks a lot. I guess I'll check it out tonight after I get home even though it's almost midnight right now. Can I just be a spectator as well on the servers? :p

I have a similar predicament. As much as ive wanted to join Premium, my time GMT+8 has been a challenge to cope with the race schedules.
Oh hey, a fellow GMT +8! :D And indeed, when we're sleeping they're racing. There is a local server running from my country but last time I checked it's empty. Perhaps it was not a good time or maybe there's just not enough AC players from my country. Most of them are playing iRacing almost exclusively though.

Group C cars are looking awesome... but nothing to fear about them. And by driving a lot with the RX 7 you are used to the special behaviour of an rotary engine(fast revving up and the 2stroke similar "bite" at higher revs). Just hop in and give it a try. It´s fast in corners(high downforce), has good brakes, a lot of punch and an unique screaming sound. The 787 is imo the easiest to drive ingame group C car.

Last edited:
Man... I don't know what to say. Thanks a lot. I guess I'll check it out tonight after I get home even though it's almost midnight right now. Can I just be a spectator as well on the servers? :p

Happy to help another driver get hooked on club racing. :) If you're GMT +8 you might have better luck joining some of the US races since those would be around 8 am for you (I believe). We're racing the BMW M235i this Saturday at Barcelona, if you end up being free come join us! :D

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/bmw-235i-barcelona-gp-saturday-july-22nd-2017.138377/

Group C cars are looking awesome... but nothing to fear about them. And by driving a lot with the RX 7 you are used to the special behaviour of an rotary engine(fast revving up and the 2stroke similar "bite" at higher revs). Just hop in and give it a try. It´s fast in corners(high downforce), has good brakes, a lot of punch and an unique screaming sound. The 787 is imo the easiest to drive ingame group C car.

Sounds awesome but I will have to build up my confidence and improve myself even more before then. :p

Happy to help another driver get hooked on club racing. :) If you're GMT +8 you might have better luck joining some of the US races since those would be around 8 am for you (I believe). We're racing the BMW M235i this Saturday at Barcelona, if you end up being free come join us! :D

http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/bmw-235i-barcelona-gp-saturday-july-22nd-2017.138377/

I have yet to play on Barcelona so I might need a lot of time to prepare but as things stand right now I'll see what I can do. Driving the BMW M235i sounds fun though. I guess I should have some laps in it sometimes.

By the way, I have a question regarding the brake pedal range. What do you guys set it in game? I tried the usual 0-100 but I have to press my brake real hard and I mean really hard to fully press the brake. I have it set to 0-30% of the pedal range in game for this lap. Not sure if I'm supposed to press the brakes to 100% but I'm curious to know. If that's how it's supposed to be (having to press really hard) then obviously I have a lot of work to do with my braking.

That's most definitely helpful, @Charmin. I'm currently studying your braking points and your pedals as well. Seems like I'll have to go through these videos posted here a lot of times and study carefully as I noticed I can make a lot of room of improvement from them.

First if you drive gt3 cars w/o abs, try lowering brake pressure on setup. Im using G27 and most gt3 cars i setup runs on 94 brake pressure, so i can fully step on the brake pedals w/o locking the wheel. Next is adjust brake bias, then try one lap. Then adjust your braking point every lap, try also learning how to trailbrake.

My goal is to improve my technique which will of course leads to better times and results. I did my best to improve my technique but as I go faster than I did in this video, I simply crashes the car all of the time.

Anyway, I appreciate any inputs and criticisms. Thank you very much! I will do my best to improve myself.

My advices from what I've seen:
  • SETUP: most people say setup is not important, I say it is. It lets you be comfortable with the car, you'll go faster as a result. Activate the Kunos "tyres" app, put it in one corner of the screen and drive 3 laps with decent speed, then go back to pits and adjust tyre pressure until all 4 tyres have the correct pressure (green numbers on the tyre app. On GT3 cars is around 25psi if I remember correctly). There are up to 2 seconds gain between wrong and correct tyres pressure.
  • RACING LINE: from my experience the most time gained is on throttle. The earlier you can go on the gas, the more time you spend at higher speeds. You attack all the corners as late-apex: good speed at the entry, too much at the apex, too wide at the exit and you have to go on the throttle with the steering wheel rotated too much. Braking points are correct, but stay on the brakes just a little more to fully rotate the car into the corner and gently go on full gas as soon as you passed the apex. TCS helps.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 140 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 104 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 144 13.9%