Advice needed for a graphic card an xeon 1271ve

Hi guys, I would like to take some advice from whoever by chance has a similar setup already.

I've a gaming laptop in short i7 and 1070 but it's heating isn't efficient. The laptop is connected to a 32 inch monitor 1440p. I use it mainly for work and sim racing. I don't play any other games on PC as I'm console gamer for anything else.

I play mainly r3e, ams2, ac, acc. It's important to me to reach stable 60 fps in each of those games ideally in 1440p but 1080 with upscalling will do eventually .

In ams2 I'm able to achieve 1440 at medium settings with fps capped to 60, fps drops during rain sometimes.

I'm r3e in most tracks I'm able to get 60 frames in 1440p on medium settings. However, there are tracks like eg nordschleife where with full grid the frame rate noticeably drops even to mid 40. For that reason I changed resolution to 1080 and custom low to mid settings. That gives me stable 60.

Similar situation for ac but there most is on ultra side.

Acc doesn't matter what the resolution, I can't get stable 60 even in 1080p.

The issues are mainly because overhearing of the cpu. It gets throttled to as low as around 800mz from 4ghz as soon as it reaches 83 celcius. I tried to re paste, cooling pads, cooling hoovers but nothing really helped.

Enough of the introduction.

Under my desk I have a server. Server which I upgraded for silly money with Xeon E3-1271V3 3.6 GHz 12gb ram. The sever is headless so has no graphic card, I'm connecting to it using RDP.

An idea struck my head. Why not to add a graphic card to the server and use it after work for sim racing? The cpu is apparently faster than i7 6700. It does the job as the server perfectly.

I'm thinking about adding radeon 6500xt because it's cheap and the cpu is dated so let's face it, it won't run 3090 for sure. Alternatively, 6600xt which is twice the price of 6500 xt but should handle 1440p, the cpu might be the bottleneck though.

The server at some point will land in my son's hands who is now 7 to play some not only basic games, so money put into the graphic card won't be completely wasted into his daddy's hobby.

Would any of the cards run with this cpu Acc (most demanding game it seems) at ideally 1440 medium settings with 60fps? Does any of you have a similar setup and can share the experience?

Cheers
Paw

Last edited:
Do not do the 6500XT. It's basically a Mobile GPU on a board and only has 4 PCIe lanes. It's 'ok' if you have PCIe4.0, but it's slow as muck on PCIe3.0 slots because it's half the bandwidth. I would take an RTX3050 before I touch a 6500XT, and that's saying a lot coming from me (I boycotted nvidia way back... long story).

The 6600XT is about as fast as the 5700XT (my current card) and it gets the job done at 1440p without any issues. I have it paired with an Ryzen 3900X.

I have used a Xeon x5670 with a GTX 1060 6Gb for some years with 12Gb ram.
Be aware that I run a rather small 20" NEC 20wmgx2 with 1680x1050 reso.
With almost anything high or maxed out I can run AMS2(55-60 fps), Raceroom(60-80), AC(70-110), ACC(50-80).
Check this compare out:

Does your server run a server OS? AFAIK servers have motherboards that only have supported drivers for certain server OS, meaning you may be locked into particular architectures, like using enterprise NVIDIA Quadro GFX cards which don't use the same drivers as say GTX cards. They run super expensive ECC RAM which is why there is such a cost disparity with the consumer cards.

I did have an NVIDIA P4000 a while ago which is a bit more powerful than a 1080 - but the drivers were well behind the consumer cards and not game optimised. Its all about the drivers really. I would stick to a more consumer based platform tbh. Maybe you can use your server as a LAN server to play with your son :)

Thanks @Novopaine for the advice, I've read negative reviews of 6500, will cross it out of my list. I'm not desperate to buy now but playing finally with no restrictions is tempting...

@BrunoBæ it looks like your xenon is like twice fast as mine, if mine would be able to achieve similar results, I would be happy.

@markie44 the server runs win 10 Pro as I bought it with no OS and all I needed was hyperv. Anyway, I've seen posts on other forums from users who successfully put 1070 and 1080 into it. Psu swap is needed which I already have. I think the motherboard won't be an issue.

@BrunoBæ it looks like your xenon is like twice fast as mine, if mine would be able to achieve similar results, I would be happy.
Yeah maybe not twice but slightly faster.
I got the Xeon more or less for free via Ebay some years ago.
I had an old i7-920 on a 1366 MB and eventhough the Xeon was a server CPU and had a few more cores I could just plug it into the MB and start with very few bios setup changes.
Buying this Xeon is the best PC investment I have done ;)

Do not do the 6500XT. It's basically a Mobile GPU on a board and only has 4 PCIe lanes. It's 'ok' if you have PCIe4.0, but it's slow as muck on PCIe3.0 slots because it's half the bandwidth. I would take an RTX3050 before I touch a 6500XT, and that's saying a lot coming from me (I boycotted nvidia way back... long story).

The 6600XT is about as fast as the 5700XT (my current card) and it gets the job done at 1440p without any issues. I have it paired with an Ryzen 3900X.
You are right.
The name 6500XT should never be uttered beyond initial reviewers like Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed.
That card was a simple money grab and is complete garbage.
AMD and their collective board partners ought to be ashamed for releasing it.
Not sure why it is even a 'thing' still.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 349 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 483 39.0%