ADVICE FOR BUYING GAMING PC TO RUN SPECIFIC RACING GAMES

Hi There! Hoping someone out there can give this twat of a 43yr old some advice!
Currently, I use a decent HP laptop connected to m tv to play games like rFactor and NASCAR Racing 2003 (heard of them? - I hope so!) and use my wheel and pedals... Now, whilst these are both decent enough games, I want to upgrade and finally fork out a little more cash to be able to play predominantly rFactor 2 and potentially other racing games like iRacing and Assetto Corsa/Forza etc where the graphics are s*** hot in comparison to what I am playing at the moment.
Problem is, whilst I can see the recommended spec outlined for rFactor 2 on their website, attempting to then choose a gaming PC I find myself completely bamboozled with which is the right option for me to buy!
The recc spec for rFactor2 is:
  • CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel i5 or 4.0 GHz AMD FX or better
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • OS: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, with latest Service Packs.
  • VIDEO CARD: nVidia GTX 760 or AMD 7870
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 50 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2 GB
Ive got my wheel/pedals/tv all sorted and considering also buying a racing seat rig but in meantime, any advice on the actual PC unit I should purchase would be great!
Forgot to mention am thinking of a budget of roughly £1500?...
Is anyone from the UK able to point me in the right direction of a site that can offer me the right spec PC?
Many thanks in advance folks!

Max

If you are buying a pre built system you can get a pretty decent 2080 super system. At least at US prices. That works out to almost 2k usd. That will get you a high end pc no problem. Even better if you build it yourself. I personally wouldnt even look at any system that doesnt have at least a 2070 ti and at least a i7 ( or the AMD equivilants )

Upvote 0
Bang for buck, a B450 or x470 board with either a r5 3600x or r7 3800x AMD CPU
Intel would be a i5 9600k or i7 9700k with a z390 board.
16GB DDR4
RTX2070 Super
M.2 Samsung 970 SSD for OS
Larger mechanical HDD for games and stuff.

All this is within your budget. Would just need case and PSU.
Silverstone, BeQuiet and Corsair are good choices and get either a 650w or 750w gold certified to protect your system against surges whilst providing enough stable power to your components.
Case is usually a choice between size, looks, cable management and budget.

Upvote 0
Hi There! Hoping someone out there can give this twat of a 43yr old some advice!
Currently, I use a decent HP laptop connected to m tv to play games like rFactor and NASCAR Racing 2003 (heard of them? - I hope so!) and use my wheel and pedals... Now, whilst these are both decent enough games, I want to upgrade and finally fork out a little more cash to be able to play predominantly rFactor 2 and potentially other racing games like iRacing and Assetto Corsa/Forza etc where the graphics are s*** hot in comparison to what I am playing at the moment.
Problem is, whilst I can see the recommended spec outlined for rFactor 2 on their website, attempting to then choose a gaming PC I find myself completely bamboozled with which is the right option for me to buy!
The recc spec for rFactor2 is:
  • CPU: 3.0 GHz Intel i5 or 4.0 GHz AMD FX or better
  • RAM: 8 GB
  • OS: Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10, with latest Service Packs.
  • VIDEO CARD: nVidia GTX 760 or AMD 7870
  • PIXEL SHADER: 5.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 5.0
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
  • FREE DISK SPACE: 50 GB
  • DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 2 GB
Ive got my wheel/pedals/tv all sorted and considering also buying a racing seat rig but in meantime, any advice on the actual PC unit I should purchase would be great!
Forgot to mention am thinking of a budget of roughly £1500?...
Is anyone from the UK able to point me in the right direction of a site that can offer me the right spec PC?
Many thanks in advance folks

have a look at this a bit above your budget but they have plenty more I have used them a few times never had a issue
https://www.chillblast.com/chillbla...0-super-custom-gaming-pc.html?category_id=412

Upvote 0
Problem is, whilst I can see the recommended spec outlined for rFactor 2 on their website

Take the recommended rF2 spec and throw it in the nearest waste receptacle as that spec was written before S397 took the helm and released hi-res cars & tracks. At least throw out the video card specs and recommended RAM. 16 GB RAM and a video card with 6+ GB of VRAM.

Here are some cards that are quite fast (will match or beat the performance of yesterday's favorite hot card, the GTX 1080), will not draw so much power that you need a big power supply, and they all have adequate VRAM to tide you over into the future assuming you stay single screen:
  • nVidia RTX 2060
  • AMD Radeon RX 5700
  • nVidia RTX 2060 Super
  • nVidia RTX 2070
They're listed in order of performance, from 100% of a GTX 1080 to 116% of a GTX 1080. The range of power draw is 160W to 180W. Cards that are faster than these will draw 200W to 250W and consequently need a bump to a larger power supply than usually come in pre-assembled computers.

Upvote 0
Folks - thank you so much for your feedback! I have had a browse on some sites that sell the units but am lost as to which would be a good option!
Is anyone able to have a look to find/suggest a unit I should consider buying?
I really am not very techie at all and just really worried about buying the wrong thing! lol

Kindest regards,

Max

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 85 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 62 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 69 10.3%
  • < 4 years