Advantages of 8020 vs solid "standard" rig

Jasje

Premium
Hi guys,

I currently own a GT Omega ART cockpit with some added strengthening (vertical bars) and I'm considering upgrading to a 8020 rig.

I have an OSW 20nm MiGE and V3 Pedals. The amount of flex is minimal. No lateral flex, just a little bit when I really force the wheel up and down (I would say around 1-2 mm). Pedal tray is also strengthened.

Now my question, is the upgrade worth it? I'm eying the P1 of Simlab or a custom 8020, but I just wonder if it's worth the €700 investment over my existing rig.

If you are happy with current setup then maybe there is no point in changing?

If you are not - go for it. You will not regret it.

You will gain ultimate adjustability and rigidness plus sexy and smart (IMHO) industrial look.

Upvote 0
I was more thinking in terms of added FFB fidelity. I can adjust my current ART cockpit as I want (if not forseen I just mod it)

Just would like to hear some experiences about people who can compare the FFB feeling between zero flex and "very minimal" flex.

Upvote 0
I was more thinking in terms of added FFB fidelity. I can adjust my current ART cockpit as I want (if not forseen I just mod it)

Just would like to hear some experiences about people who can compare the FFB feeling between zero flex and "very minimal" flex.

That's a great question to ask. There is a definately a difference in the FFB feel. I had my Bodnar wheel on a Next Level Ultimate cockpit while waiting for my SimLab GT1 to arrive. When I moved the wheel over to the 80/20 rig I immediately noticed how much more refined the FFB was on the solid GT1 aluminum profile rig. The less sturdy Next Level rig which had flex on the wheelbase was absorbing some of the FFB.

I would recommend an 80/20 rig for a DD wheel. You can save a lot of money building you're own. I've made videos on my YouTube with downloadable plans if you are DIY inclined.

Upvote 0
The most obvious reason to upgrade is the versatility of an 80/20 type frame. There simply is no more rigid and adaptable system that can grow with your budget and goals like it. It can be hard to think so big some times, that you may want to add motion down the line, or make things adjustable or removeable with minimal effort. Once you have the foundation to build on, the challenge then becomes - not to wonder if it can be done but, which one of all the possible ways to do it works best. :)

Upvote 0
There is no comparison.. 8020 is like Lego in that you can adjust and modify to suit your needs and imagination.. all while being as solid as a rock.. It's an absolute must upgrade IMO.

Upvote 0
I certainly agree that 8020 makes it easier to modify and adjust, but I don’t feel like that’s a limitation in my Gt Omega ART. I have drilled and fabricated plenty of stuff (handbrake/shifter/button box deck, added 4 transducers, etc) To me the real added value needs to be the FFB feel.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back