Advanced HUDs

Hey all,

Was wondering who owns the best HUD layouts for Racer, I'm doing some testing with linear types & playing basically with overlaying/blended transparencies to get something that would look awesome ! :rolleyes:

Placing the 2D objects is still painful as Ruud states, but I'm 'simulating' the whole in Illustrator, from my first testings, it works quite good & I've boosted my HUD creation progress.

Hopefully, that isn't like Shift modding where we (crowrobot NoGrip.com) use to hex edit the whole with the existing content/objects we had by default....

Was also thinking to bring/port the Drift HUD from Shift 1 + the new telemetry graphical HUD tool of Shift 2 inside Racer...Anyone else with cool ideas ?

For example, the Shift FXX Hud contains rpm bars from 0 to 12000 rpm slightly curved across the texture that I'd like to interpolate from green to red.

I quickly checked it in Shift, yes they don't interpolate thru color (it's just yellow in this case).
What I had in mind was, to get some transparency on the final merged layered texture just to be able to see what's underneath, but after some testing, I can't recommend it. That's why the FXX Hud isn't alpha layered.

hudf101.jpg

The bars on that would be a lot easier to imitate if they weren't on the base texture, just generated programmatically to match a curve. I could probably whip up something like it with some playing around and had the backing texture to hand, plus the digital textures.

And finally with a satisfying 'glass looking alpha F1 HUD' :

hudf1custom02.jpg

What I want to achieve is to make the RPM bar (the green-red gradient bar) glow til that 'actual' RPM value. I have some ideas with masking techniques (a alpha box with the same HUD width) but I can't tell if that's gonna looking OK...that's because I'm dealing with transparencies.

All that stuff makes me remember the older times when I use to script/create graphical stuff in Flash...

Another related question, for the 3D dials, I have a F1 steering wheel with 3 LCD on it which I'd like to set up...From my understanding, there's no way of getting dials on moving objects like steering wheels ?

If this is true, then we might need a variable inside views.ini to indicate which 'dof' we attach to the actual 'moving' 3D dials...:redface: Thx in advance !

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back