Advanced effects on tracks - sounds, animations, customizing

I would like to improve some GTR Evo (or Race 07) tracks, but still I'm not so educated.

1. Adding sounds. It is simple to add a soundbox object, but I don't know how to define which sound should play in this soundbox. There are a few announcers and crowd sounds, but only the first announcer is played when I add a soundbox.
I would like also to add custom sounds, such as helicopter, ambulance, train, singing birds.... etc.

2. Safety car. Where is it defined which car is standing on the track? In .aiw there is only the position defined.
How does the game choose safety cars for tracks?
I want also to add a custom safety car paint texture. I think it may be easy to add this texture to the track.
Solved:
copy last grid position and renumber it to 103
copy from [AUX] LocationIndex=0
GridIndex=103
Pos=(x,y,z)
Ori=(x,y,z) this is safety car position on grid, before race
copy last team, renumber it to 51
copy [AUX] LocationIndex=1
TeamIndex=51
PitPos=(x,y,z) this is where safety car stands, Pit and Gar may be the same
PitOri=(a,b,c)
GarPos=(x,y,z)
GarOri=(a,b,c)

3. Animations - jumbo TV screens. GTR2 plays .bik videos on these screens. In GTR Evo the screens are blank. I often modify the jumbos to display sequences of images, just slideshows. Is it possible to enable .bik video support on the tracks? The game supports .bik videos in game menu and UI, but not on tracks.
Solved: add to game menu (the best in Visual Options menu)
Gizmo="APP_SpinBox_GameOpt_PlayMovies"
{
Position=(516,455)
AttributeSet="CheckBox"
Caption1="PLAY MOVIES ON TRACKS"
Caption2="c"
}

4. Crew. Tracks converted from GTR2 are often missing the crew - flag marshall, pit service. The tracks .trk files link to the shared folders with teamaps and misc, but maybe the objects are missing in the game? Should I copy the crew models and animations from GTR2?

5. Music on/off . I can select in settings if the music is played while racing. But is it possible to turn off and on music while playing, or play the next song?
If the XD developer reads it: is it possible to display song title on the screen, just like other data are displayed in the XD app?

Last edited:
I would like to improve some GTR Evo (or Race 07) tracks, but still I'm not so educated.

1. Adding sounds. It is simple to add a soundbox object, but I don't know how to define which sound should play in this soundbox. There are a few announcers and crowd sounds, but only the first announcer is played when I add a soundbox.
I would like also to add custom sounds, such as helicopter, ambulance, train, singing birds.... etc.

- I think the name of the soundbox gmt file tells the game the name of the sound file to use.

2. Safety car. Where is it defined which car is standing on the track? In .aiw there is only the position defined.
How does the game choose safety cars for tracks?
I want also to add a custom safety car paint texture. I think it may be easy to add this texture to the track.

- Sadly it seems to be completely random and not possible to tell the game what safety car to use.

3. Animations - jumbo TV screens. GTR2 plays .bik videos on these screens. In GTR Evo the screens are blank. I often modify the jumbos to display sequences of images, just slideshows. Is it possible to enable .bik video support on the tracks? The game supports .bik videos in game menu and UI, but not on tracks.

- I think you can enable bik videos in the player file

4. Crew. Tracks converted from GTR2 are often missing the crew - flag marshall, pit service. The tracks .trk files link to the shared folders with teamaps and misc, but maybe the objects are missing in the game? Should I copy the crew models and animations from GTR2?

- Flag marshals, animated camera guy and animated fans should be added in the .ani file. It is also possible to add the pit marshall that guides you out of the garage, but you need to add the mesh, texture and animation files from gtr2. Take a look at my tracks for reference. Animated pit crew doesn't seems to be possible

5. Music on/off . I can select in settings if the music is played while racing. But is it possible to turn off and on music while playing, or play the next song?
If the XD developer reads it: is it possible to display song title on the screen, just like other data are displayed in the XD app?

About adding soundboxes. I added two objects:
announcersound01.gmt with material ROADPITSOUND at start
and
helicopter.gmt with material HELICOPTER on the road
The announcer works, helicopter is mute.
Both sound files are in the same folder Sounds\Ambient.

I have to check the sound files - sample rate, bitrate and channels. They could be recorded from older games and they can be lower quality.

You say " I think you can enable bik videos in the player file ". What do you mean by "player file"?
Is this binkw32.dll?
Is it configurable?
Maybe there is an option in the config.ini that is disabled by default in Evo?
On the same tracks that I converted, the videos are displayed in GTR2 and they are blank in GTR Evo.
I even copied and replaced the binkw32.dll from GTR2, but it changed nothing.

I had a look in the .plr file, but probably I thought about this, and that is obviously not the right thing

UI Background Animation="1"

Edit:
This should be the right one, also in the .plr file:
Play Movies="1"

Last edited:
I was so afraid, because the .plr file is in Userdata and userdata is a distant folder in Documents.
Fortunately, I found a switch that can be used anywhere in menu to toggle movies on tracks.

Gizmo="APP_SpinBox_GameOpt_PlayMovies"
{
Position=(516,448)
AttributeSet="CheckBox_Movieplay" // it can be any checkbox
Caption1="PLAY MOVIES ON TRACKS"
Caption2="c"
}

I made a new Checkbox_Movieplay, based on CheckBox_AccelerateTime
Spinbox_ does not work here.
and it looks so. Thank you a lot.

play movies on tracks.png

BTW
I am looking how to move UserData back to UserData folder within the game, like it was in the older versions of Race 07.
It will allow to read, write and modify user files directly from the menu. Some people can read the location of Documents, I can not.
Generally I'd like the game to create all user data in the local folder at the first run.

Great find! :D
I wonder if that method (replacing type of control) can be used for some other things that are not used in the game?
Some things to test could be:

Gizmo="APP_SPINBOX_RUNQUALIFY2"
{
Name="GIZMO2218"
Position=(200,463)
AttributeSet="SpinBox_MenuWide"
Caption1="QUALIFYING SESSION2"
}
-Didn't work ...

Gizmo="App_Checkbox_Pitboard"
{
Name="App_Checkbox_Pitboard"
Position=(200,523)
AttributeSet="SpinBox_MenuWide"
}
- Can be checked and unchecked, but will probably not work in game

And this one: :whistling:;) very unlikely it will ever work:
APP_SpinBox_GraphOpt_PitCrewAnimDetail

Last edited:
Do you know if it is possible to add animations to the menus, except using bik movies? I would like to add a confetti effect on top of other elements, so a gif file with transparency would be great, but it doesn't work.

I have a problem with a new sound.
Which parameter is responsible for spatial / stereo effect ?
This is a fragment of specialfx.tec file and I don't know which value should I decrease,
to reduce the stereo sound.
The .wav file is ok, mono 32kHz.
@AndreasFSC do you know?

Dry=0.75 Wet=0.60 Resistance=500.00 BumpAmp=0.022 BumpWavelen=30.0 Legal=true Spring=0.0 Damper=200 CollFrict=0.8 Sparks=1 Scraping=0 Sink=0.17 Sound=water2

First I try wet =0

For the safety car, you need to do the following. Open your track folder and open the AIW file in notepad.

Scroll down to {AUX} and you'll see the default wp for the two Safety Cars.
Locationindex=0 is the startline safety car
Locationindex=1 is the 'parked' safety car.

Now. Directly above (AUX) data you'll see the last line of the (PITS) data.
Each pit garage begins with TEAM INDEX=

Copy the last batch of data for the last pit garage. Paste it immediately below the last batch you just copied. No spaces.
Now you've got a duplicate of the last pit garage.

The new duplicate you're going to edit. Change the TEAMINDEX = to read TeamIndex=51
The first line of text in that batch will be PitPos= (???.????? / ??.?????? / ???.????)
The WP points in brackets need to be replaced by copying and pasting the
Pos= wp data from the (AUX) LocationIndex=1.
Replace the first line of text PitPos= WP numbers only.
All the other lines in that TeamIndex=51 can remain the same.

Now, scroll up to TELEPORT, and copy and paste the last batch of text for GridIndex=
This time you're renaming that new duplicated GridIndex as GridIndex=103

Now your going to replace the new Gridindex=103 with the pos= data found under (AUX) LocationIndex=0
You're only editing that first line of text Pos=
You're not changing the Ori= leave that as is.

Once you've done that, copy the entire batch of text for Gridindex=103 , all three lines, and scroll up to (GRID)
and paste the copied batch as the last GRID data.

You should now have:
A new Pit garage as TeamIndex=51
A new Teleport Grid as GridIndex=103
A new Standing Grid as GridIndex=103

Your safety cars will now be lined up in the correct positions. And will become animated as the game requires.

For the announcer and Crowd sounds you need to create an ANI file for the track. Easiest way is if you find a track with an existing ANI file, copy that into the one you wish to add the sounds, and edit the text in notepad.

Your announcer and crowd sound .gmt should be loaded into the tracks GTR file.

To change the safety car textures, i think they are in the game data > animations folder. Open them in a graphics software and edit them accordingly, the game will automatically load them.

Just make sure your .dds are saved to the correct pixel ratio.

Thank you @Caribstu . I asked these questions 2 years ago. Now I can do all of them except sounds.
Some tracks crash loading because of the soundboxes. I have to take a look at the .ani files.

Pit options and music player are left "for later", they may be too difficult to implement.

To add a new skin for a safety car, copy the .car file, give it a new number (not used yet, for example 0006)
and add the texture to the safety car Textures folder, with prefix 0006_

I have gone further, adding about 15 new safety cars to the game. You can download them here
Safety Cars

Garage positions
Today the most problematic for me are garage positions.
rFactor and Bobs Track Builder use .aiw for 2 cars in one team. GTR games use 3 cars.
This makes problems with ending the race, starting practice or warmup. Sometimes the only way to finish the race is force closing the game by Windows Task Manager.

Does any software converter exist?
If not, what should I copy, paste, add or delete in .aiw ?

Last edited:
Thank you @Caribstu . I asked these questions 2 years ago. Now I can do all of them except sounds.
Some tracks crash loading because of the soundboxes. I have to take a look at the .ani files.

Pit options and music player are left "for later", they may be too difficult to implement.

To add a new skin for a safety car, copy the .car file, give it a new number (not used yet, for example 0006)
and add the texture to the safety car Textures folder, with prefix 0006_

I have gone further, adding about 15 new safety cars to the game. You can download them here
Safety Cars

Garage positions
Today the most problematic for me are garage positions.
rFactor and Bobs Track Builder use .aiw for 2 cars in one team. GTR games use 3 cars.
This makes problems with ending the race, starting practice or warmup. Sometimes the only way to finish the race is force closing the game by Windows Task Manager.

Does any software converter exist?
If not, what should I copy, paste, add or delete in .aiw ?
Hi, Abrimaal!
From the beginning, I want to apologize for my bad English, I'm Brazilian ...
Dude, I do some RFactor to F1 Challenger conversions for my hobby only.
I have done several successful conversions and domino on a good level all files (SCN, AIW, GDB and CAM) and
also the programs needed for this (3dSimedv1/v2/v3, Zmodeller, Guitarmaen AIW CAM Editor 4.22 and MAS-Explorer), besides knowing well
and even produce some fictitious clues in BTB. Finally, I've faced several difficulties and overcome several of them
putting in my conversions approximate thing to 100% success. But as the world of 3D is immense I still have
some doubts and from what I read of your adventures it seems that one of them you would know to solve for me, because
still see with much mystery the issue of files . BIK... The biggest mystery for me is that I have
three tracks, converted by others and not by me, that exhibit films, being: Magnificent Park International (France),
Long Beach (USA) and Jeddah (even in a different format, since it is on the banner of the start and not on a monitor as in the others).
Well, I've always made imports of whatever the object is from one clue to another, in case I needed it, and everything has always been
100% successful, but in the case of objects that load the . BIK I did not get any single good result, simply
the game breaks and in Scan Trace always accuses the absence of the file . BIK... It never made sense to me, because it's not a question
configuration of the game itself, since the clues i downloaded already with these files all happen very well. Like you, in your
last report says you solved all your issues, less that of sound (I don't touch much in it so I have neither doubts nor
answers to offer you), I wonder if you can help me in this; or someone who understands about it...

As for the other question you present, in the matter of garages, you have three options:

1. (the simplest of them) in AIW, you copy the second garage, for example:

TeamIndex=0
PitPos=(1105.939,0.008,-31.299)
PitOri=(0.001,1.358,-0.003)
GarPos=(0,1116.605,0.010,-36.540)
GarOri=(0,0.000,2.928,0.000)
GarPos=(1,1114.437,0.011,-36.886)
GarOri=(1,0.000,2.928,0.001)

copy the garage called 1:

paste below itself:

TeamIndex=0

and renumber these last two lines:

TeamIndex=0
GarPos=(2,1114.437,0.011,-36.886)
GarOri=(2,0.000,2.928,0.001)

Do this with every Team Index, from each garage; this will already solve the problem, for two cars per team,
but if you have a third per team they will be.
So it is best to edit a third position and then you have the other two options:

2. Edit the AIW manually, through word or notepad, finally, using a model object (preferably a car from your game) with the track open in 3dSimd,
you place the object where you want and edit the position next to the AIW, usually using X and Y, but if the garage is at an uneven
it is also important to pay attention to the Z axis.

and finally, the third option:

3. Download right here in Race Departament the program Guitarmaen AIW CAM Editor 4.22, which regardless of the garages is a very important editor for those who convert or create
tracks and even for those who lower them ready, since many AIW comes with settings that do not meet some needs, such as cars too slow in certain
or that do braking test in straights, these things.

Well, I hope I've contributed and I'm waiting for my doubt.
From now on, here's my thanks!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back