Adding new team/skins for cars

Hello, I love to paint and add some new skins for existing mods, but only when the skins are visible in the team folder and it's enough to change the line DefaultLivery in the veh file. As I want to add a new team in a mod where all the skins are packed inside the .mas file, I simplay can't, whataever I do.

My question is: how is possible to make the veh file search for an external dds even when mod has all packed in the .mas file? Hope my question is clear enough. tnx

Creating a new team? or just adding a new car?

The former will require its own folder in the mod, and all the physics, sfx, etc. files copied to it (or edit the paths in the veh file(s) to point to them).

The latter just requires the veh file to point to the dds file, which should be in the same folder; make sure the name is exact, includes the extension, and is in quotation marks: DefaultLivery="xxxx.dds"

Don't worry about what is packed in the mas file, the game will read loose files first. (You could repaint a mod car by just giving the dds the same name as the one in the mas and leave it loose in that folder, the game will then use it.)

Creating a new team? or just adding a new car?

The former will require its own folder in the mod, and all the physics, sfx, etc. files copied to it (or edit the paths in the veh file(s) to point to them).

The latter just requires the veh file to point to the dds file, which should be in the same folder; make sure the name is exact, includes the extension, and is in quotation marks: DefaultLivery="xxxx.dds"

Don't worry about what is packed in the mas file, the game will read loose files first. (You could repaint a mod car by just giving the dds the same name as the one in the mas and leave it loose in that folder, the game will then use it.)
Thanks for the reply. I was asking both things, create a team and adding a new car. Btw I tried to do both, and leave the dds loose in the folder to no avail; that's why I'm asking of there's any setting, any command line to be added to gen files or somewhere else.

All you need to add a new car is a veh file and associated dds file, these should be in their own folder. You can add a txt file with same name as veh, containing:

Description="Team Starlight"

Painter="jgf"

this will appear ingame for the car, but isn't necessary.

A team folder is only required for organization, otherwise just a folder for each car with a veh and dds file in it, placed in the folder with the hdv, sfx, etc. files; and put the team name in the Team="xxx" and FullTeamName="xxx" in the veh file.

Typically you will have a main mod folder, this will contain any files common to all cars and separate folders for each car type; each car folder will contain a mas, hdv, sfx, etc. for that car type plus the team folders for individual cars containing the veh and dds files. The team folder can have, to my knowledge, any number of cars in it.

Usually if something doesn't work it is either a spelling problem, a path problem, or a misplaced file. (I recently spent an entire afternoon tweaking a mod that had everything in the main folder - 3 dozen car folders, two engine choices, two chassis choices, different sound files, etc. It worked as it was but you couldn't properly save setups and tracing what files went with what cars was odious. I broke the mod into two groups based on engines, moved the car folders and physics files to the proper groups, then edited every veh file and hdv file to point to the new locations ...and half this time was going back to find a missing quotation mark or misplaced comma or a file I'd forgotten to move.)

All you need to add a new car is a veh file and associated dds file, these should be in their own folder. You can add a txt file with same name as veh, containing:

Description="Team Starlight"

Painter="jgf"

this will appear ingame for the car, but isn't necessary.

A team folder is only required for organization, otherwise just a folder for each car with a veh and dds file in it, placed in the folder with the hdv, sfx, etc. files; and put the team name in the Team="xxx" and FullTeamName="xxx" in the veh file.

Typically you will have a main mod folder, this will contain any files common to all cars and separate folders for each car type; each car folder will contain a mas, hdv, sfx, etc. for that car type plus the team folders for individual cars containing the veh and dds files. The team folder can have, to my knowledge, any number of cars in it.

Usually if something doesn't work it is either a spelling problem, a path problem, or a misplaced file. (I recently spent an entire afternoon tweaking a mod that had everything in the main folder - 3 dozen car folders, two engine choices, two chassis choices, different sound files, etc. It worked as it was but you couldn't properly save setups and tracing what files went with what cars was odious. I broke the mod into two groups based on engines, moved the car folders and physics files to the proper groups, then edited every veh file and hdv file to point to the new locations ...and half this time was going back to find a missing quotation mark or misplaced comma or a file I'd forgotten to move.)
I followed all your suggestions, at first it seemed to be working, but as I tried to replicate the process, it didn't work anymore. I also re-worked all the files and their location, again no work. It seems the line defaultlivery is not working.

It seems to me the graphics files are kind of closed ones. I don't know it's very frtustrating. I've painted tons of alt skins, and created new teams, but every time I want to add a team in a mod where the graphics are inside a mas file, it simply doesnt work. the best i can get is I see the alternate livery in the spinner, then in the game all see is the added team has the same livery as the team I based it on.
I think I'm giving up on it and keep painting just the "open" mods.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back