Adding character to offline racing...

James Cook

Marcas fan
First of all, I really enjoy racing the AI in R3E. Sure there are a few issues with the behaviour of AI cars but in general it provides a good challenge and is up there with the best.

However, I would love to see a little more character to the AI behaviour. By that I mean more spins, crashes and retirements. To be fair I do see AI cars having the occasional spin most races, although it only seems to happen in tight pack racing when cars get tangled up, but it would be great to see this taken to the next level.

For instance:
-drivers locking up/drivers out-braking themselves
-proper shunts
-drivers retiring through heavy contact with barriers or getting stuck in gravel traps
-punctures
-minor technical issues that cause a car to lose pace and/or need to pit
-major technical issues that cause retirements (blown engine, wrecked transmission, loss of drive, brake failure etc...)

I appreciate some of these things may be unfeasible on a technical level and/or undesirable by players. If such features could be implemented how about a slider for 'AI mistakes' & 'mechanical problems' and maybe an option to make the human player immune?

What do you guys think?

As it stands....number of cars finishing race = number of cars starting the race.

Many of the desired features were present in GTR2(!!!) and Race 07.
Should we expect less than that?

This sim needs urgently something really new.
Agreed, it's the reason for this thread. Offline racing is good in R3E but it's a little hollow compared to what has gone before.

I appreciate that R3E is still in development and that Sector3 have experienced upheaval these past few months. Everything takes time, especially with limited resources, but I hope that it's in their plans to make offline racing as good, if not better, than it was in those predecessors you mentioned.

Clearly online racing and community features like leaderboards are of higher importance these days and R3E reflects that. This game was never overtly sold as GTR3 or a successor to previous titles in any way, doesn't mean it can't be all the things we hoped for.

I have being patient since the closed beta...
You do realize the meaning of the word BETA right?
Noone forced you to buy content and download the game. With this attitude I'm afraid you won't change anything. Actually you'll make your experience with the game even worse. My suggestion? If you can't cope well with bugs and missing features cause of the current wip status of R3E, then it'd be better if you come back at a later time when those things will be added for sure.

This is a product, right? This is business, right?
What is the time limit for a "WIP"?? Three years? Four?

And about my attitude. Simple. I want the game that I have paid for.
ATM, not even the final results of a race works!!!

I'm sorry you're frustrated because of bugs and missing features, but again you haven't paid for a complete product.
You've bought contents of a game that is still being developed. The WIP of a game can last four, five... heck even ten years. It's up to you if you wanna spend your money and accept what is given to you at this moment.
Bugs can and will be fixed. So I'm not worried about results and such. I just enjoy the game for what it is now and report when I find a bug. Devs have shown they listened to critics and suggestions so I'm confident in what they're doing.
Game market has changed btw: it's not anymore like it was in the past where the games were just released (bugged or not) and you got what they wanted. Everything now happens thru Early Access which has its pro and cons (one pro is that you can actually communicate with the developers and make suggestions based on what's your expericence: look at what happened since they've been HEAVILY criticized when the game was put online) but it's up to us to agree or not to this model. Personally I don't like it (don't wanna start an endless monologue on the whys), but despite my opinion I can't say that the money I spent over this game is wasted cause imo, this is currently the best all rounder sim out there and it's shaped to be one of the finest when it'll be fully featured.

Agree on that, PCARS and Assetto Corsa are each fantastic games and each a lot of fun to play, but all are projects that are also still WIP (AC might say it's 1.0 bit it's still being developed).

We simmers ask for a lot and the downside of that is the time it takes. I realise that I have made a choice to buy into a WIP and I'm enjoying the content in the context it is in, but also looking forward to the future.

Six months ago, I couldn't be persuaded to buy anything from R3E after trying the freebies, but I dipped into the GTM pack having read good things and seen the addition on single races and haven't regretted it for a minute.

I got into the WIP Project CARS years ago, before I could run it, and sometimes I'm left with builds that I can't use or crashes, but it's in progress and I can see it develop. I like this new style of development and partaking in it - yes, it has restrictions, but I still have GTR2 if I want a 6 hour race with 100 cars and my own set of AI, but I also get to see the next generation of sims develop in front of me and I find that pretty neat.

Last edited:
In all honesty I prefer their way of doing. No ****-chat, no "promises", just a: we release when it's ready and then we get the package.
There are so many devs around that talk talk talk and then... disappointment (see iRacing for example). So in the end: I trust their work and their priorities. We've seen them turning this game from a really crappy start to one of the finest Sims around now (and still wip). So, in this world where everyone wants everything yesterday, I absolutely find more confidence in their approach to the game.

Fixed that for you.

Agree with OP.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 124 12.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 96 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.8%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 65 6.8%