Adaptive sync.

Hi,

Was wondering how many people are racing with or without some form of adaptive sync technology?

My last two monitors have had G-Sync and I can not really recall what racing was like be fore I have adaptive sync.

And also does it work with triple monitor setups of can you only use adaptive sync with one monitor setups.

Now seeing the new Radeon spec, I'm wondering all sorts waiting for real benchmarks etc, but may now switch my rig to AMD GFX.
I will still be keeping my RTX 2080 9900k system and will use my g-sync for that, my old monitor I can give to my daughter as she had a nvidia GFX.

Think if I go AMD weather I can get by without free sync and good for a faster spec monitor, so many developments lately my head is in a twirl

Just wondering what other people take is.

I have a triple screen setup using Freesync 2 enabled on the monitors. I have never performed an on/off test to see what difference it makes. I also get confused if I used run with V-sync enabled in games or not. I have tried games with and without V-sync enabled and could not notice a difference.

I was thinking exactly the same thing Dave, I have a 1080Ti and G-Sync monitor and it's about time for an upgrade. With the prospect of losing G-Sync going with an AMD card I've turned off G-Sync for the last week or so to experience what it would be like, and using the Nvidia software Fast Sync option which is like V-Sync without the input lag. AMD has an equivalent feature.

The other thing I did is cap the framerate to 120fps (the same as I have the monitor refresh rate set) in the Nvidia control panel, again this can be done on AMD cards too.

And to be honest, I can't tell a difference, it seems to be the same experience as G-Sync. I have been playing fast-paced shooters and there's no tearing or input lag. G-Sync is only needed if the frame rate fluctuates significantly or the fps exceed the refresh rate. Hence my measures to cap the frame rate to the monitor Hz. I see no point in making the GPU work harder than it needs too.

The games I've tested lately are pretty much sticking to 120fps 99% of the time, including AMS2. And that's with my 1080Ti, the new generation cards being faster means even less fps fluctuation. G-Sync I feel is more useful with less powerful GPUs where the framerate swings are more significant.

If you are able to match the refresh rate of your monitor without fluctuations, then obviously adaptive monitor refresh rate is of little use except to get rid of the tearing. Which, at high enough framerates, can be done without introducing too much of an input delay, yes.

Adaptive monitor refresh rates are only really useful once framerate dips come into equation (even small ones) to get rid of the judder/microstutter, or if you want to lower your input lag as much as possible without tearing.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I managed to get a pre-order form a Ryzen 3590X, so I'm now eagerly waiting for reviews of the Radeon cards and performance gains reported with S.A.M enable.
I'm really thinking I will get a Radeon may have to be in the new year

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years