Actuators smooth on laptop and notchy on desktop...

it seems as though I could have a communication problem between Thanos and PC... Tried two different USB cables (apparently third time is the charm so I'll try another time) ... Tried a powered usb port hub... Reinstalled windows ... updated bios and drivers.... My actuators are notchy and not smooth.... If i try with my 400 dollars Asus laptop, ac works fine and actuators are smooth.... I'm using AMS2... the more i increased the spike filter value, the more notchy the actuators behave... At 200 spike filter they are pretty smooth...
Anything else i could try before changing the motherboard?

• Deleted member 197115

it seems as though I could have a communication problem between Thanos and PC... Tried two different USB cables (apparently third time is the charm so I'll try another time) ... Tried a powered usb port hub... Reinstalled windows ... updated bios and drivers.... My actuators are notchy and not smooth.... If i try with my 400 dollars Asus laptop, ac works fine and actuators are smooth.... I'm using AMS2... the more i increased the spike filter value, the more notchy the actuators behave... At 200 spike filter they are pretty smooth...
Anything else i could try before changing the motherboard?
It could be ground loop as desktop using 3 prong power plug connected to common ground, when laptops are 2 prong.

Hmm, that is strange then.

I have heard of bad cables and issues giving disconnects etc but not the kind of issue you have. Have you asked on the thanos discord? That might be a place to go.

Depending where your pc is, I have had issues when I have accidentally had usb cables dangling very close to something like the servo drive or motor. If I have a usb disconnect out of the blue, I always check that a cable has not come loose and hanging near one of those things. Its usually the culprit in my case.

• Deleted member 1066209

What software are you using? Does it allow for a separate computer to control the actuators? I'm aware that this isn't a direct solution to your issue, but it would allow for you to get racing as soon as possible.

It could be ground loop as desktop using 3 prong power plug connected to common ground, when laptops are 2 prong.
Good point .. what do you suggest I could do?
One way forward would be to try and rule this possibility in or out. Why not earth your laptop to the same earth as your desktop PC? The clearest outcome from such a test would be if the problem then shows up on the laptop as well, as you'll then have established pretty firmly that it's a hardware issue and you can then think about adjusting the wiring etc. If it doesn't show up, that would tend to suggest the issue lies elsewhere.

• Deleted member 197115

I have used Ebtech HumX on my audio equipment with a great success, but I suggest to check with manufacturer, they must have some remediation steps for grounding problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
One way forward would be to try and rule this possibility in or out. Why not earth your laptop to the same earth as your desktop PC? The clearest outcome from such a test would be if the problem then shows up on the laptop as well, as you'll then have established pretty firmly that it's a hardware issue and you can then think about adjusting the wiring etc. If it doesn't show up, that would tend to suggest the issue lies elsewhere.
Ok. Thanks for the suggestion... How would I do this? The laptop power supply is only two prong ....use this?

Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002E4YI8/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_77QE3CN2KW4EKSMWE9B2

Also i was on battery when testing the laptop

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for the suggestion... How would I do this? The laptop power supply is only two prong
Many possible ways. One handy/simple way would be to just plug one end of a USB lead into your laptop and then touch the outside edge of the USB connector at the other end to any exposed (i.e. not painted or anodised) metalwork on the desktop - e.g. the expansion slots at the back...
The method should work fine whether you're on battery or have the power supply connected.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back