Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Kylotonn Racing Games have confirmed this September will see the release of the next officially licensed World Rally Championship video game - WRC 8.

Imaginatively titled as always, the eighth instalment to the steadily improving WRC franchise of games is set to launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and PC this September, and promises to be an all round improvement on previous iterations of the long running franchise.

New for WRC 8 will be a revised physics system across the many varied different racing surfaces within the game, plus the inclusion of what looks to be an already very impressive looking dynamic weather system, presumably adding a feature to allow the 100+ official WRC stages to be experienced in a variety of different weather conditions.

Of the new dynamic weather, Bigben and Kylotonn had the following to say during a brief press release to accompany the brand new announcement trailer:

"A new dynamic weather system has been developed to add random elements to the driving experience, but also to increase realism in the game. Managing the weather is a real challenge for the drivers: modified grip, car settings adjustments, tyre selection optimization, weather team relationship to ensure the best tips and information on the latest conditions. More than mere visual effects, climatic conditions become crucial, especially in the management of your career"

Of course with the title coming out toward the end of the year, the new WRC 8 release will replicate the 2019 FIA World Rally Championship season, including the latest cars and drivers from the official teams' of the category. Featuring over 50 drivers, including the returning multiple champion Sébastien Loeb in his new Hyundai, 14 different events across over 100 individual stages, WRC 8 certainly lacks nothing in terms of scale.

Most importantly of all for sim racers looking to get their rally kicks, Kylotonn have promised that "WRC 8 will go above and beyond WRC 7, especially in the steering requirements and the realistic physics of the vehicles" - one of the weaker points from previous releases.

As well as the class leading WRC cars, the new game is also set to feature a selection of vehicles from the WRC 2 and Junior WRC categories, alongside a number of historic cars. Team management is also set to play a role in the expanded career mode, with the player able to improve their car by way of upgrades and team developments, of which more details are expected to be revealed in the near future.

Exciting times for fans of sideways action.

WRC 8 releases for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch and Steam/PC September 2019.

WRC 8 Release 2.jpg
WRC 8 Release.jpg

Check out the upcoming WRC 8 sub forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news, discussions and conversation prior to the big game reveal this September!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I've generally enjoyed the game but the bugs get worse as the career wears on. I made it to the 4th season and the I lose and gain team members at random - even those I've signed myself. I always have many mechanics but I am often left with no team members in a single category for several rallies.

The team 'objectives' often make no sense at all - "don't use hard tyres for the next 2 rallies", yet the next rally includes a massive 21 miles stage where hard tyres are just about essential if you want to finish the stage! Even with 'soft tyres wear slower' career perks on you can't make the end of 2 long stages with any tyre left.

right, got ya mate, its weird one. how many degrees does your G29 do before it hits the end stop? you said youd changed the degrees in logitech profiler? dont forget to hit the OK button and not close the app settings window until youve hit 'ok'. i have to hit the ok button every time before the game starts or degrees defaults to 900 even though profiler will say 540. i also cannot adjust drgrees in game. try setting degrees to 360, hit ok, then close the options box and minimize LGS, start the game and see if you have more control. last option is to re-calibrate the wheel via devices and printers in control panel......... over

Can someone confirm they can connect to the online servers on PC?

If I select weekly challenges etc. I get message:

the wrc 8 server cannot be assessed

Don't want to waste time trying to find if my connection at fault as the WRC 8 website says all servers ok.

right, got ya mate, its weird one. how many degrees does your G29 do before it hits the end stop? you said youd changed the degrees in logitech profiler? dont forget to hit the OK button and not close the app settings window until youve hit 'ok'. i have to hit the ok button every time before the game starts or degrees defaults to 900 even though profiler will say 540. i also cannot adjust drgrees in game. try setting degrees to 360, hit ok, then close the options box and minimize LGS, start the game and see if you have more control. last option is to re-calibrate the wheel via devices and printers in control panel......... over
i did this every time

im struggling then at this point mate, if its fully calibrated, and working fine in other games then something weird is going on. try removing the in game wheel or changing view and FOV. something has got to be triggering it

WRC8 2019-09-21 14-14-21.jpg

Try putting a setting on 0 and trying it, then on 150 to see what it does and then find a setting you are comfortable with
t300
Overall 85%
Constant 100%
Periodic 100%
Spring 0%
Damper 0%

These are the roads I work and drive on every day and try to replicate the feel
WP_20190917_003.jpg

Is this game good or like WRC7 complete arcade? I'm interested in wrc plus cars but i don't like the physics and ffb of previous game. Is Sim cade like dirt rally 2 or not? Thanks.
Actually it is pretty decent. The sounds and graphics are meh, but the stages´, (except finland ****ing sucks i dont know it doesnt look anything like finland. and i live there.) and the game is not yet well optimized you need a pretty beefy computer to run it high and get stable fps. But it is 100x better than wrc 7

I'm using an Accuforce and I am really not happy with how it is working. I'm usually not that picky when it comes to force feedback and didn't even mind Dirt Rally 2 ffb when it came out but with WRC8, I feel totally disconnected from the road. Anyone have any settings that they can share?

Me too.

The strange thing is that when accessing with cmd ping command, it can communicate normally with 104.199.55.183 which seems to be a game server.
I am currently sending a message to bigben and waiting for a reply.

Postscript:
Are you using windows7?
If so, you may be able to connect by downloading and using the Easy fix at the bottom of this page.(https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/)
The reason is that WRC8 uses the old encrypted communication which is the default of Windows7, so it cannot connect. This easy fix describes in the registry to use new encrypted communication by default.

Last edited:
I don't think that IP is their game server as it seems to be Google Cloud. I am on W7 and that update is already installed. I've also emailed them asking the question.

I assumed that the online service was not available yet as I've not seen any videos online of any multiplayer gameplay. Everything else I have is reacheable via my connection so must be their server not online.

Been playing WRC8 a bit more.
The default setups are terrible, you really need change the setup to make the car more responsive and aggressive for a fun rally drive - from under to more oversteering, get the tail loose. Default they are controller boring.

Wheel, takes some tweaking to get tight.
Still not as tight as I would like, including throttle and brake.

Stages are a strong point, adding a fun rally game, not replacing the DR-series.

IMO

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 197 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 195 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.6%