ACC Version 1 Won't Have Competitive Multiplayer Events

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Matchmaker.jpg

A recent clarification by Kunos confirms Assetto Corsa Competizione won't feature online organised racing as part of their matchmaking functionality.

Having taken on something of a life of its own since the online functionality of Assetto Corsa was first discussed post early access release, Kunos Simulazioni have taken to the official forums to offer some clarification on what the online aspect of the title will look like come full release this May 29th - and to clear up some misconceptions around the meaning of "matchmaking" within the game.

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me - but, I've had quite a few community members reach out to me over the last 48 hours in various states of confusion and distress, so I thought it good timing to put together a feature and give us a space to discuss this in more detail...

According to the posting from Kunos, which can be seen below, the online multiplayer aspect of the sim will be broadly similar to what it is today, but the developers fully intend to continue working on what is already a very, very solid implementation after the game comes out of early access.

So probably nobody has read any of this anyway, and moved directly to the quoted passage before, so I'll leave off here and let you read and comment away...

We see some occasional confusion and rumors around what 1.0 will change in the Multiplayer system, how to interpret the word "Matchmaking" and especially what role the Competition (CP) rating will play.

Let's go straight to the point: 1.0 will not introduce fundamental changes to the ACC Multiplayer. We used the Early Access phase to introduce, develop and tune the most sophisticated "Pickup Racing" Multiplayer system we could ever imagine, and so far we are very happy how the approach begins to work out. We could preserve most of the aspects of a quickly paced, accessible system that made Assetto Corsa "1" as popular - while improving the situation in the aspects where that way to organize Multiplayer action has issues. We managed to develop and integrate our Rating system without subscription model or a huge shift in pricing. Despite the significant rewrite (which is a confession for a long term strategy) of highly relevant game-play aspects between versions 0.5 and 0.6, especially the Safety Rating is in a very good shape, while the deep integration into the whole system is expected to be a vast improvement especially considering the possibility to find good and clean races.

Of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione is close to be released at the end of May, which is not the end of the road especially in terms of Multiplayer racing. We will listen to the feedback, we will analyze our data and of course - finally - also regularly participate in the Multiplayer races - so an ongoing process of finetuning and improvement is to be expected.

We know there are users that expected us magically switch the focus and go for a completely different way to organize Multiplayer, basically by copying the other title with high competitive ambitions (and a very different scale, focus group, the resulting price price model and so on). It appears that the word "Matchmaking" was mistaken to describe the whole system of scheduled races, instead of just being a tool in the toolbox of suggesting servers that both match your driving/safety abilities, and additionally take care of your preferences and friends. The matchmaking aspect in ACC acts in a quite subtle way, and changes the whole driver flow dynamics (in a non-intrusive way) to overcome known disadvantages of server lists, like we have seen in other titles and also in the AC1 Minorating system.

I do not say we are not looking into our own interpretation of a non-pickup, and more competitive Multiplayer addition. Still, this would have the character of distinct events and being an addition, not a complete move from the Multiplayer system we chose to go for. But for 1.0, we are happy to have both a very solid Multiplayer base, a good concept of a server selection and a well working Safety Rating system including a fairly usable integration. The biggest disadvantage may be that the mechanics are subtle, and it's not crystal clear where the system has its strong points. Also make sure you are aware of especially the SA Rating, and we expect the Multiplayer action to be at least as enjoyable as in AC1 with a Safety Rating plugin.

And of course the list of potential improvements is long, and without a doubt we will receive a lot feedback to become even better during the next days and weeks.

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
Wow. Have they not heard from sim racers? They want iRacing-like, scheduled, regular racing infrastructure. SRS gets this, too.

Totally willing to give them a break for a 1.0 release but from the quote it sounds like they don't intend this at all.

I'm willing to let 1.0 rollout and see what multiplayer is like but I'm disappointed, if I'm honest.

The value of an iRacing-like platform is the sheer convenience of finding a grid of like-skilled drivers at almost any time of day in a way that doesn't require any searching or wondering about different metrics of multiplayer servers like number of players, passwords, team-only servers, servers with odd rules, etc.

They have a huge opportunity here to do what iRacing and SRS has shown is the most popular way of doing it.

I absolutely hope they reconsider it for follow-up releases but if they haven't even thought of the logistics this far then it will be a long time coming. These things are not simple.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing
I'm far from an iRacing fanboy, but it is the de facto standard for multiplayer sim racing. Not to say that every sim should copy the structure (and please devs, don't copy the pricing model!), but many or most of the elements that iRacing employs to give the multiplayer experience they are known for should be looked at as critical for sim titles.

Again, I'm not pro everything iRacing does, but their systems seem to be efficient for finding racers of a similar skillset easily, and races when you want them.

For me personally i already have great online racing with AC(SRS), iRacing, Raceroom and even Rfactor 2 from time to time.
I just don't know how i could even fit that title in.

No true multi projection triple screen support really doesn't compel me either. (i know I'm in a massive minority)

I personally hope Kunos take 3 years out and design their own Sim Engine and then come back with an announcement for AC2, its not like AC will be dead in 3 years.

There is no way ACC could do what iRacing does multiplayer wise without asking monthly fee.

However I feel they overlooked something simple like SRS that can get full splits for AC every single day.

I guess end of day, its best they could do with the resources at hand.

That Marco interview for RD made it seem like UE4 is nightmare. Lots of pro's but with many con's too.

Seems like a big opportunity missed imo, the only reason I continue to pay the high iracing subscription is for the unmatched multiplayer.

Pick up is great IF you live in Europe and are able to to make a club races start time.
As a father of 2 and working ft I need the freedom to race when the time suits me, and sometimes I like to do several races in a row.
All the sims that currently offer pick up racing are usually a ghost town after 6pm est in North america.

The game has been getting praise from many gamers, but a single class at launch, no modding and no multiplayer matching, I'll continue to hold out and wait for more content and info regarding the title post launch.

WoW i planed to buy the game next week and now they are putting out this crap :D What a deal breaker and now i learned my lesson never expect anything without a confirm. Makes the game so useless for me. And iracing will make a dance again.

Wow. Have they not heard from sim racers? They want iRacing-like, scheduled, regular racing infrastructure. SRS gets this, too.

Totally willing to give them a break for a 1.0 release but from the quote it sounds like they don't intend this at all.

I'm willing to let 1.0 rollout and see what multiplayer is like but I'm disappointed, if I'm honest.

The value of an iRacing-like platform is the sheer convenience of finding a grid of like-skilled drivers at almost any time of day in a way that doesn't require any searching or wondering about different metrics of multiplayer servers like number of players, passwords, team-only servers, servers with odd rules, etc.

They have a huge opportunity here to do what iRacing and SRS has shown is the most popular way of doing it.

I absolutely hope they reconsider it for follow-up releases but if they haven't even though of it this far then it will be a long time coming. These things are not simple.
I think it is not what they did not heard, what i see from their position and as EA adopter of ACC, they are trying to do their best that we as Simracers would get most polished sim here. So if there is a reason to postpone, let it be, everybody knows that even it is EA stage ACC is head higher than other sim's. ok iR guys i do not need your comments, i tried today btw Pcars2 - fresh install, and it was surprisingly superb! it is another game now with my Fanatec V2.5 - after this directly putted ACC, and i know what the thing is about, they are working not for nothing, it was way more subtle and greater! so pls enjoy driving, RF2 btw is not getting any UI, it could be only competition for ACC, but some guys can't manage ui and servesr!!! ?:D ok ACC here we go ;)

It is a puzzling decision. With a game like AC, PC2, or RR, your player base is split over a wide range of cars, making it much harder to provide meaningful matchmaking in any particular car class. But ACC only has GT3, so all the player base is concentrated in one class. Surely perfect for organised matchmaking?

No way ACC can do what iRacing can do without asking monthly fee? SRS is already doing it so? Yet SRS is not even close to iRacing pinkys... Paying for something somehow manipulates your brain to preserve your investment. While SRS service is similar, anyone can come and go with no strings attached. Honestly, a great idea from iRacing. That's the only thing they deserve credit. Free racers, I mean outside iRacing and RD events have lots of rouge drivers who don't care really care but to drive and waste everybody else's effort. Yes even in SRS you will encounter this once in a while. I'm pretty sure the same will happen in ACC if patrons wish to have iRacing-like matchmaking. I'm not claiming I know everything and evreything I know are true. That's just my experience.

From the beggining they talked about "Matchmaking".
What is "Matchmaking"? To pick a server that is not full or over your rank? Come on...
I leave here my comment in ACC Reddit blog, I share with you:

"Sorry, but I'm very dissapointed.
Are you telling us that we will have the same things that in PC2 (career mode, multiplayer online, useless rating system, dynamic time and weather, stupid worldwide best times, etc, etc) but with about 190 cars and 40 tracks less? for almost same price? We, who trusted in you early access, are already screwed; but why would anyone else buy that?!
PC2: 200 cars and 50 tracks // ACC: 10 cars and 10 tracks
I think the whole point was the "Competizione" and you seem to be failing us about that.
If I was you guys, I would be calling SimRacingSystem's people urgently. It seems that they found a magic thing that anyone else can't do: and for FREEEE!!! amazing...
Sorry."

I don't think the current matchmaking system could be classified as the same as AC1 server browser system. I think it's a step forward in the right direction.

I'm also not disappointed at all, but it would've exceeded my expectations.

Kunos had to put a lot of work to fine tune the Unreal Engine for the simulator, and this shouldn't be taken lightly.

And now, with this experience, I believe they can plan ahead not only their next title but iterate and improve ACC in many ways, especially with the feedback from the community.

On their statement, Kunos mentioned the pricing for the title not being compatible with the online services the community was expecting. But let me say this and rate this post with BEER if you agree (otherwise feel free to disagree or use any other ratings):

I'd pay a monthly fee to Kunos of about USD 5 to have this service.

Not sure if it would be enough, but that's a start.

If you would too, as I said, rate this post with BEER and let's make this a thing that Kunos can take into consideration when planning their next step after the release of the sim!

Kunos is working with UE4 for ACC and decided to partner up with publisher 505Games in consider to bring AC to consoles. 505Games now seems to partner up with Epic Games, so this whole thing might turn up to be a complete mess.

Just saying...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing