ACC Version 1 Won't Have Competitive Multiplayer Events

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Matchmaker.jpg

A recent clarification by Kunos confirms Assetto Corsa Competizione won't feature online organised racing as part of their matchmaking functionality.

Having taken on something of a life of its own since the online functionality of Assetto Corsa was first discussed post early access release, Kunos Simulazioni have taken to the official forums to offer some clarification on what the online aspect of the title will look like come full release this May 29th - and to clear up some misconceptions around the meaning of "matchmaking" within the game.

Now I'll be honest on this one.. I'm not sure why people clamour for organised scheduled multiplayer racing, similar to the type of events seen in such simulations as iRacing, so this clarification from Kunos isn't personally much of a big deal to me - but, I've had quite a few community members reach out to me over the last 48 hours in various states of confusion and distress, so I thought it good timing to put together a feature and give us a space to discuss this in more detail...

According to the posting from Kunos, which can be seen below, the online multiplayer aspect of the sim will be broadly similar to what it is today, but the developers fully intend to continue working on what is already a very, very solid implementation after the game comes out of early access.

So probably nobody has read any of this anyway, and moved directly to the quoted passage before, so I'll leave off here and let you read and comment away...

We see some occasional confusion and rumors around what 1.0 will change in the Multiplayer system, how to interpret the word "Matchmaking" and especially what role the Competition (CP) rating will play.

Let's go straight to the point: 1.0 will not introduce fundamental changes to the ACC Multiplayer. We used the Early Access phase to introduce, develop and tune the most sophisticated "Pickup Racing" Multiplayer system we could ever imagine, and so far we are very happy how the approach begins to work out. We could preserve most of the aspects of a quickly paced, accessible system that made Assetto Corsa "1" as popular - while improving the situation in the aspects where that way to organize Multiplayer action has issues. We managed to develop and integrate our Rating system without subscription model or a huge shift in pricing. Despite the significant rewrite (which is a confession for a long term strategy) of highly relevant game-play aspects between versions 0.5 and 0.6, especially the Safety Rating is in a very good shape, while the deep integration into the whole system is expected to be a vast improvement especially considering the possibility to find good and clean races.

Of course, Assetto Corsa Competizione is close to be released at the end of May, which is not the end of the road especially in terms of Multiplayer racing. We will listen to the feedback, we will analyze our data and of course - finally - also regularly participate in the Multiplayer races - so an ongoing process of finetuning and improvement is to be expected.

We know there are users that expected us magically switch the focus and go for a completely different way to organize Multiplayer, basically by copying the other title with high competitive ambitions (and a very different scale, focus group, the resulting price price model and so on). It appears that the word "Matchmaking" was mistaken to describe the whole system of scheduled races, instead of just being a tool in the toolbox of suggesting servers that both match your driving/safety abilities, and additionally take care of your preferences and friends. The matchmaking aspect in ACC acts in a quite subtle way, and changes the whole driver flow dynamics (in a non-intrusive way) to overcome known disadvantages of server lists, like we have seen in other titles and also in the AC1 Minorating system.

I do not say we are not looking into our own interpretation of a non-pickup, and more competitive Multiplayer addition. Still, this would have the character of distinct events and being an addition, not a complete move from the Multiplayer system we chose to go for. But for 1.0, we are happy to have both a very solid Multiplayer base, a good concept of a server selection and a well working Safety Rating system including a fairly usable integration. The biggest disadvantage may be that the mechanics are subtle, and it's not crystal clear where the system has its strong points. Also make sure you are aware of especially the SA Rating, and we expect the Multiplayer action to be at least as enjoyable as in AC1 with a Safety Rating plugin.

And of course the list of potential improvements is long, and without a doubt we will receive a lot feedback to become even better during the next days and weeks.

For more about the SRO E-Sport GT Series, head over to the official forum and connect with your fellow eSport drivers!

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
To those raising costs as a reason to back out...
1) SRS, run by one guy is doing it for free with a bit a bit of ad revenue and donations. Servers rental is cheap, like £20 s month or something. A trivial amount compared to their other expenses.

2) How many more copies of the game would they sell if they included scheduled, rated races? Suddenly they could be an iracing competitor, but a competitor with way superior physics and sound. Instead they're going to be just another (mainly)offline Sim, but without modding.

I think Kunos has missed a huge opportunity here, but then again it seems every Sim dev except iracing is determined to keep missing this crucial piece of the puzzle.

sim-racers want good clean racing, but more importantly they want a race to mean something, whether reward or punishment. Only in SRS, or iracing will I finish a race where I'm third last and have nobody around me. (Or rd premium events out of politeness) Sadly we now know acc will not give us this incentive.

To those raising costs as a reason to back out...
1) SRS, run by one guy is doing it for free with a bit a bit of ad revenue and donations. Servers rental is cheap, like £20 s month or something. A trivial amount compared to their other expenses.

2) How many more copies of the game would they sell if they included scheduled, rated races? Suddenly they could be an iracing competitor, but a competitor with way superior physics and sound. Instead they're going to be just another (mainly)offline Sim, but without modding.

I think Kunos has missed a huge opportunity here, but then again it seems every Sim dev except iracing is determined to keep missing this crucial piece of the puzzle.

sim-racers want good clean racing, but more importantly they want a race to mean something, whether reward or punishment. Only in SRS, or iracing will I finish a race where I'm third last and have nobody around me. (Or rd premium events out of politeness) Sadly we now know acc will not give us this incentive.
Why is it going to be mainly offline? There are 3 nights on club races here and that's in early access. I'm hoping for more club nights and a league as well so surely that's enough?

The word matchmaking in itself implies that there is a matchmaker. When people typically talk about matchmaking and matchmaker they talk about a system where a player presses a play button and then some matchmaking system creates a match (or a race) based on various ratings and other parameters and you automatically join to that match with matched group of players.

Anyways I think the reason why kunos does not want to do this is because they don't want compete. If you want scheduled racing your options are either iracing, srs or gran turismo. What all these offer is scheduled races and rankings and ratings and competitions. I think kunos just doesn't have the confidence in their own product that they could challenge the competition and provide something good. I'd imagine being gt3 specific title would give acc enough individuality so it does not have to compete directly against those other multi series smorgasboard systems but instead offer something very specific the others can't do. Iracing can not organize gt3 races because iracing uses iracing rules and championship systems, not gt3 rules. GT does its own gamey thing and srs is scheduled races for ac using variety of cars and tracks with no mind paid to individual differences all those cars and series might have in real life. Acc could focus on recreating the blancpain gt3 as accurately as possible whereas the competition mostly offers a generic car/track combos with mostly just accidental branding or rulesets that are not the same as the real thing.

I would not be surprised if this changed drastically later. After all the original ac multiplayer was very poor and fatally flawed at its introduction. Would not be surprising to see a drastic change here too just like ac multiplayer was fixed. I would definitely not buy the game on that premise though.

i honestly dont get why people are saying iracing costs loadsa money so if you want an SRS type system in ACC we should pay for it. Have ads on the side like SRS do. we dont pay for SRS and it seems to do just fine. stop dickriding kunos. Assetto Corsa is by far my favourite sim and i love ACC but to just outright say there isnt a chance to have organised races like SRS is just BS. why cant we have the system that exists in ACC for casuals and an SRS type system for those that want it.

They are simply very big liers... I am sure many people like me bought the early access mainly because of those announced features. Now they say we have misunderstand their words... Unacceptable.

See you on track!!!

So you would not have bought it if the famous matchmaking word had not been used?

And who else would haven't done it? No need to answer. I dont expect honesty on the Internet.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but how do you structure your offline racing? I like to do a bit of simracing most nights to unwind from work, but it is usually with the goal of getting ready for a league race...what keeps you motivated racing ai? Do you set a series schedule or something like that?

It depends on the sim, really. When I play F1 2018, I like the career mode. If it's R3E, I make my own championship, which I really enjoy because I pick the opponents, the tracks, the rules, etc. With AC, I favor single races or practice. When ACC 1.0 is released, I'll probably try to simulate a few single races then move on to a full championship simulation when I'm comfortable with the game.

The main reason I race offline is simply because I don't want to join a league. I want to sim race when I feel like it, not when I "have to" because a race is happening at a precise time. I get the attraction of racing online, however, but it's just not for me, I guess... ;)

iRacing: paying every month/year for the possibility to buy some virtual cars and tracks, and compete with each other, constant money flow
ACC: paid once for the full sim, even not a full price at the start. Never paying again, possibly.
what do you expect? They do not even have enough manpower for maintaining full-time working servers. And this statement was about the first full release, with all the cars and tracks of both Sprint and Endurance championships. Of course, they don't have much to offer now.

Not so sure that the safety rating is an effective deterrent as Kunos think it might be.

Racing today on a 65+ I was getting punted off the racing line regularly by people that just didn't give one. Though RD and several others do a great job of organising things, I had hoped there'd be at least some in game structure to put your own championship together.

It depends on the sim, really. When I play F1 2018, I like the career mode. If it's R3E, I make my own championship, which I really enjoy because I pick the opponents, the tracks, the rules, etc. With AC, I favor single races or practice. When ACC 1.0 is released, I'll probably try to simulate a few single races then move on to a full championship simulation when I'm comfortable with the game.

The main reason I race offline is simply because I don't want to join a league. I want to sim race when I feel like it, not when I "have to" because a race is happening at a precise time. I get the attraction of racing online, however, but it's just not for me, I guess... ;)

Nice. The reason I ask is that I am 99% online, but I fully intend to do seasons offline in ACC. So far the ai are unique and I enjoy the challenge. Maybe they aren't the best but my experience so far has been pretty realistic. The ai in RF2 (my main sim) used to be really good. Now they are unbearable and I refuse to race the ai. In ACC when side by side, they (so far) seem to allow space. Contact with any ai car in almost any sim means you get spun and they drive away like nothing happened.

Thanks for the response.

What does Project Cars fans have to do with Kunos not implementing a feature in there game?
I think his point was that SMS promise things to their fans and don't deliver, so the Project Car fan in the pic is essentially asking the ACC fan sarcastically if this is their first time feeling that way from something they thought the developer would deliver.

i honestly dont get why people are saying iracing costs loadsa money so if you want an SRS type system in ACC we should pay for it. Have ads on the side like SRS do. we dont pay for SRS and it seems to do just fine. stop dickriding kunos. Assetto Corsa is by far my favourite sim and i love ACC but to just outright say there isnt a chance to have organised races like SRS is just BS. why cant we have the system that exists in ACC for casuals and an SRS type system for those that want it.

If you don't understand why people say that IRacing costs way too much, it also means the problems isn't on the side of the people who say it is, but rather on your perspective of what is acceptable or not.

Feel free to keep on paying for IRacing, but at the same time have the respect that many many simracers find it overpriced...simply because it is. Raking in thousands to tenthousands of currency just to be provide an online server service is just insanity and has little to do with paying for a service.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back