Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Release 4 - Ferrari .jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione will reach the fourth release milestone tomorrow, adding the Hungaroring circuit and the wonderful Ferrari 488 GT3...

Most sim racers probably know all about the development scheduled for Assetto Corsa Competizione by now, and many of those same people are probably more than a little keen for tomorrow to hurry up and arrive, as Wednesday 12th December 2018 marks the day that release four of this exciting new simulation is scheduled to deploy to Early Access adopters of ACC.

With anticipation and excitement building up rather nicely, Kunos have dropped another new teaser image or two of the feature piece of new content coming to the sim - the wonderful Ferrari 488 GT3...

Only a matter of hours to go now folks, and we will be able to try the car and track for ourselves (ok my rig is at the shop, so I'll have to wait a bit - but don't let that worry you.. go on and enjoy it!)..

ACC Release 4 - Ferrari 3.jpg
ACC Release 4 - Ferrari 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now. Currently at build release 3 status.

To keep abreast of all the latest news and discussions from the world of Assetto Corsa Competizione then don't forget to check out our very own ACC sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Like what we do here at RD? Follow us on Social Media!

Last edited:
I'm not that surprised. The title is pretty limited in terms of content and the initial reviews are not great, especially on the graphic and performance sides. Reading how hard the racing community is with any sim, it was a huge risk to launch the game in early access (but great cash savings...). ACC is not another survival early access game, it's a proper and ambitious racing sim. As soon as it will be a polished product, the community will get in the train. Currently there is not any reason to race on ACC instead of racing on other complete sims. GT3 cars are in all the others sims, with more variety and more tracks. I'm sure leagues or organized races (sim racing system) are part of these AC figures. Once ACC achieved, racers will start to use it. The system requirements could be a huge issue though ; Kunos will have to find a solution for that.

I think the problem is more than that. The original Assetto Corsa have a constant user base. ACC had two peaks, the launch and the first update. The second update had not a peak.

The problem can be the refounds. The update can of course sell well, but two months later I can see that the ACC will be dead. It is not so interesting to drive the same GT3 cars over and over. For leagues will be interesting, but for the major people, I dont think so.

I think the problem is more than that. The original Assetto Corsa have a constant user base. ACC had two peaks, the launch and the first update. The second update had not a peak.

The problem can be the refounds. The update can of course sell well, but two months later I can see that the ACC will be dead. It is not so interesting to drive the same GT3 cars over and over. For leagues will be interesting, but for the major people, I dont think so.

Well Codemasters is successful with a unique championship game, formula 1, and the GT3 category is the most popular series in simracing (just have a look on the online lobbies of pcars3, ac and raceroom ; I personnally had to start racing on GT3s to be able to find races online).

It explains the choice of kunos to make this game.
And the company has done good things before. So potentially ACC shouldn't be a failure.

For sure refunds have been asked because of the performance issues. People are just waiting for the final product. Let's hope they will give the game another chance, if Kunos understands how critical the graphical and optimization issues have become.

What's worrying me is that people who have paid half price and refund won't be automatically willing to pay for the same game, which has disappointed the 1st time, later. This was the danger with early access, the 1st time impression, it was a bad decision from Kunos. They're going to struggle to get back racers, but with the quality of the job they've shown before, I'm sure they can do it, unless they can't find a way to to handle this UE4 engine (just hire more competent people or pay a company who is able to do it properly ; ACC's future depends on that, unexpectedly).

Launching a too advanced product for the market is a typical mistake, basic knowledge studied in business schools. Customers won't invest in expensive pc components for one single game, unless it has absolutely no competition. And there is plenty of competition for GT3 online races.

Let's stay positive, I'm sure Kunos is going to solved ACC current critical issues, as it is in early access, it seems everyone forget it, and being the official blancpain sim, with a lot of attention to details, and the promised online rating system, people will come to it...

It is really possible that in Kuno's plans the optimization was included in the last milestones of the development, but going for early access brings other priorities, those of the 1st customers...

Last edited:
3 cars and 3 tracks after tomorrow (or is it 4 of each?) and multiplayer is only for practice… lots of alternatives to that today, so it's no wonder owners check it out and then go back to what they were doing. I have no doubt ACC popularity will increase when it's more than a demo. Audience will definitely be smaller than AC because it includes no street cars for the drifter/touge/trackday crowd (remember that's 1/3-1/2 of AC's audience); they're also happier with dry weather and permanent day or night, so have little use for the day/night cycle.

Of course GamerMuscle will tell you you absolutely need 4K resolution. You also absolutely need an RTX 2080, and a OSW DD wheel, and a custom rig with Heusinkveld Pro pedals and special custom H-shifter, and a VR headset, and a PC running i9-9900k powering it all. You absolutely need all of that, without a doubt. Because obviously that's the kind of setup ACC is "optimized" for to give you the top notch experience.
Well of course anyone would tell you that you need the best specs to enjoy the game at its best!
Some people saying "do i really need higher than 1080p to enjoy the game at highest graphics" ffs people it's obvious! More power, more pixels looks better! If you have a 1050ti and can't run a game from 2018 at Ultra why cry!
Different if you have top teir specs and can't run at 1080p but when running potato specs you can't expect Ultra!
If game makers make games to run on potato PC we will never have good looking games, surely people want photo realistic image quality and want our games to evolve, just start saving or get a console;)

Absolutely agree we'll all have to upgrade at some point, but the 1050ti is still a decent little card as it runs most other sims on high, and this ultra wide I just picked up has been on the market for 14 months. What's the shelf life on a monitor these days?

GamerMuscle said in that video most PC gamers are running 1440 or 4K, I disagree. I have no evidence but I would think most of us are running 1080p with mid 10 series cards.
Ya, I'm not sure what to do with my monitor situation...Money is always the main obstacle, and I exceeded my budget long time ago, as I too have to answer for the money I spend. Hopefully by final release, Kunos will have the game optimized enough for mid range PC's.

I know I can't spend anymore on this **** for at least another year.

What planet are you people on? 1070 just passes as a decent 1080p card now!
PC parts age very quickly
You're overexagerating. With a i7-2600k from... 2010, a gtx1070, I can run any current game in 1080p at 60fps (on a TV ; I would get much better perfomances on a dedicated pc screen). Still using the cheapest decent motherboard I could find in 2010.
The only things I've changed since then are the gpu (from a gtx970 to a 1070) and the ram (from 8go to 16go).

Only x-plane 11 with badly optimized sceneries gives me real trouble. I'm just thinking now about the opportunity to change some components, but unfortunately, after several generations of components since 2010, I would have to change many of them and I still don't think it's necessary just for one unique game (x-plane). You can basically buy a 200$ second hand pc and add a new gpu and run every current game in good conditions. PC components age very well if you know how to chose them. The rythm of technological improvements in performances during the last 10 years has been slowing down. Oooops sorry, I've experienced some strange FPS issues in Insurgency Sandstorm when I tried it, as 95% of people, so the issue is not because of my system.

I do not complain about ACC performance. I just did a few laps in bad weather conditions without any performance issues ; visuals are not great onboard though, and in replays I get some artefacts around the car, dots and ghosting. I need to race with AI to see how it performs. But reading how people are struggling with modern systems, there is an issue with the game optimization.

Stating that a 400$ GPU (the price of a last gen console) is an obsolete component will not save ACC from a failure. Proof is, most of the sim racers are complaining about the performance. If you want to play with the 3 sim racers who own the latest GPU, cool for you, you won't meet more than 5 people on a less than daily basis, the game is dead...

You should realize you live on a planet with general decreasing revenues for the middle class (the engine of the economy) and where people have other interests than spending 1000$ a year to keep having the latest futile technologies installed on their PC.

Last edited:
Unless Valve changed their policy at some point you can't refund early access titles.
You can for insurgency sandstorm. Don't know for ACC, as someone mentionned it I thought it was the case. If not, it's better for ACC, it would mean people are just waiting for the complete game... But I assume that anyway, steam's 14 days / 2 hours limits conditions apply to the ea titles too.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 375 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.9%