Paul Jeffrey

Premium
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (7).png

With Assetto Corsa Competizione reaching the latest milestone of build 2, @Aristotelis shares a few words about the new car that arrived in sim today...

Today is a pretty good day to be a sim racer thanks to Kunos Simulazioni and the new build of Assetto Corsa Competizione having released, and if you just haven't quite had enough excitement for a mid week day in October, Kunos physics expert @Aristotelis has only gone and posted some more interesting background information on the new for ACC Bentley Continental GT3...

ACC Screenshot 0.2  (8).png

The first-gen Bentley Continental GT3 car is... a tricky beast to say the least. The car is heavily based on the street version and this translates in certain aspects of its handling characteristics.

Although the big V8 twin turbo engine is placed behind the front wheels, the car still has more front weight bias. This, together with a higher center of gravity than other GT3 cars, makes the car more prone to roll during turns and results in more weight shifting. On the other hand, the Blancpain Balance of Performance (BoP) permits bigger front tyres for FR cars and those do help the Bentley to have a surprisingly good turn in.

The front weight bias provokes a moderate understeer in mid turn, but it is easily manageable by pressing a bit more on the accelerator and letting the big engine rotate the rear end and point the nose towards the exit of the turn.

Speaking of which, the 4.0-liter V8 twin turbo engine is obviously heavily restricted, but the BOP permits higher torque and power outputs for cars with significant frontal area and thus high drag. As a result, the engine delivers more than 650Nm of torque for a very wide range of revs and around 550bhp of maximum power.

This is both a blessing and a curse as they say. The massive amount of torque is putting under big stress the fat rear tyres and more often than not, manages to break traction, aided by the fact that the rear end is lighter than the front. The traction control does help a lot but it is very intrusive doing so. Lower TC levels are needed in order to get all the potential performance of the car, but it seems that its response is not linear and at lower levels the torque and power can be delivered very violently and can make the rear wheels spin a lot before intervening. When this happens, the very big body of the car can become quite a handful to control, showcasing a completely different aspect of its handling characteristics and becoming much more difficult to control.

The aerodynamics, as usual, play a big role in the performance of any GT3 car. The Bentley is big, there is no denying about it. The frontal area creates a lot of drag and this is only partly counterbalanced by the powerful engine. Certainly the car accelerates very fast out of the slow to medium speed turns, but at higher speeds it simply hits a wall. Not much that can be done about it.

The very long front splitter is another aspect that you must consider. Although it produces quite a big amount of downforce, it is very prone to touch the ground and especially the kerbs. The splitter is very strong to be able to sustain the downforce but on the other hand it means that when you hit a kerb with it, if it not breaks, it can make the front end jump and instantly lose all grip from the front end. Take into consideration this fact when setting the front ride height and the rake of the car. A compromise is needed to keep the splitter off the ground while still producing enough downforce. The very same compromise might introduce a moderate understeer at high speed turns, when the power isn’t enough to make the rear end aid the turning.

Finally, the high drag figures, certainly do not help much with fuel consumption, and the tyres might suffer from all the torque available. Nevertheless, with the proper TC and ABS levels, the car can easily achieve impressive laptimes, but in order to find out the extra hidden performance you need to lean less on the electronic systems and more on your driving skills.
Assetto Corsa Competizione is available on Steam Early Access now.

ACC Screenshot 0.2  (10).png
ACC Screenshot 0.2  (9).png

Check out the Assetto Corsa Competizione here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding this exciting sim. We intend to host some quality League and Club Racing events as well as hosting some great community created mods (we hope!). Join in the discussion today.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media! We've got tons of cool stuff to explore, just click on one (or all!) of the links below to find out more...

Did you enjoy the latest blog post from Aris? Enjoying ACC? Like the Gen1 Bentley? Let us know your thoughts below!

Last edited:
I ran a few laps around Misano and it felt brilliant. You really feel connected to the tarmac, FFB spot on in my opinion, and for as much I love R3E (I do, fact), i think its approach to FFB is very awkward to say the least. Au contraire, ACC and AMS for ex. (the ones I know), have this much more logical approach, where you simply just have to slide more or less strenght/force basically, that's it. All the subletities should remain work of the developers and not your job to (more often than not) screw everything up pushing endless sliders up and down...
But back to ACC. really loved the BIG FAT Bentley and the Misano track. Awsome stuff!! AI was good fun at 90% but there should be a way to bypass the formation lap b/c everytime you restart the race its a pain in the *** to go through it all again...
Keep it up Kunos, cant wait for all the forecoming features in the future.
Thank you.

For the really important question,does track ir work?

Away from Percy the PC for a day (yes I name everything),so can’t indulge in ACC glory.

I am writing this message on Igor the ipad.

Nope. I guess I'll be staying away from ACC for a while. There's only so long you can drive with your view fixed straight out the front window. No ability to even quickly glance to the side, check mirrors, etc.
I was finally able to map 'Look Left/ Right'. It just takes some figuring out sir. If I could remember how I did it, I'd gladly tell you. A very frustrating menu as it stand now. Jack

• Deleted member 151827

I just can't seem to like the new ac! I tried again today and couldn't even get my fanatec setup to map correctly. I tried to escape out and that wouldn't even work! I had to cad out! I'll try back in later updates! I still believe.

Spent some time with it today. The car is fine. Track is good. I like the FFB, but nothing's changed in that respect.

I agree though...the VR. Oh man is it bad. Bad enough that I prefer the VR in PCars2 and well, that says it all. The problem is the temporal aliasing that comes with the Unreal engine. By its nature, it makes everything blurry except what is immediately in front of you. In VR, this means that the wheel is in focus but the dash is so blurry its hard to read the LCD display. The horizon looks like a blurry mess. Yes, the jaggies are gone but its so blurry you might as well not care.

If you turn it off or move to FXAA, the clarity returns but the jaggies are all over the place even on Ultra settings.

I'm worried for this title now. I really like AC and I have high hopes for ACC, but they aren't sure they can do proper triple screen support (not supported by default in ACC) and the VR is a blurry mess.

Everyone complaining is also forgetting Early Access. If you can't give constructive feedback but can only cry around on how bad it is, then why the hell are you participating in Alpha/Beta builds? For a developer, "it sucks" and "I don't like it" are very weird user stories to fix.

Spent some time with it today. The car is fine. Track is good. I like the FFB, but nothing's changed in that respect.

I agree though...the VR. Oh man is it bad. Bad enough that I prefer the VR in PCars2 and well, that says it all. The problem is the temporal aliasing that comes with the Unreal engine. By its nature, it makes everything blurry except what is immediately in front of you. In VR, this means that the wheel is in focus but the dash is so blurry its hard to read the LCD display. The horizon looks like a blurry mess. Yes, the jaggies are gone but its so blurry you might as well not care.

If you turn it off or move to FXAA, the clarity returns but the jaggies are all over the place even on Ultra settings.

I'm worried for this title now. I really like AC and I have high hopes for ACC, but they aren't sure they can do proper triple screen support (not supported by default in ACC) and the VR is a blurry mess.
this is why many unreal games come with sharpening, that will likely help you. If AC's sharpening setting doesnt help brute force it via nvidia/amds respective control panels.

I tried to escape out and that wouldn't even work! I had to cad out! I'll try back in later updates! I still believe.

Yes, that is one of my complains about the UI, too. If I hit esc I guess there's a popup opening up out of my view or something, at least the car stops. If I use left on the directional buttons and than button 1 i can cancel the race. Still haven't figured out how to teleport to the box. Or maybe that's not possible at all, I don't know.

I tested (just some laps) the new Bentley.
Just two comments.
- It looks fantastic
- It sounds fantastic

Misano ? To soon to judge . I don't know the track and I just made a few laps.

Other thing ?
I must look at it carefully, but i have been a little disapointed to see that at least some of the old "Events" are gone.
We have all put some efforts to improve our laptime with the Lamborghini at the Nurburgring, and the leaderboard is gone together with this event .
Bad :( (i hope I am wrong and just did not see that well into the game)

I like the FFB, but nothing's changed in that respect.
There aren't necessarily changes, unless you make them yourself = edit the new FFB sliders.

I put the new setting called "Dynamic Damping" much lower (close to zero) which feels much better to me, on my T500. Much more like old AC (where I didn't use gyroscopic effects, I believe this is the same thing and the intensity of the effect).

Heard several others (who disliked FFB earlier) say the same. The difference is very very clear, like complete different game. There is 2 new sliders in the FFB menu, I left Road effects at 0%

Of course if you liked the FFB before, you shouldn't probably touch it

Last edited:
i admit that i found the Bentley a big surprise. It's completely opposite of Huracan, it's soft, precise and can be saved from happy tailing.
From graphics performance, i feel the game is more fluid than previous version. Misano is really well reproduced. It looks sponsorless, but except from MotoGP/SBK event there aren't many big events. For other settings and FBB i'll try later.

From replay side, damn, why they keep that horrible vignette filter? Take it off goddamnit!

20181010234601_1sjd68.jpg

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing